Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit in rear at 35-40MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:07 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BMWM3PORSCHE944
Who was the guy who rolled his 944 down a mountainside and walked away from it?
Bill (Bob?) Underwood. His car went over a cliff.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

THats ****ty man, Wow I hope you get alot of money from the guy or his insurance company...I hate seeing pics like these...

DAmian
Old 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another testement to..

Hopw safe these cars are.

Pete, You mean this dude.

http://www.944-world.com/

This is cool.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1..._for_sale.html
Old 04-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Wow, that's sad. Hopefully by some miricale it can be fixed. It's a shame to see one of these out in the parts lot.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:50 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Scuba Steve, I really liked you in Big Daddy. You were my fav.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Heh, it was a tossup between using that name and what I usually go by on forums (The Fife, it has nothing to do with the tv show). Decided to do something different this time.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:30 PM
James86-951
Pro

The car is unquestionably a total loss. I am willing to consider purchasing back from the insurance company if a recycler wants to buy it. (I cannot keep it at home to part out. I believe the covenants allow for tar and feathering for that.) It has tires that are 5 days old before the accident. I would need to see what happens with the insurance company first.

I have been nausiated for the past 4 days. I see the orthopedic doc tomorrow to make sure the bits of my thumb are where they should be. I will ask about the other stuff later.

I have more pictures if you're interested....
Old 04-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, lets see the rest of the pics. so I can make sure the drivetrain is ok... for a turbo 5pd conversion in a 924S I'm thinking about...

Glad your'e OK, the aches and pains could be much worse.

Big Daddy.. "Scuba Steve"
Old 04-19-2004, 05:52 PM
James86-951
Pro

The transmission may not be in good shape. The rear wheels were locked when the car was dragged up the ramp on the flat bed. It was disgraceful.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2004, 07:58 PM
3 Turbos

OT,

Someone called me Scuba Steve at some bar - was that some kind of a commerical.

We all had a good time. I didn't get it? What the heck was Big Daddy?

James86-951, sorry for the 944T loss - but you have your health - and that is definetly the most important thing.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:29 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

hmmm so much to say...

James, my condolensces... those pictures took the caffeine induced smile right off my face. That's a sad sight; I don't know how I'd feel if this happened to me! I honestly think I would sit down and cry

Anywho... I might be young, but unfortunately for me (and fortunately for you) I've been in 4 situations not too unlike yours. The pain might be relatively minor right now, especially with the Lortab (hey, I'm on it too!! re:back injury last week), but it will complicate with time. I'm not sure if you have much experience with accidents resulting in any injuries or not (I don't want to sound condesending) but take my word for it, HIRE A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY! The standard procedure where I'm from after an accident is a medical unit arrives and asks you if you would like to go to the ER for a checkup. Did you happen to go with them and accept it? If you refused, the legal system can screw you over as far as getting money for this to pay for any future medical bills, such as physical therapy (which you should look into in the next few days) and doctors visits. If you did in fact refuse, you need to hire a lawyer all the more so. I really can't stress that enough! The money that will come about for pain/suffering from a case like this will not only pay for the laywer's fees, but compensate for the probably screwjob you're going to get for the car's value.

Someone mentioned getting it appraised by Porsche... I like that idea! I'm not sure how you'd arrange it, but whoever thought of that deserves a beer!

Back to the tragedy, however... seeing the red paint from the car you hit on the hood, leaving the bumper untouched gives me a frightening picture of the car's trajectory The downward rear crumpling and intact hatch show it even more!! I didn't know these cars were this safe! WHEW

Are you allowed to snag some things from the car that you might want, or will the junkyard not permit that? Vultures are coming, but rightfully so. The bumper, hatch, wheels and interior items seem to be in fine shape (though I wouldn't touch the seat mounts, obviously). If the junkyard doesn't mind... why not take some of her parts?

I will be traveling that same road a week from Sunday on my way home. Luckily the person traveling directly behind me will be my dad in his Lumina... but these stories of Atlanta highway destruction are making me a litle uneasy!! I'd rather not make some red paint on my dad's hood, thank ya

James.. rest well, take good care of yourself, and call a trusted lawyer when you feel well enough (and not so high on Lortab). Best of luck finding a replacement p-car (there are some beautiful 951's popping up on here recently, as well as some 928's!!). Your girl will be sadly missed, but always remembered. RIP
Old 04-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

It was a movie with Adam Sandler.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 PM
James86-951
Pro

I drove an S4 about 30 minutes ago. 2.7L Biturbo.......mmmmm......boost. I was chasing a guy with an S2000 through a winding street. Ummmmm, turbo.

I don't know what to expect next. I get the police report tomorrow. I will call the guy's ins agent at that point. I am concerned, however, I am familiar with the process and my wife's family is hip deep in lawyers. I will make my point clear with the guy's adjuster if it gets bad.

I did refuse transport, but I made it clear that I was injured, but not an emergency. I went directly to the Hospital after the accident scene was cleared. I will let you guys know.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:58 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Just want to point something out the rear wheels were probably locked bacause of the rear end being on the tires happened to me but it was only rubbing a bit as your hit looks a lot worst then mine so I guess that's what could have happened. Sorry if it's not the time for that but hopefully the good parts will get around to people it's a shame that car is totaled don't take a penny less then what you think you should get. Seek a lawyer as you said your wife's family is hip deep in them. I think you are in a pretty good place right now with all this let us know how it works out and if you need any help. Parting it out if you want I know someone can help you out I could even help you out with that if no one closer will. Good luck and it's great that you didn't end up in much worst with the injuries but make sure you get checked out really good as it will get you later on and then you can't do anything about it.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:59 AM
Gordon O
Intermediate

Originally posted by James86-951
Here's the front...
Sorry about the car--glad you are ok.
I wrecked a 944 a few years ago and I felt more pain for the car than for myself.

Do you have sun visor clips you'd like to sell?

Quick Reply: Hit in rear at 35-40MPH!