Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi I'm new :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:36 AM
WithStarsInHerEyes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi I'm new :)

I have tried and tried and tried for three days to use the search. At first I thought it didn't work because I wasn't registered but I tried today and it will work sometimes and others I got an error message... probably an AOL thing. So if I am asking questions you have patiently answer 1 zillion times, please forgive me and feel free to refer me to any link, or other site I should read. Perhaps this is life training me for the patience owning a Porsche will require?? *grins*

OK me: I drive a Honda and a New Beetle. I want a Porsche (my first car that *I* buy and I pay to maintain). I have wanted a 1988 Porsche 944 since 1988 (which is a long time ago when were born in 83!).

I've been saving and I've been looking at cars and I'm trying to read anything and everything I can. Most cars I've looked at have been under the NADA price quotes and I'm only considering ones with some records (not necessarily all of them but at least a reasonable amount) and nothing with a rebuilt engine so this makes me nervous about buying. Should I be??

I would like to do as much of the work as possible because I love the car and I want to make it mine. I’m trying to read everything I can about them/working on them. I know that the time I put in would probably make paying for it cheaper if I earned the money at McDonalds making 4.50 an hour or something, but I really want to do this. I also know I am not the most experienced person. I do have some professional help from friends or family friends available and lots of back yard mechanics but most have little or no experience with Porsches.

I know I can buy one, I know I can get it where I want it appearance wise and I have realistic ideas about what I want and how much it will cost to make it look like that, with a 20% buffer planned.

I don’t know how much it will cost to maintain it or how much work, if I am willing to devote the time and learn to do, I can do.

Am I a reasonable candidate for Porsche ownership? Do I need to wait to save more to invest in the inital purchase?

~*~Lisa~*~
Old 04-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lisa, I'd say you're a great candidate for 944 ownership.

There is plenty you can learn and do on your own. Better yet if you are located somewhere that has a well organized group of Rennlisters to help teach you (Kansas City, DFW/Houston, a few others).

Where are you located?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd have like $1500 or so set away for repairs.
Where are you from so people can keep their eyes out for a car? (read: date)
Old 04-13-2004, 12:47 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummmmm will you marry me Lisa?

I am 27, have a great job and well educated. Only catch is you will have to move to New Zealand. There are just not many Porsche girls out there...
Old 04-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome,
Adding your location might help, prices can vary regionally quite a bit. Forget NADA, also forget most of the other books, they all deal with newer, more common cars better than older and more unusual cars. A decent car at even close to NADA $ is not very likely, figure $3500 to $7000 for a decent looking, no issues car depending on where you are. Excellence magazine puts out a price guide about once a year, it's on the low side as it's written in an area where cars go for a little less. Keeping a grand or two in reserve is always a good idea.

maintenance is dictated by condition (and a bit of luck). this is why you want records and a PPI. make sure everything is up to date (key items are belts and clutch) and you won't have to catch up.
There's not that much difference between the years, buy the best example you can afford even if it isn't an '88.

EDIT, Michelle is right, 3 guys posted in the 3-4 minutes that it took me to type this! Don't let us scare you Lisa, there are only a few women on the board, and a thousand or so guys, but we're mostly harmless.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:12 AM
mikl1976
Racer

Lisa,
What is your budget for the car?
What part of the country are you in? a lot of the prices vary depending on where you are.
Do you plan on doing any modifications to the car or just keep it stock and maintain it?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:18 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Welcome!
I recently bought a 944 turbo myself. I was actually looking into getting a prelude (the later model) and drove a good number of them when my dad suggested I take a look at 944's. So the first one I drove (my girlfriend's brother in laws) was an 84, which was one of the best handeling cars I've ever driven, which is pretty good since my Dad has a track preped M3.
Personaly, I wanted something with more power, so I ended up getting a turbo (951) and am loving it! Much more fun then a prelude in my oppinion.

I fully agree with keeping a bit of cash in reserve though. The car I got was in quite good shape since the PO was a porsche mechanic who was fixing it up for his son, who decided he didn't want the car (go figure!) Even still, I've put around $800-900 in random bits and pieces.

As for you being a good candidate, I'd say since you love the car so much and don't even have it, you're a perfect candidate for a porsche. Of course I'm only two years older then you, and everyone thinks I'm too young for one...but I like it that way
Old 04-13-2004, 01:34 AM
WithStarsInHerEyes
AutoX

I'm in Maryland. I have flyer miles and can fly almost anywhere in the US and I'll drive it home. Ok, like Washington State would be extreme, but I could get the belt changed out there and drive it home!!! I'd hate to put 2000 miles on the car, but I'd take the time off school and go get it. I'd probably die of happiness on the drive!!!

New Zealand sounds great if I can afford a porsche there The pictures I've seen are breath taking. And what more would one possibly need in common tham Porsche?

I don't scare easily and I figure anyone who loves a Porsche has to be a great person!!! (guy with porsche should = all the dates he wants shouldn't it?!)

I was hoping to spend about $4000

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I hope I can learn so much here.

How hard is it to find white interior? It was white not cream or tan!!! I saw it on ebay and nearly had a heart attack! I love it.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent WAY too much time in Maryland today!
A white interior is pretty rare, tan is much more common.
$4000 isn't likely to leave much in reserve, but it's been done. Shop carefully and enjoy the hunt!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:42 AM
mikl1976
Racer

i think it would be difficult to find white interior. i have seen more tan, but very few if any white interior.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they call that a linen interior. That might have been our own Campeck's car you saw on evilbay, if it was within the past few days.

EDIT: I guess it was, since he started a thread about your chat. Small world.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car has a very light tan (almost white) interior, the color is called linen gray, and compared to the other interior colors, it's kinda rare, but they do exist.

As far as driving across the country to pick up a car, I'd say don't bother. I think the BEST advice you can get is not to rush. Wait until you find the right car, you'll be much happier that way. There are plenty of 944s here in the east, you'd be much better off saving the money you'd spend on fuel and motels driving the car back and keeping for repairs/upgrades. Take your time, make sure to get a good PPI (pre purchse inspection) done by someone who knows these cars, I'm sure someone in maryland can reccomend a shop. A common bit of advice is to spend as much money on the car when you buy it, because you'll end up spending less money in the long run if you buy one that isn't going to need all kinds of maintenence.

Good luck, and maybe you should think aout coming to Hershey.

EDIT: oh yeah, you can click one of the links in my sig to see some pics of the interior color. They aren't interior shots, sorry, but you can get a bot of an idea what it looks like through the windows. It looks a bit darker in the pics than it does in real life I think.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:54 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Welcome, and a word of caution:

"nothing's more expensive than a cheap Porsche!"

Plenty of people can tell you horror stories of "great deals" they found on a 944, only to have to invest 2 or 3 times what they paid to get the car running when it breaks....myself included. One thing can potentially save you a lot of money and headaches (aside from Rennlist!), and that's a Pre-Purchase-Inspection at a competent Porsche mechanic that knows 944's, not just Porsches.

White interior is going to be harder to come by, and may fetch a premium because it's pretty rare. You could always hold out and hope, but don't hold your breath for one to come along.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

The thing with white is that it's more rare, and also in order to look good would have to be really well cared for, meaning the whole car's probably well cared for, which will yield a higher price.
$3k will get you a nice early 944 (83-85), I would absolutely choose an 83 for manual steering and Fuchs. That's opinion though.
I'd also try and find one with a clutch that's been replaced.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:59 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

so your 20, and love 944's. Well, that doesn't happen much around here, and it seems you have some members excited. When I bought my 944 turbo, i knew nothing more then changing oil, and vowed I'd fix what breaks. So far, the car has not seen a mechanic yet, and let me tell you, I have done some more advanced stuff... You can do it, and if you do, we'll need photos of the rare occurance. Btw, my names Eyal, I'm 20 as well.
<---- Me pulling my turbocharger a yesterday, yes, I'm not that happy, lol.
~Eyal

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new :)