Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little maintenance , some wrong parts, and a little rust.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 03:07 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little maintenance , some wrong parts, and a little rust.

My 944 wasn't exactly watertight and surprisingly it wasn't sunroof seals. My rear hatch seal had shrunk, and the window scrapers don't seal again the windows. I made an order from Sunset and wound up with a hatch seal; however, the "window moldings" are not the scrapers, they are the little metal piece that got at the bottom of the seal. The correct piece is the "window slot seal" and is found on the window parts diagram and not the door diagram. Doah!!

Hatch seal replacement was straight forward, and a shop pencil made a good, non-maring scraper since I couldn't find a plastic razorblade. I am assuming this gap is what let a little bit of water in the spare tire well last week. It rarely gets driven in the rain but I drove it out of town earlier this week.

I also had it up on the lift to change the trans fluid and it gave me a good opportunity to take pictures of the rust. I didn't notice it last year as I was I too excited when I was buying my old car back. It is all surface at this point and I plan on doing a repaint but not for a year or two. I was thinking about removing the stone guards, sanding down the rusty spots, sealing with POR15, paint over with guards red, and the putting new stone guards on. Opinions/ideas? I also noticed the very bottom corner of the passenger fender was tweaked as well.

Old seal

Inner and outer seals looking rough

New OE seal

Passenger fender with the tweaked corner.

Passenger fender with the tweaked corner.

Passenger side skirt

Passenger side skirt

Passenger 1/4

Passenger 1/4

Driver fender

Driver fender

Driver side skirt

Driver 1/4

Quick Reply: A little maintenance , some wrong parts, and a little rust.