Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term storage for a spare car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 12:44 PM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Long term storage for a spare car?

I'm hoping someone has experience with this but I'm open to all ideas. I want to be able to store a spare car outdoors for years to come. I understand that the rubber bits break down and I'm ok with that. I just want to keep it as safe as possible outside without needing a climate controlled garage or storage unit. I was thinking about shrink wrapping it and putting it in a wooden box, and then maybe shrink wrapping the box?
Old 01-01-2023, 02:05 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 387 Likes on 252 Posts

Shipping container?
Old 01-01-2023, 02:36 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Shipping container is your best bet. But no matter what things will go bad… no oil getting on the cyl walls rotors will rust to the pads.. temperature swings will take its toll.. at least a shipping container is tight enough to keep the critters out. Anything else you will have to deal with unwanted guests..
Old 01-01-2023, 03:11 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure if this is possible for your situation, but I've been "storing" a car outdoors and driving it once a month for the past few years. It still degrades, mostly from Sun damage, but so far there are no signs of animals other than spiders. It still starts/runs/drives excellent with a periodic battery recharge.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:13 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 387 Likes on 252 Posts

Mice can do unbelievable damage to a car....
Old 01-02-2023, 03:48 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Mice can do unbelievable damage to a car....
As can chipmunks! As I found out.

So, depending on where you live, mold can be a problem in a car that sits. I live in the woods and even in my 36x26 steel building that's enclosed on 5 sides, my 87 ROTTED inside! My 2001 BMW 740IL is rotting as well (parked due to a bad miss I've never been able to figure out). And I mean rotting. The 951 will get moldy if I don't take it out often enough. But if I let it sit for a few months I have to wipe it down inside or it grows stuff. So keep that in mind as well. I'd avoid shrink wrap for that reason. If moisture does get inside, it can't get out! That's why car covers breath. As long as I drive my three other cars (and roll down the windows or use the air) every month or so, the mold doesn't form or grow. But if any of them stays closed up and unmoved... it gets bad.

To be honest, I'd just invest in a high-end car cover, and call it a day. You can get those steel carports pretty cheap, and that will help with the sun/hail/rain etc. About as cheap as a shipping container, and mold won't be such a problem out in the open. Just depends on how damp it is where you are. Course, none of that helps with mice/chipmunks/squirrels. I'm going to have to build a steel screen for my airbox, they like to nest in it. And I'm thinking of "minting" under my hood. I had always heard mothballs worked, but Google says that's wrong I've found. Mint is the suggested deterrent. But I do live in the woods, it's a real issue for me in any car I don't drive daily. We might be more help if we knew WHERE you're thinking of storing it. What's the area like? City/woods? Humid/Rainy? Dry/hot?
Old 01-04-2023, 07:03 PM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I did consider the shipping container (thanks Nowanker & Glenn) and I haven't ruled it out but still pondering some options. The good thing about the shipping container is that it can be shipped! I also looked at those pop-up style steel framed carports with the heavy duty fabric sides but I think they will get crushed with the snow load here in NY or possibly blow away. Critters are definitley on my list of worries and I hadn't considered mold (thanks 951 Dreams), I'm going to give that some thought.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:09 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

a 20' reefer for some temp control!

Quick Reply: Long term storage for a spare car?