Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A canyon run that didn't end to great, yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 03:42 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
Um... Are you serious, you are wasting my time in my thread with such a worthless, and mildly annoying comment? Whats the point of posting that? I said I excelled at the event? I did, so? Doesn't mean I can now go out there and beat everyone around the track. I just did well that weekend, you can't just shut up, or say something constructive?

"I'm glad you feel you did well Eyal, however that is exactly the kind of attitude that will get a guy hurt or killed, I have seen it so many times before. One track event, no matter how well you think you did, does not qualify you with the same experience and ability as many good drivers. You may have done well for your first event, but trust me, from a man with experience, you have a lot to learn."

Would that have been so hard?
~Eyal

I think that is what he said. He was just less verbose.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:57 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by TaylorSea4
I could ramble on about my own experience on a group ride (superbikes) and a friend who crushed his pelvis and both feet. I won't. Nor will I rehash my own dumbass moments of youth.

Although I WILL side with Tifo about pedal-bikers. WE HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT ON THE ROAD AS CARS (at least in Texas, we do)! Does anyone here pull over in their car dragging the right wheels in the grass/gravel/dirt when a faster car comes up? No. He passes you (legally) when he/she can. It sickens me to see Houston put in a TON of bike lanes around town and see people using them as right turn lanes (in FRONT of cops, no less) instead. Bikers have FULL RIGHTS to the FULL F**KING LANE as every car. EVERY time I do a street ride, I ride in the right lane BY THE STRIPE. I defend my ****in' lane, bub; I don't want some ***-clown thinking he can squeeze between me and Bubba in his F-150.

I also agree that there is a HUGE contingency of ****ing POSERS in these fun runs that are AS THREATENING as drunk drivers (if not moreso). What do we do? That being said, I am glad the guy will be okay. I suppose it bears repeating here that the track is a CONTROLLED environment with VERY few variables. But I think we ALL oughta think twice about flaming the guy unless none of us have never driven our cars/bikes/trucks/whatever WELL over the legal speed limit (85-90mph) on say, the freeway in the morning. Hell, Kevin and I still call the Hardy Toll Road the Texas Autobahn. We also had a little 2 turn street on the way to our office we always tried to hit 50mph on before we braked. Is THAT safe?? I'll be the first to admit that slower cars are like moving chicanes, but is that any safer than a high speed roost down a twisty road? Methinks we've passed into some gray area here.

Driving anything anywhere at 80% is simply that. Leaving yourself enough "oh, ****!" room. We all do it. I agree with someone else that 80% of even MY (limited and undeveloped) ability in a new GT3 is WAY too Goddamn fast for public roads. Or is it? I can drive you to some DESERTED roads in Texas that, at night, are devoid of any life (plus you can see cars coming for MILES- even on the side roads). So is it unsafe to stretch the car's legs and run over the ton for a spell? We're all so quick to condemn, and yet chances are 90% of us do similar **** when we deem the conditions 'safe.' See my point??

Eyal, I for one, understand where you're coming from, but if self-preservation is an instinct you possess, then you'll refrain from hitchin' a ride with Mr. GT3 Wannabe again. A great car does NOT make a squid into a great driver. I quit riding with a group of guys that were WAY too dangerous for my comfort, and I got to enjoy the solitude of riding alone and making my own discoveries. The "too much money/too far for DE" argument is thin, bub. Really thin. Mapquest sez Rosamond, CA, (home to the Fastest Road in the West; aka Willow Springs) is about 80 miles from you. God knows there are enough track days AND autocrosses out there that you can find one that fits a budget. How'd you pay for the Lindsey go-fast goodies and the strut brace, man?

Again, I hope your bud gets well soon, and I also hope you find some clarity from this crash. The slow guy driving at 6/10 or 8/10 had a (possible) mechanical and he STILL went over the edge? Somethin' doesn't add up there. Think about it, dude...
I didn't pay for a mod on the car yet the LBE and the strut brace were on the car when i got it. I traded my stock chips for the autothoritry chips... I think the first mod I will be paying for is modifying my head. I have some salivating work going into the head i just pulled off the car because of a broken tap in on of the bolt holes. hey, its off, might as well upgrade!
~Eyal
Old 06-04-2004, 03:21 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by TaylorSea4

Although I WILL side with Tifo about pedal-bikers. WE HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT ON THE ROAD AS CARS (at least in Texas, we do)! Does anyone here pull over in their car dragging the right wheels in the grass/gravel/dirt when a faster car comes up? No. He passes you (legally) when he/she can. It sickens me to see Houston put in a TON of bike lanes around town and see people using them as right turn lanes (in FRONT of cops, no less) instead. Bikers have FULL RIGHTS to the FULL F**KING LANE as every car. EVERY time I do a street ride, I ride in the right lane BY THE STRIPE. I defend my ****in' lane, bub; I don't want some ***-clown thinking he can squeeze between me and Bubba in his F 150
I drive an 18 wheeler, the 944, a motorcycle and a bicycle. When something bigger is around, I don't think that I have that much right of way anymore, to push the point is asking for a trip to the ER.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe bikes have as much right as cars. However, when a car is going 10 miles per hour up a hill with 20 cars behind him (my friend's dad driving), he needs to move over for the other cars to pass as courtesy. If I decide to cut off a semi going 45 miles per hour trying to get into the left turning lane at 15 mph and get hit, it would be my fault and have no one to blame if I get hurt or died. The bike has just as many rights but needs to abide by the rules of the road just as any car or slow (in some cases extremely slow) moving traffic. Obstructing traffic for going TOO slow is a ticketable offense and I found out the hard way driving 47 miles per hour on the interstate in a heavily laden extended van.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:20 PM
claw
Intermediate

Thanks for the post. I'll have my son look tonight. I'm letting him drive the S2 until he heads off to college. He took accident avoidance at Summit Point and has a level head......but fast cars and testosterone can be deadly.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I want to bump this thread just to remind people. (ok, I might have been a little sentimental and searched some of my old posts, but still this is a good post to bump)
Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
your right, i could have sued him, for a lot, and he knows it too, but I'm just not that kind of person. I was not hurt... badly at least, nothing to sue over.
~Eyal
it would take a lot of ***** to sue someone you chose to ride with in a twisty/windy canyon run like this.

Quick Reply: A canyon run that didn't end to great, yesterday.