Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make sense to fix this car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 07:54 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Make sense to fix this car?

All of the valves are probably bent, clutch is completely out, rad fans frozen solid, clutch master frozen solid, mouse chewed wiring and hoses, ignition switch wiring needs redone, no keys (other than ignition), no title, lot of small things need attention, tires are completely shot, front shocks completely shot, body less than perfect..
And that’s only what I’ve found so far..

Front seats I’d give an 8/10.. Pretty nice power leather seats with no tears and 98% good seams..

This car could be saved sure, but it would have to be worth probably $8,000-$10,000 with the body as is for it to make sense fixing I’m thinking..
How is the 944 market these days?

”Deserves to be saved”
Really?

What do you figure it is worth now as is?
Y’all still think these are $500-$800 cars in this condition?

And what do you figure it would be worth fixed up?

Exterior..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rm0RekRFQ0s

Interior..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvVODbiPyg

Engine bay..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJGl7Pz_qsw

Last edited by fasteddie313; 09-11-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

How difficult is it to get a title in your name in Michigan? That's probably the deciding factor.
If someone wants to save it, let them buy it off you.
Parting a car is a pain, and unless you're really lucky you're left with a bunch of parts nobody wants.
With no title, what salvage yard is going to take what is left?
If you wanted to swap some of the nicer things on to your own 944, factor that into the resale price.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:54 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I would agree the biggest issue is the lack of title. If that can be obtained then I would fix what I can at a reasonable cost and go from there. I assume you haven’t heard it attempted to run yet? Why do you think the valves are bent?

I would say as-is would still be in that 500-800 range. I’ve seen worse go for more being an NA. Also since it’s an 85.5 the nose panel would be removable, electric parts and updated interior would be correct.

Depending how much it takes to get the title if you put $1000-1500 in it prob would be a decent car that is if the valves aren’t bent.

Last edited by CyCloNe!; 09-11-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:13 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Why does it not have a title? Have you done a VIN search to find out what you can about it's history?

I bought my 924S with a title from New York stamped 'For Parts Only', which prior to purchasing I took to mean 'Salvage' in my home state of California. Boy, was I wrong about that! Long story short, I was able to get a new title and plates for it, but it required an investigation by the CHP, which cost me 0$ by the way, a brake and lamp check, and another investigation by the California DMV. All in all it took about nine months (likely because of the pandemic) and about 2k$. I had no complaints as the DMV went beyond my expectations in charting a path to make this happen at all. From what I've read many states want nothing to do with old cars dragged in from another state with shady paperwork.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:45 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

If someone wants to save it, let them buy it off you.”

Not for anything close to $500-$800! lmao
Not for 2X$800..

I am 100% sure the valves are bent..
Its out of time and has zero compression..
Old 09-13-2022, 02:40 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck registering the car here in MI. I am having trouble registering a car WITH a title because I don't have a bill of sale and it was last registered in 2017 in Chicago. Previous owner now lives in Germany so can't easily get a BOS from him. They want me to bond it because of the lack of BOS even though the title is signed over to me. They don't make it easy here, that's for sure.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:30 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
Good luck registering the car here in MI. I am having trouble registering a car WITH a title because I don't have a bill of sale and it was last registered in 2017 in Chicago. Previous owner now lives in Germany so can't easily get a BOS from him. They want me to bond it because of the lack of BOS even though the title is signed over to me. They don't make it easy here, that's for sure.
I discovered recently that insurance companies bond titles! And for $100!

GF accidentally bought an absolutely terrible 530ix with a skipped unsigned salvage title in a terribly sketchy situation the the Detroit ghetto..

”I’m pretty sure the money was staying there and we could choose to leave with the car or not” type of situation..

Happened to mention it when talking to her insurance broker and they said they would bond it for $100!
Bam, easy fix!

https://www.deweyins.com

Car was a total POS though..
lost like $4000 and a good bit of work on it..

She is not to go car shopping with her brother while I’m out of state anymore..
And her brother is not to drive or work on any of our cars anymore..
Learned some lessons there..

Super sweet car, but not that one..

You don’t win em all, but that entire situation was chock full of red flags and ignorant mistakes..

Last edited by fasteddie313; 09-13-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Make sense to fix this car?