Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quite noisy inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 05:08 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default quite noisy inside!

Well I have finally got the car to a point I can actually take it on some drives.... not 100% complete, but getting there... Except dang the wind noise is pretty high! It's a deafening roar, to the point I can't hear the radio (at a reasonable volume) and honestly the noise is starting to bug me. On my last drive around 2hrs (each way) at speeds above 50, up to 75, it actually made the drive more tiring.

the sound seemed to be mainly coming from the windshield / A pillar area. this is a 931, so basically early 944. I just put a New door seal in, and that seemed to make Zero difference. Also I upgraded to the late, smoother rain gutters.

Now I should mention that at the moment I dont have the door panels in, but theres no way they would make that much difference. I dont expect new car quiet, but not have to turn up the radio to max volume.

The only other thing, worth mentioning, is I have the metal trim around the Windshield removed, Im planning on putting in a late Flush windshield, but again, I doubt that would make a huge impact.

I did put some duct tape over the vents on the front of the door frame, with no change.

its almost as if a sharp edge is catching the wind.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:14 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

Windshield trim can make a big difference. Porsche added a rubber infill strip to the a pillar trims and of course later went to a flush design. The top windshield trim profile was also changed from the 924 to the 944 to a less square design with more leading edge angle. Other possible contributors can be the leading edges of doors and the sunroof panel. These can be affected with adjustment to keep the leading edge of each panel slightly "in" from the forward surface.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:00 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Door panels installed will help a lot.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:47 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 137 Posts

Don't believe you will be able to install late flush windshield in a 931.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:04 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Don't believe you will be able to install late flush windshield in a 931.
Yes, you can, all cars can be upgraded to late windshield
Old 11-19-2023, 12:53 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

I just looked at my 944, and noticed the inner trim on the body, has this bulb seal, that the 931 doesnt have. Could that make that much difference? because it seems like the new door seal on the 931 is pretty tight? I mean I have to used extra force to fully shut the door.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:01 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 137 Posts

You are correct, spacers will need to be installed for late windshield to go into early car.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:19 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

With new seals, its normal that a little extra force is necessary to close the doors. Nothing excessive, but a little extra is acceptable. If the required force is fairly excessive over what you're used to, it's possible that the seals were manufactured incorrectly or they are not fully seated into place. What brand of door seals did you use?

The next step I would take is to put the door panel on and drive it again. Make sure the moisture barrier is installed as well. Having no door panel can attribute to wind noise some. If that makes little to no difference, you will want to get masking tape and tape the perimeter of the windshield between the windshield and the roof and windshield and the A-pillars. Take the car for a drive and this will eliminate the possibility of a bad windshield seal. Even the slightest crack in the sealer can cause a nasty wind noise and this is a way to eliminate that as a possibility. You'll have to get a little creative with the lower portion of the windshield, but I'm confident it can still be masked off.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:21 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wind noise comes from the “flag” mirrors cutting the wind. When driving, place your hand in front of the mirror and see if that helps. I narrowed it down to the pivot point of the mirror. Air passes through the gap and causes a loud hissing/scraping noise. I put a piece of electrical tape around that area and it’s about 50% quieter. When I put my mirror bras on (hey, it was a 1980’s thing 😂 ) it also makes the wind noise much better.
Also, you can check for seal leaks by placing the car in a garage (no wind). Next, with key on, engine off, turn your blower motor on high. Fire up a big stogie then walk around the car blowing smoke at all seals and you’ll see the smoke disturbed where any air leak is. Helps to use a small flashlight. I have a smoke machine which helps save the cigars! Good luck.

Last edited by Lizard944; 11-19-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: quite noisy inside!