Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EURO-spec 944 Turbo - S info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:50 AM
s3v3n
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EURO-spec 944 Turbo - S info?

hi all, i just spent hours searching and cant seem to come up with any information on this car model. does anybody know any specifics?
from what i understand, its a couple hundred pounds lighter (no sunroof etc?) and a touch more powerful ... ~mid 13s vs low 14s in 1/4 mile so bit swifter acceleration to 100mph.
does anyone have any pics or other info? links?

thanks guys, great board btw
s
Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

unless it's one of the special factory testbeds, the Euro 944 Turbo S's were all exactly the same as American 944 Turbo S's except for little things like sidemarkers, rear bumper, KPH vs MPH, and catalytic conveters. (thus the slightly better HP number) DME/KLR chips may be different but I don't know for sure.

There is no way a euro-spec car would be 200lbs lighter than an American car. For that you may be thinking of the "Turbo-cup" cars which are a totally different story. Many euro 944TS's did come with sunroofs too.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
s3v3n
2nd Gear

cant seem to find the site that i read that on, but this one generally says something along the same lines.

http://www.weissach.net/924-944-968_...stSummary.html

i dont _think_ they are talking about the turbo-cup cars there as there is no mention of them...

i am a bit confused about this now as it was originally my impression that the euro + na cars were almost the same (cept minor styling and a couple hp) ... perhaps they are afterall?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche switched to using single engines for all cars in '88 in the NA and IIRC in the turbo also. All turbo Ss have the same engine which is rated at 247hp. The euro bumpers saves a little weight, the 944 cats are pretty heavy so that's another few pounds and I don't think the euros had the door beams of the US cars, that's 100-150 lbs. Usually the euro cars got much less standard equipment which could save a bit more weight and no one knows how full the tanks were when the cars were weighed.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:21 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
Porsche switched to using single engines for all cars in '88 in the NA and IIRC in the turbo also. All turbo Ss have the same engine which is rated at 247hp. The euro bumpers saves a little weight, the 944 cats are pretty heavy so that's another few pounds and I don't think the euros had the door beams of the US cars, that's 100-150 lbs. Usually the euro cars got much less standard equipment which could save a bit more weight and no one knows how full the tanks were when the cars were weighed.
Along the lines of Dave's comment, A/C was not a common accessory on euro cars. That would shave another chunk of weight, if a car was so non-equiped..........
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Euro '91 951 has no airbags and no cruise control. It does have a huge sunroof, though!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:45 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
My Euro '91 951 has no airbags and no cruise control. It does have a huge sunroof, though!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

I believe Porsche went to "worldwide" engines in '88 across the 944 line. Although closed loop/cats were available in Europe as options up to this point. You could basically request the US engine. I've seen an '86 Euro 951 with factory closed loop/cat setup. It didn't cost any power, so a good chunk of people buying new 944s in Europe voluntarily opted for the emissions package.

I believe there's a tax break in Germany if your car has a cat.

Airbags didn't become standard on Euro versions until the 968. I assume it was an option available to European buyers. Although I've never seen an '87-'91 Euro 944 with airbags. You could also get the US bumpers if you wanted. There was also a factory telephone option, and all kinds of interesting radio options and interior/exterior color options.

But as of '88, the turbo and turbo S had the same engine for all markets. The slight difference in output is due to SAE vs DIN power measurement - it's just a difference on paper. The outputs are the same.

Bryan
Old 04-13-2004, 11:32 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rich Sandor
and catalytic conveters. (thus the slightly better HP number)
I disagree with that Rich. Though the cat reduction will slightly increase hp, I don't believe that Porsche took that into account. The 3 hp difference isn't actually a difference at all... 247 SAE hp ~= 250 DIN hp. It's not actually a different hp number, just a different hp system!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually as far as I know all 944 TURBO cars were worldcars. What that means is the same basic engine specs for all markets. Turbo cup cars infact had cats and this was selling point for them europe. See we can RACE with cats so having them a street car is not so bad.

Anyway Euro cars may be lighter than US spec cars. I'd guess this is mostly due to a lower option content rather than specific changes. Not sure about door bars and bumpers. On a turbo I believe the front bumper is the same. Not sure about the rear.

Unlike today's cars I belive all the suspension parts were the same between the markets. Only difference might be rear ride height.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by M758
Turbo cup cars infact had cats and this was selling point for them europe.
Actually, at the time Porsche equipped the cars with cats depending on the destination market. For instance, the 944 Turbo Cup cars built for Spain were not equipped with cats because unleaded gasoline was not readily available in the mid '80s in Spain as it is today.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For anyone that is interested, there is a Japanese Eurospec 951S for sale down at SCAN Automotive in North Van; Vancouverites, Bob is the seller, I was just down there today...beautiful mint car, 130k km, black int...the only downside: it's that champagne brown colour...not a huge seller...
Also, because of the emissions standards, I don't believe it is allowed in the States...unless of course you did some heavy mods...
I was just down there today
Old 04-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatchu talkin' about Willis? Firstly, it's a Jap market car with a Cat, and second, HANDS OFF everyone. I'm still trying to get my dad to buy it. (He's not biting.. dammit)

Quick Reply: EURO-spec 944 Turbo - S info?