Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Should I buy this 944 post (needs a motor)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 11:14 AM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Even if it's 159K miles (which I doubt based on the interior condition), that would not bother me. Definitely worth far more than $1K based on the seats and wheels alone (assuming they are not reproduction Fuchs). Seems a little too good to be true -- barn find with desirable options and it got stored away with no issues -- how often does that happen? I would take a look but have somebody else evaluate it to bring me down to reality.

Last edited by austin944; 08-13-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:23 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts

I think the proper word for this is “nein”!
Old 08-13-2022, 12:28 PM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Depending on how it was stored...early cars have steel fuel tanks that are really prone to rusting (have to be removed, cleaned, and resealed) and can cause all sorts of headaches to the fuel system if not rectified in the beginning.

Interior looks good on that car...carpets look really well taken care of or they have been replaced.

Last edited by papasmurf; 08-13-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:24 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by austin944
Even if it's 159K miles (which I doubt based on the interior condition), that would not bother me. Definitely worth far more than $1K based on the seats and wheels alone (assuming they are real Fuchs). Seems a little too good to be true -- barn find with desirable options and it got stored away with no issues -- how often does that happen? I would take a look but have somebody else evaluate it to bring me down to reality.
Good point. Any forum member in Cedar Rapids want to take a look for me?
Old 08-13-2022, 02:17 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by papasmurf
Depending on how it was stored...early cars have steel fuel tanks that are really prone to rusting (have to be removed, cleaned, and resealed) and can cause all sorts of headaches to the fuel system if not rectified in the beginning.

Interior looks good on that car...carpets look really well taken care of or they have been replaced.
Good point, @papasmurf I've had the same thing with old motorcycles and used the acid/plasticoat kits. I assume I or a shop could do the same thing here.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:54 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Smurf is right steel tank. If it was stored in 2016 and has sat with old fuel it will most likely more likely than not to get removed and cleaned Etc. They dont make them anymore so you will be stuck with getting it repaired. And no motor cycle fixit will work and no Youtube video of a kid dropping chains inside and shaking it around. You want to drive the car not work on it every parking lot you stop at. You will need the Renew process. Don Harts radiator west of Houston does it. I had mine done about 7 months ago cost me 650$ with them adding a little extra metal at some known weak points. Injectors cleaned and new fuel system components 1K for starters. Not trying to talk you out of it but part of the bargain process. The transaxle has to come for the tank to be removed there hoses on the top and the fuel level sender new is expensive I managed to restore mine . Do you have a car lift in your garage/shop expense #2 ya I know it can be done on jack stands but not this kid. Cedar Rapids is a ways off but the thought of the car sitting inside all that time does have value. And of course why did it get parked. Cam belt broke? did not want to spend the money. A lot of ?s to ask and if theres room to negotiate you might have something. I just brought one back for the dead and payed 1600 for it. All in all its a pretty nice car I was surprised when I actually got eyes on it. Keep us posted theres wealth on info on the forum.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (08-18-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 06:22 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts

I live in Iowa City- where is this car you want looked at?
Old 08-14-2022, 12:50 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasngo
Smurf is right steel tank. If it was stored in 2016 and has sat with old fuel it will most likely more likely than not to get removed and cleaned Etc. They dont make them anymore so you will be stuck with getting it repaired. And no motor cycle fixit will work and no Youtube video of a kid dropping chains inside and shaking it around. You want to drive the car not work on it every parking lot you stop at. You will need the Renew process. Don Harts radiator west of Houston does it. I had mine done about 7 months ago cost me 650$ with them adding a little extra metal at some known weak points. Injectors cleaned and new fuel system components 1K for starters. Not trying to talk you out of it but part of the bargain process. The transaxle has to come for the tank to be removed there hoses on the top and the fuel level sender new is expensive I managed to restore mine . Do you have a car lift in your garage/shop expense #2 ya I know it can be done on jack stands but not this kid.
He says he put seafoam in the gas tank, ran it through the system, then drained the gas out of the gas tank for the winter and left it in storage. I would take tank out of the vehicle and send it to a good radiator shop here that treats them. i've read to do the fuel lines to the fuel rail, clean the injectors, maybe some other fuel lines. Don't have a lift, just stands.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:31 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Stands or block wood tower will work Im 60 and dont move like I used to. I was fortunate to have a plan come together with a tall shop and found a lift on CList for 1200 bucks got lucky there. Are you in the DFW area theres cars on Texas Facebook. I do not have account but typing the correct info in and a area of interest then expand the miles you will find some stuff. I looked yesterday. Theres some ruff stuff and some not so its a matter sifting through which appears you have. Post 14/15/16 all have a positive outlook based on the car being inside and complete. I agree why not wash it and why have a car cover if its going to just lay on the top. Like I said theres value in the garage kept car but no doubt you are not just going to drop gas and go. You could try but the end result would be less than stellar. If you pull the fuel sender which is at the top of the tank and flash light down inside you will have a scope of the tank condition. Yep then does the motor turn freely and so on. Food for thought. A lot of travel to offer 2k and the guy says no. What is he willing to do and or allow you or someone to investigate.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:05 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Ahhh yes...jack stands & a creeper is one thing when you're 40...HOWEVER an entirely different deal when you're 55!

vwbrd...have you looked at the PCA website? Or the club magazine Panorama?
Excellent classified section, typically knowledgeable people selling well kept examples.
Or the Rennlist 924/944/951/968 classifieds. would be a good bet too.
In my experience CL or FB classifieds are sketchy at best.

Last edited by mwc951; 08-14-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:05 PM
16again2009
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 74 and still use jack stands.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:29 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 16again2009
I'm 74 and still use jack stands.
Jack stands are great for building and maintaining core strength
Old 08-15-2022, 10:20 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Boy did this stray off course! Ill have to look out in the shop and see if I can find mine.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:50 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Well, I talked to the owner this weekend and confirmed a bunch of things. It is only 59k miles. He bought it in 1989 from the original owner with 44k miles. No rust, no dents. Never drove it in the wintertime. In the fall he'd put it in climate controlled storage and just this last time he didn't take it out. He has at least 5 other classic cars (mostly 1960s US muscle cars) that I heard him mention and is retiring and moving to FL next year. Everything on the car was working (a/c, brakes, all instruments & dash lights, etc) last time he drove it and like I said he sea foamed it, drained the gas tank.

He is firm on the $4500 price, so I've got that and the 800 miles away thing to contemplate. But a nice 'lister is going to try to look at it for me.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:58 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Cool I would curious to see he finds.

Quick Reply: Yet another Should I buy this 944 post (needs a motor)