Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 01:24 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I have seen check valves stuck at the pump, bad pump, bad DME, shorted wires in the injector harness, corrosion in the connector of the DME, stuck injectors, and more even if it runs on starting fluid. The noid light will simply narrow down or eliminate certain possibilities. If it pulses, it eliminates the DME, shorted harness, and anything electronic but not electrical.
Acantor. Legoland951 states it correctly that the noid light narrows down the possibilities, anything electronic but not electrical. The noid light is going to verify some of the tests you already ran and verify that the DME is switching the 10..6v pin on the fuel injector connector to ground when cranking the engine, thus making the circuit close across the +12v pin and the other floating pin in the connector. U believe I purchased my noid light from Amazon
Old 04-26-2022, 01:32 PM
Acantor
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok I will get that ordered today. Should be able to use it mid to end of week
Old 04-26-2022, 02:07 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Acantor
Ok I will get that ordered today. Should be able to use it mid to end of week

they are nothing special… i just use a 12v license plate bulb i soldered wires and connector to..any 12v bulb will work
Old 04-26-2022, 02:14 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
they are nothing special… i just use a 12v license plate bulb i soldered wires and connector to..any 12v bulb will work
Never tried that myself though it sounds like a good idea. A "Bosch" patterned noid light is fairly cheap though from what I remembered. But then again I bought these things back when the fuel pressure regulators were around $50 new...
Old 04-26-2022, 07:05 PM
Acantor
Pro

A little update. I did another smoke test, and there was very very small amounts of smoke. It was a considerable improvement from the last time I tested. The smoke was not constant, it was in short intervals and would disappear for 30sec before reappearing again. I feel like I have ruled out a vacuum leak as part of the problem.

I have ordered the noid light and It will be here tomorrow, so I will update you then

Thanks for all your help
Austin
The following users liked this post:
T&T Racing (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:56 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

A little update. I did another smoke test, and there was very very small amounts of smoke. It was a considerable improvement from the last time I tested. The smoke was not constant, it was in short intervals and would disappear for 30sec before reappearing again. I feel like I have ruled out a vacuum leak as part of the problem.

I have ordered the noid light and It will be here tomorrow, so I will update you then

Thanks for all your help
Austin
I do not understand. What is the smoke test? It disappeared while the car was running (for 30 seconds while you sprayed starting fluid to keep the car running continuously for more than 30 seconds?

I think the things that are ruled out is timing, compression, and spark. It is a fuel problem and still possibly a vacuum problem. The starting fluid has the "correct mixture" to replace vaporized fuel that should have been injected into the cylinder under certain timing and duration and pressure.

Now we are eliminating the electronics of the fuel injection as the problem.

After that,check the fuel is getting to the fuel rail and under the proper pressure. This will eliminate the electrical portion and some of the mechanical (check valve) as the problem.

If the problem persists, then your injectors may mechanically be stuck or fuel pressure regulator or damper maybe be broken.

Once the car is sorted enough to run on it's own, then it is time to hunt down potential vacuum problems if it doesn't run correctly.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:34 PM
Acantor
Pro

I do not understand. What is the smoke test? It disappeared while the car was running (for 30 seconds while you sprayed starting fluid to keep the car running continuously for more than 30 seconds?

I think the things that are ruled out is timing, compression, and spark. It is a fuel problem and still possibly a vacuum problem. The starting fluid has the "correct mixture" to replace vaporized fuel that should have been injected into the cylinder under certain timing and duration and pressure.

Now we are eliminating the electronics of the fuel injection as the problem.

After that,check the fuel is getting to the fuel rail and under the proper pressure. This will eliminate the electrical portion and some of the mechanical (check valve) as the problem.

If the problem persists, then your injectors may mechanically be stuck or fuel pressure regulator or damper maybe be broken.

Once the car is sorted enough to run on it's own, then it is time to hunt down potential vacuum problems if it doesn't run correctly.
I have a smoke machine that I used to check for vacuum leaks (put it in a vacuum line and it makes smoke so you can see where the leak is). As for pressure in the rail, it is steady at 36psi(I have a gage from lindsey racing) and I replaced the regulator and damper.

This thread is pretty long and we discussed the regulator and stuff a while back that's probably why you didn't see it.

Last edited by Acantor; 04-26-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:47 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

My first post in this thread I stated I will not read all of the posts above as I have my own routine for diagnosing no start conditions.

Sounds like you will not have injector pulse or your injectors are stuck.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:25 AM
Acantor
Pro

My first post in this thread I stated I will not read all of the posts above as I have my own routine for diagnosing no start conditions.

gotcha, we will hopefully know tomorrow when I get the noid light👌
Old 04-27-2022, 08:23 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Acantor posted that the fuel injectors were cleaned and tested, only second cause is to be tested
Old 04-27-2022, 11:44 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Acantor posted that the fuel injectors were cleaned and tested, only second cause is to be tested
If this is the case, check for shorts in the injector wiring harness and/or look for a loaner DME to swap out.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:39 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

If this is the case, check for shorts in the injector wiring harness and/or look for a loaner DME to swap out.
Can run the fuel injector system test by removing the fuel rail and inserting each injector into a separate container of equal volume. Crank the engine for several seconds. Observe the volume of fuel in each container. The rest of the test is posted.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:40 PM
Acantor
Pro

Ok i just checked injector pulse with the noid light, and I do in fact have pulse. Does that throw it up to an injector issue, because if so I will get in contact with Whitchunter and let them know. The injectors were fine before I sent them there.

If you want me to, I can do the container injector test that T&T suggested If you nee me to.

Last edited by Acantor; 04-27-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:17 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 143 Posts

I would still do the container test.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:19 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Ok i just checked injector pulse with the noid light, and I do in fact have pulse. Does that throw it up to an injector issue, because if so I will get in contact with Whitchunter and let them know. The injectors were fine before I sent them there.

If you want me to, I can do the container injector test that T&T suggested If you nee me to.
Do you have pulse in all 4 injectors? That sounds very odd. Normally all 4 injectors do not fail. Something doesn't sound right here.

Yes you will need to physically verify these injectors are indeed not opening even with injector pulse and proper fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: No Start Problem