Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944Fest 2022 September 2-4, 2022

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 10:59 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Guys, I've got an update for ya'll. I wish I could say I'm glad for this, but unfortunately I can't. The 944Fest started as an event for us to get out of the shadows of our rear engine brothers and I feel that was what made it special.
Recent financial/political decisions forced our hosts (NOT ME) to expand the event into a new concept called the "9Fest" in which all Porsche's (or perhaps just the ones that start with "9") are invited.
Yes, they still plan to have a special 944 parking area and run groups, and Tshirts so fear not... however it is my opinion, possibly wrong, possibly all BS, but it is my opinion that the 944Fest as I started it is dead.
I'm sure some will say this is a huge improvement, to them I say go to the other 100's of shows that worship the air cooled and misplaced engine world. Well, it's been 21 years since my 'baby' was born I suppose it's time to let her go.
Travis/Rennbay, sorry bud it's how I feel. If any of you Ducks out in the Desert want to host something similar, I encourage you to go for it. It's a lot of work and $$$ but can be very rewarding.

From the NOR PCA President-
Good morning fellow members. Hope everyone enjoyed this weekend - I certainly did.

We have received the information on the upcoming 9 Fest weekend. This is a weekend built with 4 organizations; Nelsons Ledges, Northern Ohio Region PCA (NORPCA), Eastern Buckeye Region PCA (EBRPCA), and the 9 Fest group. So if you are interested in combining fun with your car, this is the weekend for you!

Ted Stephens

President - NORPCA

216-276-****

HPDE Events Store About

9Fest 2022

September 3 - 4 @ Nelson Ledges
This September join us for an ultra-casual weekend of camping, food and Porsches. Pack a bag and dust off the old tent, we're taking over Nelson Ledges!

HPDE, Poker Rally, Car Show, BBQ, Camping, Bonfire & Beer Swap!
This is a Porsche Packed event that you will not want to miss!

Make a weekend of it, pitch a tent and camp under the stars. Bring the whole family (pets are allowed too). Be prepared for a fun weekend with all of your Porsche friends!

Detailed events and schedule

First Time HPDE Participants, this is the event for you. We have a special run group and classroom sessions just for first timers! If you've ever wanted to drive your Porsche on the track, this is the time to jump in!

Choose your registration type below. Only pick one
(HPDE includes everything from the attendee registration)

Instructors, Sign up HERE

HPDE Registration

2 Day HPDE (Sat 9/3 - Sun 9/4)
Weekend activities included
Event T shirt included
Early Reg Discount thru 6/1
$325

Attendee Registration

Includes Poker Rally, Camping, BBQ, Car Show, Bonfire & Beer Swap.
Event T shirt included
Early Reg Discount thru 6/1
$26
Do you have a 944 or want to run on Friday with the 944Fest guys too? Sign up for this event at 944Fest for a 944 tailored experience and track time on Fri, Sat & Sun!

Extra T-Shirts and Swag are available in the 9Fest store!
Have it shipped to you or pick up at the event.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:02 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

944Fest culture has always been inclusive. We have guys that started in a 944 and who have moved on to other cars but still drive halfway across the country each year to join us. They are not turned away but are welcomed. These are our friends regardless of what they drive.

The same holds true here. The "9Fest" guys have been there with us each year. We have the 944Fest Friday DE sessions and the PCA Region has the track on Sat/Sun. These are the same guys that instruct our novice group, have a beer by the bonfire and share in our Saturday dinner. They bring Ferraris, Miatas and yes, even 911s.

Dan is right though, a series of unfortunate circumstances arose this year that put the 944Fest in jeopardy. Not getting into details, the bottom line was we had to either take over a level of responsibility for the entire weekend or find another venue that doesn't incorporate a track day.

As the current custodian of 944Fest, I did what was best for 944Fest. And, in true 944Fest style, if we're pitching in on this thing it's only right that it gets a cool name too. So, the Sat/Sun is 9Fest and it's the same people we have shared the weekend with for the past 15 years. I personally think it's pretty cool.

Beyond that, this is an opportunity for you to invite your neighbor with the 928 or the Boxster driving coworker that has listened to your 944Fest exploits for years now and wishes there was a cool event like that where they'd be welcomed.

Registration is open for 944Fest as well as 9Fest for your Box11ayman friends (if you want to show them a 944Fest good time).

We will have the Turbo Cup reunion again this year, showcasing factory 944 Turbo (and NA) Cup cars. DE event, Poker run, Car show, Cookout etc... as usual. We have some pretty cool shirts this year too.

Hope to see you out there!
Old 04-25-2022, 04:31 PM
goblues38
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Facts are facts.....the number of road worthy 944's is not that high. At some point, an event like this has to have a break even point for the organizer to not go into huge debt just to keep a car group alive. It is what it is. Deep down, we all know there is a special place for pre 1995-ish era P cars. Before profit, computers, and the CAYANNE change Porsche culture forever.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:54 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Blues, have you ever been to a grassroots car event, in a guys back yard, or on his farm, with no Club or Board of trustees deciding what happens?
How about a totally FREE event that simply accepted donations and offered food, beer and fun? Pass the hat, pay it forward sort of thing?
Total strangers (with a crazy thing in common) under a car helping fix other strangers? (and their cars?) No "promoter" just a host family? BYOB?
Forgive me as I recognize the passing of an era that you may not know much about.

Travis and I spoke, obviously he doesn't want me casting any shade on the new gig which admittedly is all pretty cool. That is not my intent.
I'm just missing the good ole days.
Sometimes bigger IS better. Sometimes it is not.
tho, sometimes bigger is necessary for survival.

The following users liked this post:
Autobreza (04-26-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 06:04 PM
goblues38
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Blues, have you ever been to a grassroots car event, in a guys back yard, or on his farm, with no Club or Board of trustees deciding what happens?
How about a totally FREE event that simply accepted donations and offered food, beer and fun? Pass the hat, pay it forward sort of thing?
Total strangers (with a crazy thing in common) under a car helping fix other strangers? (and their cars?) No "promoter" just a host family? BYOB?
Forgive me as I recognize the passing of an era that you may not know much about.

Travis and I spoke, obviously he doesn't want me casting any shade on the new gig which admittedly is all pretty cool. That is not my intent.
I'm just missing the good ole days.
Sometimes bigger IS better. Sometimes it is not.
tho, sometimes bigger is necessary for survival.
I think you miss-interpreted my post.

I am totally understanding all the work put in to get it to this point. Was trying to caution people from throwing shade for a change that needed to happen to keep things alive.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:51 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by goblues38
I think you miss-interpreted my post.

I am totally understanding all the work put in to get it to this point. Was trying to caution people from throwing shade for a change that needed to happen to keep things alive.
Nope, I read it and get it loud and clear. My point that you missed is the 944Fest started in 2001 as an alternative to the "All Porsche "show. That's no longer part of the deal.

Trav is right we always were inclusive in a way. Sammy and Dan J are perfect examples with their BMWs and Stangs. Scott came in a 911 once, and even brought it to the 944Fest as well.
These brothers earned their admission via ownership, and some other 911 guys came sniffing around because all the loud music and hot chicks. Sure, we included them... but invite them?
I'll confess here and now. I don't enjoy the company of the typical 911 owner. The 944Fest to me was a celebration of something we had that those A holes did not. The bond of the downtrodden.
"Waterboys" it was the perfect term for us and the lack of respect that crowd gave us, and we wore it with honor.

Honestly, I'm just an old fart getting grumpier by the day. Sorry about my pathetic whining about the good old days.

Travis has steered the ship away from the rocks and headed for the open road...
Old 04-25-2022, 10:54 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Actually I agree with Dan. Having been a custodian of the 944 model for just about 10 years, I've witnessed my wife and I be shunned from a Porsche event a few years back (at our local P-Dealership no less) for not owning a 911/Cayman, etc. While I am a PCA member, I find that the Porsche culture typically frowns upon our lovely cars; even the well-written club publication rarely highlights the 924/944.

I was really planning to attend this years 944Fest (for the 1st time), as part of a longer journey through Canada to the Southern Arctic Ocean (taking the Beastie). However; this news brings me to possible reconsider driving out to Ohio. Just my thoughts on this subject...

Patrick
Old 04-25-2022, 11:17 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by pfarah7
Actually I agree with Dan. Having been a custodian of the 944 model for just about 10 years, I've witnessed my wife and I be shunned from a Porsche event a few years back (at our local P-Dealership no less) for not owning a 911/Cayman, etc. While I am a PCA member, I find that the Porsche culture typically frowns upon our lovely cars; even the well-written club publication rarely highlights the 924/944.

I was really planning to attend this years 944Fest (for the 1st time), as part of a longer journey through Canada to the Southern Arctic Ocean (taking the Beastie). However; this news brings me to possible reconsider driving out to Ohio. Just my thoughts on this subject...

Patrick
Oh shucks rats No No NO please don't miss this event because of me.
You had me until you got to the reconsider part. Patrick, your admission to this event is on me. Trav, send me the bill.
This will STILL be the best 944 experience you will ever have. I promise.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:25 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan, While I've aged and no longer have a 951, I've enjoyed attending the fest just to watch and enjoy it. The first "fest" I attended was in Mansfield, 2002. Lawn mower races, a 911 with a broken transmission, a spirited drive to the airport. JUST a wonderful day. So sorry that your baby has died.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:24 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

The idea of a lingering rivalry, elitist 911 guys vs downtrodden waterboys, is fiction. At 944Fest no one cares. We all like cool cars and no one has a bigger voice than the next guy, no matter what.

Perfect example. Last year, the guy with the highest valued car is sitting around in flip flops by the bonfire drinking beer and shooting the **** with us. Not many out there know that he also owns the track but if they did, it still wouldn't be a big deal. It's 944Fest and in that moment we're all just a bunch of guys that love cars.

I can't get my head around shunning a whole group of car people that want to join us, the same group that HAS joined us for the past 15 years, because someone who drove the same model car once made us feel inferior. Honestly, I don't think I'd attend an event like that no matter how "grassroots" they said it was.

If the dead baby referred to here is the resentment of all other cars and people then good riddance. That's not what the 944Fest has ever been about, at least in my 15 years of stewardship.

I have total respect for Dan for starting this thing in his backyard. When I was asked to take it over many years ago I humbly accepted the responsibility and continue on to this day.

What Dan is upset with is personal in nature and involves specific people that he doesn't want us being chummy with. My leadership is for the Event itself and will never be about leveraging the group to act on personal grudges, mine or anyone else's.

As Dan said, there are hundreds of other events that are exclusive. We've all been to them and it's no fun. 944Fest is inclusive. It always has been and that's part of what makes it great. It means we're "not them" and that's what draws over 100 944 variants to attend each year.

I hope to see you out there too.

~Travis
Old 04-26-2022, 12:20 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Trav, do you get the irony in calling your 9Fest an all inclusive event when the invite states "Porsche Packed event" and "Be prepared for a fun weekend with all of your Porsche friends" and "drive your Porsche on the track" ?

Trav said "When I was asked to take it over many years ago I humbly accepted the responsibility and continue on to this day."

That is not quite how I remember it. Do me a favor and share with the gang some light on WHY I quit hosting, Trav. Remember the ski lodge, the vandalism, the police?

You might want to warn the GT3 crowd about the soot from the bonfire and pyrotechnic fallout, you might just rekindle the elitist vs waterboy fight all by yourself.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:06 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Dan, I respect you as a person and a long-time friend. You are forever welcome at the 944Fest and as always, your track sessions are on the house. It's the one thing we've always done to show appreciation to you, the founding member. With that being said, I still disagree with your interpretation of the 944Fest being just another separatist car enthusiast group. One that acts with disdain and looks down on any outsiders. This script simply does not represent the 944Fest based on my experience of our group. I feel like almost anyone who has ever been in attendance would agree.

I understand your position and have the utmost respect for everything you have contributed to this event from its humble beginnings. The issue is that none of what's being said here even comes close to representing the spirit of the fest and it's attendees. As the current coordinator, it's my responsibility to speak up here and attempt to set things straight. You would have done the same.

Yes, when you had the ski lodge things got way out of hand. The Fest was not the family-friendly event it is today where people travel across the country with kids and pets in tow.

As for shedding light on the handoff, It was a couple of years later that you came to me on the heels of an FAA drug use incident causing the loss of your job and home. I was already contributing with registration and logistics at the time and I agreed to take on the whole thing, with the alternative being that the event would come to an end.

So here we are. We're making trophies and T shirts for the same PCA guys that have been supporting us for 15 years now and you have some huge problem with it. I am truly sorry you have such a beef with them and I did my best to address this privately with you.

For anyone reading this that hasn't been to a 944Fest, the drama you see here is a rare exception and I apologize for having to take part in it on this public forum.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:39 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver

For anyone reading this that hasn't been to a 944Fest, the drama you see here is a rare exception and I apologize for having to take part in it on this public forum.
I agree with this. You probably could have let it go after post #24, but no..

Quick Reply: 944Fest 2022 September 2-4, 2022