Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Should I buy this 944 post (needs a motor)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 07:53 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, the local guru @ElRicardo (Thanks again!) was kind enough to drop by the storage place and take a long, thorough look at the car for me. Unfortunately it seems to be.a case of too good to be true and the picture was not as rosy as "parked it, drained the gas, and left it." Even though it has the fuchs and sport seats, apparently it's worth nowhere near what the owner wants for it, and he told me he was absolutely firm, so the search continues.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:30 AM
Bomach16
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vwbrd
Well, the local guru @ElRicardo (Thanks again!) was kind enough to drop by the storage place and take a long, thorough look at the car for me. Unfortunately it seems to be.a case of too good to be true and the picture was not as rosy as "parked it, drained the gas, and left it." Even though it has the fuchs and sport seats, apparently it's worth nowhere near what the owner wants for it, and he told me he was absolutely firm, so the search continues.
Any word on why specifically? I am supposed to go look at this car this Friday, and what he told me isn't matching up with what you've said here. Did @ElRicardo say if it was looking like 159k miles like someone mentioned? Or is there damage not shown in the pictures? Little disappointed but very glad someone sent me the link to this forum. Being a young guy and new to Porsche, I'm not ready to get a broken down prettied up pig... Any word helps. Thanks, Bowen C
Old 08-23-2022, 12:47 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bomach16
Any word on why specifically? I am supposed to go look at this car this Friday, and what he told me isn't matching up with what you've said here. Did @ElRicardo say if it was looking like 159k miles like someone mentioned? Or is there damage not shown in the pictures? Little disappointed but very glad someone sent me the link to this forum. Being a young guy and new to Porsche, I'm not ready to get a broken down prettied up pig... Any word helps. Thanks, Bowen C
Hope richard doesn't mind me airing this in public: the major things were paint not as good as purported, has been sitting a lot longer than stated, under hood looks like it's been worked on trying to get it going, dash also has been gone into, so maybe some electrical aftermarket or stuff or mystery wires to trace.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:01 AM
Bomach16
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope richard doesn't mind me airing this in public: the major things were paint not as good as purported, has been sitting a lot longer than stated, under hood looks like it's been worked on trying to get it going, dash also has been gone into, so maybe some electrical aftermarket or stuff or mystery wires to trace.
Good grief. Thank you for clearing it up. At the least, I would've wasted 8 hours of my time and hundreds of dollars going down with a trailer only to find the same mess Richard did.

This guy sounds like a total shyster, with the information here, none of his story is lining up at all. I'm completely washing my hands of this. Wish there was a way to warn others who may be in a similar situation I was. Absolutely egregious.

Thank you for your help. Hope you find a nice 944 like you were hoping to at the start.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:55 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

What is your max budget for a 944. I spent $5k on a 944 7 years ago with 60k miles that was what I’d consider in decent/good condition. I’ve put in about $10k more to bring it to excellent/near perfect and that’s doing nearly all of the labor myself.
my point is that you want to be realistic in that you’ll have to spend more time and money than the purchase price.
The following users liked this post:
Micah (08-25-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 07:20 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a possible project near San Antonio, a '91 944S2 convertible offered for $6500:
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...516060568.html

Old 08-30-2022, 10:00 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts

I don’t mind at all- I have been over in Lithuania on business- I actually checked the car out the same morning I left on travel. I think if I ever get cast into the fires of hell it can’t be worse than a flight out of O’Hare!

The car is not nearly what it was purported to be, as described by the OP. Yes there are bad intentioned sellers out there, but typically it is case that an owner develops a haloed view of their car. An objective look usually sees much differently than a fond memory. In this case the car has been sitting for so many years tht the owner has spent more in rent than te car will ever be worth. Loose parts under the hood, low grade paint, a dash that clearly has new rifled through, faded carpet and seats all adds to a much lower value than the owner wants.

again, probably not because he is a bad guy, but he wants to get some of that rent money back and doesn’t realize the market for a laid up early 944 really won’t bear what he wants.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:13 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by austin944
Here's a possible project near San Antonio, a '91 944S2 convertible offered for $6500:
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...516060568.html
Thanks for keeping an eye out, but this weekend I found a different project car. I think it will be a good stepping stone and give me an idea if I'm ready for this before jumping right in to an 80s Porsche.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:46 AM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for keeping an eye out, but this weekend I found a different project car. I think it will be a good stepping stone and give me an idea if I'm ready for this before jumping right in to an 80s Porsche.
I think you did extremely well on the Miata, the 1st gens are destined to become classics. I always turn my head when I see one. And what you said about project 944s on the market is a pretty good assessment.

Quick Reply: Yet another Should I buy this 944 post (needs a motor)