Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 s 1987 cranks but wont start always did before

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 03:55 PM
Ricky51
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 924 s 1987 cranks but wont start always did before

Started in the morning turned it off drain all the old gas that was 2 years old put seafoam and 5 gallons of gas now it won't start I did hear something fall in the gas tank but I thought that was just a gas gauge reader
Old 01-16-2024, 04:31 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 207 Posts

Read through this:
https://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-01.htm
The following users liked this post:
curtisr (01-20-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 10:59 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Always good to start with looking for tach bounce (or twitch) and trying a DME relay jumper.
curtisr (01-20-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 12:15 PM
Ricky51
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Always good to start with looking for tach bounce (or twitch) and trying a DME relay jumper.
I put dme in from Amazon I only drained old gas.now no start tack jump tiny bit .plz help ty
Old 01-17-2024, 07:35 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try. A DME relay jumper. And look. for tach. bounce.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:35 AM
Ricky51
Intermediate

I have tiny tach bounce and put Amazon dme in put starting fluid in throttle body still only tries to start
Old 01-18-2024, 12:37 AM
Ricky51
Intermediate

Jumping at DME does it only bypass the fuel pump it is a bypass anything else in other words is it necessary to put a jumper on? Ty
Old 01-18-2024, 08:12 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

If people don't want to take advice I am less motivated to help.
You jumper at the DME relay socket, not at the DME itself.
The jumper bypasses the relay that powers the DME and the relay that the DME controls that powers the fuel pump.
Some cheap new DME relays are junk.

With the jumper in place you should hear the fuel pump running. The "tries to start" is encouraging.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:56 AM
Ricky51
Intermediate

If people don't want to take advice I am less motivated to help.
You jumper at the DME relay socket, not at the DME itself.
The jumper bypasses the relay that powers the DME and the relay that the DME controls that powers the fuel pump.
Some cheap new DME relays are junk.

With the jumper in place you should hear the fuel pump running. The "tries to start" is encouraging.
Thank you so much iam sorry if I posted that in a unposting way I was trying to learn as we go along .I will just concentrate on getting it started and listening from now on thank you 👍
Tiger03447 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 09:13 PM
Ricky51
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ricky51
Thank you so much iam sorry if I posted that in a unposting way I was trying to learn as we go along .I will just concentrate on getting it started and listening from now on thank you 👍
Okay I made a wire with three connections and bypass the dme to know prevail still tries to start but doesn't attack bounces slightly please help I don't have much time
Old 01-18-2024, 09:18 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

did you hear the fuel pump?
Old 01-18-2024, 09:19 PM
Ricky51
Intermediate

did you hear the fuel pump?
Yes
Old 01-19-2024, 07:53 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK next is a fuel flow test. Probably going to end up cleaning the fuel injectors. Maybe replacing the fuel filer.
You want to use your jumper to run the fuel pump to test fuel flow so there is no ignition, lots of fire potential otherwise.
Testing pressure would be good but if you don't have a rig for that just making sure your pump can deliver adequate fuel is probably adequate.
It's possible to remove the fuel line test port (catch the ball bearing inside) and test from there.
- Counterhold the rail fitting when taking the cap off or it will twist or crack
- You can find a hose that will fit over the threads tightly and with a hose clamp will seal.
- Connect the jumper briefly
- Gas should fill a beer bottle in a few seconds
- obviously be ready to fight a fire

I guess we don't know what the noise from the tank was.

Also check the spark plugs and clean or replace them if needed.
Make sure it sounds like it's actually cranking normally and not whirring like a sewing machine (broken timing belt)
If it's flowing enough fuel and is almost starting on starting fluid, plugs look OK, maybe time to look for injector pulse, tickle the injectors or just pull them for cleaning and testing.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:38 PM
Ricky51
Intermediate

OK next is a fuel flow test. Probably going to end up cleaning the fuel injectors. Maybe replacing the fuel filer.
You want to use your jumper to run the fuel pump to test fuel flow so there is no ignition, lots of fire potential otherwise.
Testing pressure would be good but if you don't have a rig for that just making sure your pump can deliver adequate fuel is probably adequate.
It's possible to remove the fuel line test port (catch the ball bearing inside) and test from there.
- Counterhold the rail fitting when taking the cap off or it will twist or crack
- You can find a hose that will fit over the threads tightly and with a hose clamp will seal.
- Connect the jumper briefly
- Gas should fill a beer bottle in a few seconds
- obviously be ready to fight a fire

I guess we don't know what the noise from the tank was.

Also check the spark plugs and clean or replace them if needed.
Make sure it sounds like it's actually cranking normally and not whirring like a sewing machine (broken timing belt)
If it's flowing enough fuel and is almost starting on starting fluid, plugs look OK, maybe time to look for injector pulse, tickle the injectors or just pull them for cleaning and testing.
Thank you so much for your help did I tell you that it almost starts I did clean the injectors and clean the spark plugs but I will go over them again and I did rent a fuel pressure tester and I bought a fuel filter I don't know how to send a picture to you, fast learner cuz it doesn't look like the Porsche filter I hope that will be sufficient also it is below zero where I'm at the torpedo heater is doing me no justice and I'm going to have to go out there I appreciate all your help I'll let you know thanks again I don't know what I do without you
Old 01-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Ricky51
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ricky51
Thank you so much for your help did I tell you that it almost starts I did clean the injectors and clean the spark plugs but I will go over them again and I did rent a fuel pressure tester and I bought a fuel filter I don't know how to send a picture to you, fast learner cuz it doesn't look like the Porsche filter I hope that will be sufficient also it is below zero where I'm at the torpedo heater is doing me no justice and I'm going to have to go out there I appreciate all your help I'll let you know thanks again I don't know what I do without you
PS I left the jumper in there and disconnected the battery cable can I run the pressure tester with the jumper still in there? Without cranking the car of course

Quick Reply: 924 s 1987 cranks but wont start always did before