Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 appraisals - I need copies (TedA?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 03:13 PM
James86-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 appraisals - I need copies (TedA?)

See my previous post "Hit in Rear at 35-40mph." I am in the appraisal process now. I need copies for ammo.

TedA,
You purchased Brian McCoy's car and I would love to get a copy of the appraisal. I would really appreciate it!
Old 04-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

you need to prepare your own appraisal. do a search under my name the first two weeks of september 03.

i asked a bunch of questions. use those questions as a guideline and get answers from people that purchased a 951 in the last few months. check out panorama's classified, call some sellers for info.

remember, the insurance company has to use the asking price when they come up with a value. they cant dismiss it. if they do, tell them to buy the car for less if they are so sure.

take my questions, and prepare a spreadsheet. if you send me an email i will send you my spreadsheet appraisal for you to fill the blanks in.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:37 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Do what Tom R said. Ive done it too and its a good tactic.

If theres a beef between what you think the ca ris worth and what the insurance company does, tell them you forfeit a payoff and take a similar car in like condition in exchange.

The insurance company is required to insure the car enough to provide you with a replacement vehicle of the same make, model, condition, year, vintage, options, etc. Apparently they are telling you they exist for a lot less than you think they do. So call their bluff. Tell them fine, just find me the car and I'll take the car. I fought over a payoff with Progressive (how they stay in business is beyond comprehension) and I finally had enough of their idiotic lowball insult-my-intelligence conversations so I laid that one on them and they shut up pretty quick and gave me my money.

In fact, I waseven going to force them into arbitration over a $150 difference in the payoff amount I was so disgusted with them. I originally wanted $6300 for my GS-R, and they started at $5500. They got to $6150 and I said "you dont understand me, $6300 or its going to be a long process that will cost you a lot more in time and effort." They conceeed defeat and got every last phucking penny from those sheisters.

Just play hardball and dont let them see you getting upset. Just let them know you are not an idiot and that if they want to play that way, you can play that way too. Its all about intimidation and having the "alpha dog" mentality. Insurance companies are so used to feeling like they can boss you around, when you tell them delicately to shut their piehole and listen to how its going to be, they pee down their leg.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ud,
you dont fight hard enough. i got geico from under 9 to 14. I wanted 16 but had too much real life drama going on at the time to keep fighting with the robots on the other end of the phone.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:16 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

tom-

depends if the car was worth 14. if it was then it was fair. i wasnt out to screw progressive for more than the car was worth, just to ensure i received a fair payoff based on market value. mission accomplished as $6300 was as strong a payoff as I could have hoped to sell it for (I had already ordered my WRX and was about to advertise it at the same price), though not without 6 weeks of fighting for it.

my ace in the hole was I took about 100 photos of the car after i completely detailed and waxed it just a week before it got totaled. there was no way for them to talk their way out of its nearly mint condition. i do the same with all my cars about once a year. just got lucky on timing on that pooch though!
Old 04-24-2004, 10:00 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Yea I'm going to make this short. Last year April 11th my girlfriends friend for 13 years backs up her fathers Ford F150 onto my 951. Well since they were friends I figure I wouldn't have any trouble. Well turns out first they said it was my fault for parking behind them in the driveway and not getting out of the drive way fast enough lol, then it was why didn't I honk well because I just got in the car and didn't even have the keys in. Then the old fat man said "I'm not paying anything for the damages, so sue me." Then I took his advice took up a lawyer. They filed a claim then but lied to the insurance company saying my car was damaged before and has bondo all over it and the reason is it was ready to go in to paint had everything ready to go in for the paint job the week after this happened (still haven't painted it yet ) well the insurance adjuster came out checked the car said there isn't and bondo bits falling off hmm maybe because there isn't any on the car lol. Then about a week later the wrote me a check for 497$ the estimate I recieved from a body shop was 2808$ well I told my lawyer that this isn't going to cut it and that I will go to court if I don't receive more. Well few months go by still nothing then we file for small claims court they then send a letter to my lawyer saying 1605$ is more then enough for the repairs I tell my lawyer that I'm not taking it and that we will have to go to court. Well then about another month later this is now Jan of 2004 well cause I'm suing the owner of the truck and it's getting ready to set the time for the court date they make me an offer of 2556$ I said ok great because that was minus the paint which the car doesn't have. Just keep pressing what your car is worth and if they don't come up with that number just start taking them to court which will cost them so much more on a little claim which they will then decide to pay out. Also what someone else said if they don't want to pay out the amount the car is worth tell them that you will find a car in that nice of a shape with the records and all and they can have a talk with the owner to bring the price down or pay what they are asking for. You will be fine just that it will take sometime to get this done or you may get lucky and have the insurance company work like Rennbay nice,great deals, and fast.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:59 PM
James86-951
Pro

I received a certified letter from the wrecker/impound yard advising that the car will be sold at auction for the impound fees if it is not picked up within 30 days. I called the yard upon receipt. He said it was a letter required by law. (I finally got in touch with the adjuster yesterday and gave my recorded statement.) He is sending out the docs for bodily injury claim.

We went over policy limits, etc. as I believe is aware of the fact that this will be an expensive claim for his insured. I believe I will be covered, but if there are other claims against the driver; I may have to subrogate the claim. That is where it get sticky. I have to make a claim with my insurance company under the UM/UIM coverage. (Under Insured Motorist) I will have to fight my own company for coverage. I have been with them for over 20 years, so they will be a bit more accomodating.

I cannot get a current condition appraisal for a dead car. I can only compile a gruop of appraisals for comparable cars. This is where the PCA comes in. I have filed the request and hope to hear something soon.

I will update soon, I hope......
Old 04-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by James86-951
I cannot get a current condition appraisal for a dead car. I can only compile a gruop of appraisals for comparable cars. This is where the PCA comes in. I have filed the request and hope to hear something soon.

I will update soon, I hope......
Stop being so stubborn, and read what i write very carefully. You want to prepare an appraisal of your "dead" car. You want to prepare an appraisal of your dead car the moment before impact.

you want to be reimbursed for your dead car. you want what your car was worth the moment before impact.

Now, do a search of my posts from september 03. John made it a sticky for me so I got a lot of action from it. I asked about a dozen questions of recent 951/S2 purchasers.

Here is the definition of fair market value per the federal courts.

"the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts."

State law may state same year make model mileage options and condition, but that basically feeds off the earlier definition.

go on the web and find a real estate appraisal form and study it. send me an e mail and i will send you the spreadsheet I used.

the PCA appraisal will come back at about 10. if that is all you want ignore everything i wrote. if you want more do what i am telling you. There are no tricks. i posted my progress with geico you can read it.

That is how you get a "current condition appraisal for a dead car" you compare your car to other comparable cars!

you dont give a rats *** about other cars appraisals, all you care about is your cars value. you are in the wrong paradigm. if you handed me twenty appraisals of 951s i would throw them back at you without looking at them. they are meaningless. thats like giving me an appraisal of the house down the block and saying that is what your house is worth.

the appraisal of another car is just a stepping stone. but it doesnt hold as much weight as comparing your car to cars that actually sold recently.

i apoligize if the tone sounds angry. I am. I am pissed you are wasting your enerby by going in the wrong direction and setting yourself up for a giant reaming.

Quick Reply: 951 appraisals - I need copies (TedA?)