Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aventurine 968

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 05:37 PM
Xsboost
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aventurine 968

So I’ve been on here since 2002 and I’ve had a bunch of cars but my account was deleted so I’m a newbie again I guess.

It’s been 10 years since I’ve owned a pcar that I wasn’t flipping while I built and tracked the #fauxmoco mustang also “ the official mustang of 944fest” it sold recently and I knew I needed another water pumper. I looked at a bunch of turbos but this time I really wanted a 968. I called Elliot Grafton if 944barn and he gave me a list of cars but the only one I wanted was this green 968 with cashmire unterior, 6spd with 42,000 miles!! He explained it had an interesting past but being a car builder I decided to move forward. Inspection of the car showed nearly no evidence of a crash and im pretty good at spotting things.
While waiting I started ordering parts and got all the engine maintenace parts for front and top of the motor, koni sport shocks and inserts f/r, a drop on coilover kit up front with 350lb spring and 30mm rear t bars. I found a set of three piece 17” wheels here on marketplace and several other small bits.

I picked up the car a two weeks ago and found some starter cable issues so rebuilt the starter harness and she starts great. Drove it one time to work and broke the trans mount 😫 but I know why. Took it up to the dmv to get the title process started because it’s going to take a minute. Here’s why…

The car was purchased in Allentown PA 9-28-94 and very soon after was totaled. Front end collision. From there it gets a bit fuzzy but soon after the shop that fixed it found a matching Aventurine green 1995 968 (auto with grey int) and spliced the whole front clip into this car. The work was well done, splitting the pinch weld back to the center of the door and straight across rocker to rocker. A pillars were clipped up high and also very well done. This left no paint work to do under the hood or trunk and minimal in between. Being a paint snob the roof looks not great but most of the rest is either original or pretty nice. I’ll prob respray the car at some point anyway. That leads me to the trans mount. I guess it broke in the wreck and was tig welded nicely but didn’t hold up. Otherwise besides needing some typical rubber replaced it’s very nice.

This week I dug in to both researching more history and installing my shiny parts. Torsion bars and shocks are in. Front coilovers and koni inserts are done. Ride height is now more relaxed which only raises the attitude. I have some engine work to dig into, buffing to do on the paint for now and maybe I can reduce the seats due to a little wear but no matter what in March the wife and I will be driving it to Amelia island in March for the Werkes reunion and Radwood. Can’t wait!! Also see you at 944fest can’t miss that.

Last edited by Xsboost; 01-22-2023 at 07:27 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Xsboost:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (01-22-2023), Jay Wellwood (01-22-2023), JRP944 (01-23-2023), Ufnavy06 (04-07-2023), Voith (04-08-2023), voodu3 (04-08-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-22-2023, 07:02 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Hey Xsboost, welcome to Rennlist! I think you will like it here.
Great looking car Dan, thanks for sharing the intro. When you get a car with a history like that it makes it easier to go in the direction I think you are going!
Old 01-22-2023, 07:04 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome back Dan, You will give her a goof life. I haven't posted in over a year but I do browse rennlist from time to time.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:25 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Some say that green cars are unlucky, guess the smash sort of backs that up...
Old 01-22-2023, 07:29 PM
Xsboost
Track Day

See you guys at Nelson !!
Old 01-22-2023, 07:56 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, hoping to bring a real gem this year
The following users liked this post:
Xsboost (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 09:19 PM
Xsboost
Track Day

I’ve seen a lot more wrecked red 944 than green anything.
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 03:45 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Xsboost
Me too! LOL
Whats up with the exhaust on the 968?

Aventurine Meaning and Properties

Aventurine History

Aventurine gets its name from the Italian word "avventura"--by chance, risk or luck. Its name is tied to the creation of goldstone, and the name for the manmade material was transferred to the natural material once the gemstone was identified.We were told that centuries ago, Tibetans decorated their statues with the stone we call aventurine, used most often in the eyes, so each shimmer of light increased the statue's visionary powers. Until the 19th Century, aventurine was called the "stone of the Amazons," as the deposits in Brazil were thought to have supplied the jewels of Amazon warrior queens.

Aventurine has a number of bynames and trade names, including adventurine, adventurine quartz and Indian "jade." Besides being used for beads and jewelry-making, aventurine is also carved into ornamental or décor pieces such as bowls, vases and statuettes. It has occasionally appeared in landscaping and as building material for monuments.

The name Aventurine has been used by Venetian glassmakers, credit card processing companies, video game developers and even private equity firms.

Aventurine Metaphysical Properties

Though there isn't a "d" in the word, aventurine makes wearers think "adventure." Think optimism. Think bountiful. Think practical enthusiasm. This stone is believed to be a positive stone of prosperity, diffusing negative emotions, reinforcing leadership, promoting compassion and encouraging perseverance. It is a stone used to promote open-mindedness and the ability to see alternatives and possibilities, which is why it is considered a lucky stone for gamblers!
Specific colors of aventurine are thought to have additional properties:
Blue: promotes mental healing
Green: eases mental and emotional trauma, dissolving negative thought and bringing calm
Red: boosts creativity, vitality and sensuality

Aventurine Geological Properties

This quartz-based gemstone is known for its bright inclusions and glistening or shimmering effect (aventurescence). This effect comes from the presence of chrome-bearing fuchsite, which adds a silvery green or silvery blue sheen to the stone. Red, orange and brown types of aventurine are created when hematite or goethite is present instead of fuchsite.Aventurine has been discovered as beads, talismans and tools in archaeological digs as far back as the Omo Valley in Ethiopia (2.5 million years). We've been using aventurine (no matter what we called it) for a very, very long time! Aventurine's superiority for tool-making is due to its hardness and the inherent isotropic brittleness which makes it easy to shape.

Aventurine is found in Europe, India, Chile, Tanzania, Brazil and across northern Asia (including China, Nepal, Tibet and Russia).
Mineral Information Tektosilicates, quartz (silica group) Chemical Composition SiO2 Color Green, gold-brown Hardness 7 (Mohs) Specific Gravity 2.65 Refractive Index 1.544 - 1.563

Proper Care of Aventurine

Aventurine can fade with prolonged exposure to the sun, so store gems in a dark place. It also reacts to extreme temperatures, so keep this gemstone off the dash of your car in summer or in winter. Be sure to clean this gemstone in warm soapy water and a soft cloth or brush. This gemstone's hardness makes it durable, but it can be sheared, so keep it separate from other gemstones. Keep away from household chemicals.
To learn more about aventurine and other gemstones, order your copy of Walter Schumann's revised and expanded edition of Gemstones of the World.

Designing with Aventurine

Its many metaphysical qualities--as well as its natural beauty--makes aventurine a popular gemstone for jewelry designs. While some artists prefer to use aventurine for rosaries or mala prayer beads, others choose the stone for its color and shimmering glitter.
Green is the most common hue for this stone, which offers a range of design options. Mix with crystals or cultured freshwater pearls for a classic look, with Czech pressed glass for something fresh and springtime, in a blend of multiple colors of aventurine together for goes-everywhere-with-everything style and more.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Xsboost
Track Day

Stock exhaust!!
Old 01-24-2023, 10:20 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice car! Amazing story about the car - do you have pictures of the splice location? Hard to tell from the pictures you already posted.

What’s your plan with the car? OE +?
Old 01-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Xsboost
Track Day

No close up pics yet I’ll get some soon. Car is a street car my wife and I can go to events in but I’m also a pca instructor so some track events. Not changing seats etc in this one…

Last edited by Xsboost; 01-25-2023 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:27 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsboost
That's because there are a lot of red 944's.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:15 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Contact an admin and get the acct reset. OG! https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...xsboost90.html
Old 01-25-2023, 12:16 AM
Xsboost
Track Day

Did twice. No response
Old 01-25-2023, 12:21 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

hockeydudeeeeeeeeeee

Quick Reply: Aventurine 968