Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I replace the trans rear cover seal without removing the unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 09:29 AM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Can I replace the trans rear cover seal without removing the unit

I have a slight leak in the bottom of the rear seal, and I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the bolts, and replace with 3-4 slight longer guide bolts enough to slide the cover as far rearward as it can go, and work the paper gasket around the case to replace it. Worst case scenario I guess I could make a clean cut at TDC and make sure the silicone sealed it.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:35 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I had the trans out of the car and was able to replace it without removing the cover. The cover only seemed to want to open an inch or so before it hit resistance. Being totally ignorant of transaxles I left it like that and was able to maneuver the gasket around into place without cutting it.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:27 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I suspect you'll find yourself spending more time fiddling with the in-car replacement than were you to drop the transmission. Bear in mind that you cannot get the end cover off the center case section ("end plate") without removing the rear seal, input shaft bolt, and rear inner bearing race.

You sure your leak is from the paper gasket? That would be very unusual, I cannot recall ever seeing one leak. Looking at picture, there is no need for sealant in addition to the paper gasket.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:53 PM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 215 Posts

You sure your leak is from the paper gasket? That would be very unusual, I cannot recall ever seeing one leak. Looking at picture, there is no need for sealant in addition to the paper gasket.
I’m not actually sure. It had a lot of dried caked on the bottom half of the cover. Top bolts under the black shroud were pretty clean.

maybe it’s just residual. the shift arm seal and the spring cover were pretty leaky. I replaced both of those and called it a day for now. Though I had loosened the cover bolts before I realized what was underneath it 🤦‍♂️ so I might have created a leak. Will find out soon enough.

Quick Reply: Can I replace the trans rear cover seal without removing the unit