Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit in rear at 35-40MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 05:12 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm yea I heard that one aswell. It's not on the police report buddy so go screw yourself. He also got a ticket which makes him at fault because why would a cop give him a ticket if he didn't cause the whole thing. Also did they ask you if you felt one hit in the rear or two? Both parties are trying to get the best of you to bad it's so plain like black and white.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:44 PM
James86-951
Pro

I will be retaining counsel effective tommorow. I've got bills to pay, a hand without a usable thumb, a dead car, and I have run out of patience.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:04 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Good luck and best wishes. Post if you need some help maybe someone can be useful to you.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally posted by seb928s
Hmm yea I heard that one aswell. It's not on the police report buddy so go screw yourself. He also got a ticket which makes him at fault because why would a cop give him a ticket if he didn't cause the whole thing. Also did they ask you if you felt one hit in the rear or two? Both parties are trying to get the best of you to bad it's so plain like black and white.
Seb, you mean well, but. stop practicing law. getting a ticket doesnt mean anything. remember this is america. innocent until proven guilty. the fact that it is not in the report doesnt mean much either. the police officer took a report of what he saw. he may not have noticed another car. It is not black and white. what if a third car really did exist. who are we to say it did or didnt.

either way it should not matter to James.

he was hit in the rear by another vehicle. he has a lawsuit against the car the hit him. the car that hit him can implead or interplead (i forgot which one, but knew it when I had to take the bar) the phantom car.

James, i think you have two separate actions. one for your physical damage. dont expect to settle that one anytime soon. that should take a good three years.

the second claim is for the damage to your vehicle. that should settle shortly. prepare an appraisal, and get a check for that amount. BUT, before you cash any check, or sign any release, show it to your lawyer. make sure you are not signing away any rights to your physical injury claim.

good luck, keep us posted on the settlement for the vehicle. dont publish your personal injury case on the internet unless you are positive it can not come back and bite you in the butt later.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:23 PM
James86-951
Pro

Well guys, here's the news.........
I have retained an attorney. The adjuster for the guy stated he will not accept liability at this point pending further investigation. I advised him I would advise my insurance company and my attorney.

I have to settle the Physical Damage with my insurance company. I have appraisals from my leinholder on the Porsche. My medical bills are paid through my ins co and they will go after his Ins Co for their payments.

Now comes the fun part. I have to sue his ins co and/or the "gentleman" himself to get the rest of my bills paid. (Anything not otherwise covered)

I am extremely angry. The adjuster from his company was very adversarial. It will be interesting to see what happens. His vehicle was NOT impounded, therefore any evidence pulled after the "Mystery Car" story was revealed cannot be used. The adj stated the appraiser did not get pictures of the rear of the car. BULLSH*T!! Any appraiser worth his weight in sh*t knows to photograph the WHOLE car!!!

GRRRRRRRR.....................
Old 05-04-2004, 11:51 AM
gleamingred944
Instructor

That's a problem with our cars all right - we can stop faster than anything else on the road. I used to concentrate on staying 2 seconds behind the car in front - with my 944, I watch behind instead.

The first time I tested my brakes for the MOT, I broke their recording machine! Finally, at a track with a tester who knew Porsches, he told me that my brakes soaked up an average of 2000 (two thousand) horsepower from 100 km/hr. And it's a plain jane '86 na.

Quick Reply: Hit in rear at 35-40MPH!