Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OH NO! did I hurt it??? Oil pressure loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 12:07 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default OH NO! did I hurt it??? Oil pressure loss

just my luck, I haven't driven my 951 all year, and its about to snow. So i figure let me take it around the block and put a couple gallons of fresh gas in.
Right after I pull away from the gas station, I get the RED light.... what's going on??? Ouuh OH.... Oil pressure 0 im only going about 20-30mph in 2nd. I think, maybe its the Sender?? But then I remeber I had seen a leak from the Braided hose on the NEW big oil cooler I installed.

I start to pull over, but Im only 2 blocks from home. towing at night etc etc, its going to be a huge hassle.....Im only 2 blocks away.... I decided to make it home. takes me some where between 60-90seconds before I pull in and shut it off.
Was starting to hear the tappets clack when i pulled in.

And yep, it was that hose, it blew off the fitting. had 8qts of almost new 15-w50 M1.

BTW I did throw in 2qt of oil afterwards, which probably did nothing. and after I got situated I just kicked the starter just to make sure the engine didn't lock up.

Last edited by Not_Sure; 11-03-2022 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:40 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 301 Posts

Hard to say. Based on your light usage babying it on the way home, I'd be tempted to fix the problem, get some oil in it, and put some local miles on it. See what happens. Or you can say this was a sign from the car gods that it is time to change out the rod and main bearings.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:42 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 238 Posts

Asking us whether or not you have damaged your engine will not give you any information. Drain the oil and look for shiny bits of metal. That will tell you if you have damaged the rod bearings.

The good news is you have all winter to fix it.

Personally, I get the red light, I'm shutting it down. The cost of an engine rebuild is not worth gambling the cost of a tow truck, no matter how short a ride.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:45 AM
DHS928
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Well you could pull the oil filter and cut it open and check for metal. Mobil 1 is perrty good oil it might have stayed in the bearings even as the pressure/flow dropped. Pull the plugs fix the hose put in some oil and spin it up and see if you get pressure.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:10 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 385 Likes on 250 Posts

I vote for better safe, not sorry.
Years ago, I had a customer run his Rabbit out of oil.
We refilled it, ran great, no noises, had fine oil pressure...
Month later it gave it up.
Rod and main bearings were gone, crank was scrap.
I suspect that if we had just pulled it apart first, we would have been able to save the crank and a bunch of labor.
Good news though, Rabbit cranks were almost free.
Dunno what a 944 crank goes for these days...

Pull the oil pan, if the bearings are OK, good news!
If they aren't, the crank might still be undamaged, and you can just roll new bearings in without pulling the motor.
If the crank is damaged, better to know sooner than later.
Let us know what you do!
The following users liked this post:
curtisr (03-31-2023)
Old 11-03-2022, 04:33 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I vote for better safe, not sorry.
Years ago, I had a customer run his Rabbit out of oil.
We refilled it, ran great, no noises, had fine oil pressure...
Month later it gave it up.
Rod and main bearings were gone, crank was scrap.
I suspect that if we had just pulled it apart first, we would have been able to save the crank and a bunch of labor.
Good news though, Rabbit cranks were almost free.
Dunno what a 944 crank goes for these days...

Pull the oil pan, if the bearings are OK, good news!
If they aren't, the crank might still be undamaged, and you can just roll new bearings in without pulling the motor.
If the crank is damaged, better to know sooner than later.
Let us know what you do!
Im assuming the 944 crank is a little bigger than the Rabbit.

Well Not sure when I will get to it, as I said the car has been sitting all year, my next step, whenever i get to it, will be to fill with oil, let it idle for a bit then pull the filter and open it up, and drain the oil and see what I see. and keep my fingers crossed.

I actually went back today an retraced the path, could see where it initially blew and followed the trail, had a wider line about half way. the other half there was still a small strip.
It was about 3/4mi.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:42 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

BTW if it was any further, I would have stopped. I was just circling the block. just over a week ago, My motorcycle broke down and getting a tow home was a nightmare! really didnt feel like standing around for 4-5hours (thought I guess i could have walked home!)
Old 11-03-2022, 06:03 PM
931guru
Drifting

Originally Posted by Not_Sure
It was about 3/4mi.
That far... I would bet that you have damaged the crank, probably the #2 rod bearing. Ah, well, nothing that time and money can't fix.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:07 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931guru
That far... I would bet that you have damaged the crank, probably the #2 rod bearing. Ah, well, nothing that time and money can't fix.
well, if that it that case, is that time to upgrade to a 3L crank?? I have a 16v S head i was planing on putting on eventually
Old 11-03-2022, 08:36 PM
931guru
Drifting

Originally Posted by Not_Sure
well, if that it that case, is that time to upgrade to a 3L crank?? I have a 16v S head i was planing on putting on eventually
Go for it!
Old 11-03-2022, 09:56 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

I don't wanna say knowingly operating an engine without oil pressure is a really 'absent-minded' thing to do, but....
Old 11-03-2022, 10:08 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tempest411
I don't wanna say knowingly operating an engine without oil pressure is a really 'absent-minded' thing to do, but....
yeah, hindsight is 20/40.... when you're in a panicked situation....."everybody got a plan till you get punched in the mouth"
Old 11-03-2022, 10:49 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Hard to say.. I had my crank bolt come out a bit and the oil pressure dropped really low. Sounded like a diesel but drove it 5 miles home. Checked the oil and re-torqued the bolt, all was good. Tan fine till I sold
it 5yrs later.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:10 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 385 Likes on 250 Posts

Life is a gamble.
A.) Run it and see if it's F'd up. Hoping it won't suffer a more catastrophic failure later.
B.) Assume it's F'd up, pull the motor to replace the crank and bearings. Hoping you're not wasting a HUGE amount of effort.
C.) Split the difference, drop the pan, inspect the bearings and crank in the car.
If the crank is OK, you can swap in new bearings in place. Even if they're OK... why not?
The F crank bearing might be a problem... I forget if they're the 'full circle' style.
If the crank is F'd, well, the engine will probably come out easier without the pan on it...
Good luck!
Old 11-04-2022, 05:17 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

well FWIW, I know its not exactly the same thing, but I did put Bestline in my engine, due to ProjectFarms testing. Only time I ever added anything to the oil. Hope it might have helped:

Quick Reply: OH NO! did I hurt it??? Oil pressure loss