Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit in rear at 35-40MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 02:28 AM
85944na
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last i checked which was like 2 years ago, sun visor clips were like 7$ from the dealer.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:54 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

James, You have pm
Old 04-20-2004, 10:23 AM
James86-951
Pro

Back at 'ya, Bader$.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:50 PM
James86-951
Pro

Well guys, I was finally able to reach someone at the insurance company. I gave my recorded statement and description of injuries. Now begins the fun appraisal process. I have sent a request to PCA for an appraisal. (membership DOES have it's privleges!!)

If you guys have copies of appraisals for similar cars: Can you contact me for a copy? I need to get some ammo together.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

James, I gave mine to TedA (member here) with the car, but last year when I got the appraisal for my 86 Kalahari, it listed high at $15k, low at $6k and average of $11k. You might want to try contacting Ted to see if he'll fax you a copy of mine.

Good luck
Old 04-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to have nightmares about those pics. Aside from the wheels, your car is very similar to mine. Best wishes for your recovery - both injuries, and monetary from the ins. co. - and happy car hunting!
Old 04-30-2004, 10:23 AM
James86-951
Pro

The saga continues....
The appraiser said the car was a total loss. He said he had never come accross one of these cars in 25 years of appraising accidents. He asked what I thought the value was, off the record of course. I told him $15,000. He said he would send on the information and the adjuster would call Mon or Tues. Well,I finally tracked him down yesterday. He said the insured has told him a mystery car hit him and caused him to hit me. Now there is a point of law to look at. He said he would have the appraiser look again at the car to see if there was damage to the rear of the vehicle.

Now comes the time for a lawyer. The adjuster was pretty striaght forward up to now. If it comes back that there is a mystery car, I will have to contact my Insurance company. Why wasn't it mentioned at the scene of the accident? The guy even told me he was looking in his rearview mirror. (I made sure to say that to the adj during the recorded statement.)

Well, I will let you guys know. I believe it is going to be time to sue.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

James:
That sucks about your car. I can relate,having lost my 83 944 to a jack a$$ who rear ended me, here's what I learned:

In my case, the other driver's insurance adjuster started dicking around with me (low ball estimate) I ended the conversation with "you'll be have to speak with my attorney from now on, and my insurance co. I had full coverage on the car so I called my insurance co and they said they would handle it.

Bottom line, my insurance co gave me a very fair payout on the car and then recovered the money from the other driver's insurance. I had to go to physical therapy (because of the low seating position in 944s I had a lower back injury). I was referred to a good attorney that got me a decent settlement to recover the lost vacation time I used to go to therapy, plus some additional compensation.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no such thing as "off the record" that I'm aware of. You should speak to a lawyer before you go any further imo.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:07 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

If it's not in the Police report then it didn't happen. No other car sorry dude time to pay up. What people and insurance companies try to do these days sucks. I don't know what GA state laws are but if you rear end a person here in FL then you get a ticket. Did he happen to get a ticket and is that on the police report?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Concerning your neck injury - take it very, very seriously! I just had what I thought was a normal slip and fall last summer - nothing normal about it!

I was wearing platform shoes, slipped on oil on concrete, and landed on my right shoulder, head, and my left hip.

Vicodin masked many of the symptoms.

I am in therapy, a lawsuit. Xrays show I have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I have been suffering horribly since then, and am wondering if I get to keep my 944.

My neck was straightened out, you see. I have had one blinding headache while driving in February. I was able to pull over, put the car in neutral, feet on brake before going out. My boyfriend shook me out of it.

On top of the neck, injuries being treated still as follows: dislocated right shoulder (dislocates daily); fatty tumor on right shoulder, from it being dislocated so long (will have to be cut or lipoed out); Stage 1 Scoliosis of the upper and lower back (middle is fine); sacrailiac dislocated on both sides; left hip dislocated (has to be put back in weekly); knees and ankles hurt every morning.

Until I moved my seat up to an uncomfy position for my legs, I was throwing my right shoulder out in 3rd and 5th every time.

It's much less now.

But please, seek physical therapy NOW!!!

My lawsuit is not going to be easy, I never wanted to sue a "friend." But if they were a friend, they would not have told me I had to pay for the ambulance, ergo, I didn't get one; next day I was taken to the hospital in my own car, screaming in agony, as both ankles swelled up; oh, right one was dislocated, and I had to put it back.

Good luck, sorry about your baby. I have never seen a car hit like that - except when the car BEHIND DID NOT put on ANY brakes!

Can't get pushed into a car like that, what an idiot. You have him lock, stock, and barrel.

I just hope he has to pay for the car he pushed you under! Out here, if you rearend someone, you are responsible, because it means you are "tailgating."

- Julie
Old 04-30-2004, 12:11 PM
James86-951
Pro

He was ticketed. I am waiting for the adjuster to call this AM. I will call after lunch if he has not called me.

Nothing is ever off the record. That's why I told him what I wanted for it.

I am going to call my doctor again this morning. I have been taking an anti-nausia medicine whenever needed. I am documenting alot of this to use if and when it comes to lawsuit time.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:44 PM
James86-951
Pro

Well,
I talked to the adjuster who said the car did have damage to the rear of the other guy's car. He said he had his own opinion since there was no mention of the damage at the scene of the accident. He said he would get back to me. I asked him if I need to go ahead and get counsel at this time. He said he would have an answer back by 3:30. The pisser is that this is the weekend. I will not be able to get the officially get the ball rolling until Monday if he decides against paying the claim.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

i dont think it matters what hit the other guy. are they going to tell you to collect from the mystery car? how do you know the guy wasnt rear ended the day before and is saying it happened when he hit you.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait - I've heard this one before
An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my vehicle, and vanished.
Sounds to me if there was no damage noted to his car at the scene, and now it appears to have rear damage, he's trying to pull something. The other thing to consider is the chain of events: If he runs into you, then after that another car hits his, he is still at fault for hitting you first. On the other hand, when he hit you, since you were stopped and his car pushed your car into the car in front of you, you weren't at fault for hitting the guy in front of you.

Accidents suck, but lawsuits suck more - no matter which side you are on.
I hope you can get this resolved without too much pain. (Physical or mental)

Quick Reply: Hit in rear at 35-40MPH!