Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front coil spring info

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 11:39 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Front coil spring info

So much for my Internet searching skills... I'm trying to find out what the dimensions are for a 200 - 250# front coil lowering spring (by no more than an inch) to fit an '87 924s. The destination is the pictured avatar. The shocks are, at the moment, of the original size. I'd love to know the length, ID, and lowering amount. And, yes, I will reindex the torsion bars to match the change in height. Makes and models of such coil springs are more than welcome! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2024, 03:53 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If the series you're running with allows, I think I would just look at buying a coilover kit for the front struts. Either Paragon Products or Ground Control come to mind, I'm sure there are others.

Weltmeister used to make stock height and lowering springs in 200lb/in and 250lb/in, but I don't think they're made anymore. I saw some other springs on eBay from Poland, but I don't know anything about those. I'm not aware of any other manufacturers.

If you need stock looking springs to meet an organization's rules, there might be something in the VW / Audi parts bin that will meet your needs.
The following users liked this post:
curtisr (02-18-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 03:58 PM
Tony5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Weltmeister used to make stock height and lowering springs in 200lb/in and 250lb/in, but I don't think they're made anymore.
Rose Passion still carries them.
curtisr (02-18-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 08:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

do know that going to the 200lb spring in the front with stock T-bars in the back will make the car tend to understeer much more than even the factory setup.
i lived with that setup for about 8 years before changing the torsion bars to 26mm to match and that made a big difference.

you can try to tune it away with swaybar mix and matching but i don't know if you'll get there fully.

i still have the Weltmeister 200# springs on my car, they do lower by about 1.25" or so. i am looking for a set of springs in that springrate that is stock height, so if you find something let me know.
The following 2 users liked this post by V2Rocket:
curtisr (02-18-2024), Tony5 (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 11:28 AM
Tony5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
do know that going to the 200lb spring in the front with stock T-bars in the back will make the car tend to understeer much more than even the factory setup.
Preach it.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Useful info relevant to the original post, since I have a stock early spring laying around

ID 96mm
OD 120mm
wire 12mm (+/- 0.1mm in spots)

free length 15.25”
installed length on early 944 strut about 13.125”
The following 2 users liked this post by V2Rocket:
curtisr (02-18-2024), Tony5 (02-17-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 09:09 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Thank you one and all. On the subject of what is allowed and what isn't, it's frustrating. Some rules allow a complete change over to adjustable coil overs and others do not. My head swims with the effort to make a decision on one or another. While one might think it shouldn't that difficult to decide on a race series but a move from Eastern Ontario to Northwestern Ontario means I really only have access to Brainerd IR. Travelling elsewhere is probably not an option.

Now that I'm armed with where to look, what to look for and a desire not to have too much understeer I look forward to getting back into the garage this Spring. Or earlier thanks to El Nino (sp).
Old 02-19-2024, 12:33 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

I still have the Weltmeister 200# springs on my car, they do lower by about 1.25" or so. i am looking for a set of springs in that springrate that is stock height, so if you find something let me know.
Spence, I had a look at the option$ available at Rose Passion. While there were three different rates to choose from, they are all described as being 'short'. Is your set-up strictly for street use?
Old 02-19-2024, 01:22 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by curtisr
Thank you one and all. On the subject of what is allowed and what isn't, it's frustrating. Some rules allow a complete change over to adjustable coil overs and others do not. My head swims with the effort to make a decision on one or another. While one might think it shouldn't that difficult to decide on a race series but a move from Eastern Ontario to Northwestern Ontario means I really only have access to Brainerd IR. Travelling elsewhere is probably not an option.

Now that I'm armed with where to look, what to look for and a desire not to have too much understeer I look forward to getting back into the garage this Spring. Or earlier thanks to El Nino (sp).
Unless you plan on racing with PCA at Mosport, most local organizations like Varac or Tremblant , even the groups out West , couldn’t care less what suspension you have on your car , their only concern is safety equipment so whatever you install on your car will not matter …

For what it’s worth , i have MCS two way adjustable coil overs on my SP2 car and nobody ever mentioned anything.
People are running Leda’s,Moton,Koni, you can basically use what you can afford …

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by wildcat077; 02-19-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curtisr
Spence, I had a look at the option$ available at Rose Passion. While there were three different rates to choose from, they are all described as being 'short'. Is your set-up strictly for street use?
yes, Street only.

18 years ago I put the springs on to lower the front. Then I put the coil spacers on 10 years ago to bring it back to stock height but keep the spring rate, because I also put bigger torsion bars in the back.

i don’t mind stock ride height but the stock springs are way too soft.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:49 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

yes, Street only. i don’t mind stock ride height but the stock springs are way too soft.
It's my understanding that the stock springiness on, say a 924s is 80#. !!!
Old 02-20-2024, 10:51 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

How I miss Vintage racing! Worse, I miss Shannonville -- I lived 20 minutes away.

It looks like I will be expected to use SCCA rules for what I'm finding at Brainerd. So, the dude abides.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:09 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

You looking at running with SCCA and/or PCA at Brainerd? NASA hasn't run there in several years.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:21 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
You looking at running with SCCA and/or PCA at Brainerd? NASA hasn't run there in several years.
I can say with certainty that...I'm not sure. My car is currently set-up for Vintage racing in Canada -- stock front suspension (for the most part). My experience suggests that this will not be accepted in SCCA racing as-is. I had entered an event at Watkins Glen only to be called two nights before the event to determine if I had a fuel cell. Given that the answer was 'no', it was a no-go. If I prep for SCCA then the sky is the limit -- I can use any shock set-up when entering EP and Regional Racing seems to be my best bang for the buck with the Land O' Lakes club. Regardless, Rome wasn't built in a day and I will be happy with a change of springs and corresponding torsion bars for starters. Still, all ideas for sprint racing are more than welcome!
Old 02-21-2024, 01:56 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not sure what rules in either SCCA or PCA would not allow you to run stock suspension (assuming it is in good serviceable condition). But you would not be competitive in class with other race prepped cars with stock suspension. The rules are generally regarding safety equipment and limiting modifications based on class. Cage, seats, belts, fire suppression, etc. I don't know about fuels cells being required in all SCCA classes, I know they are not required in PCA.

I think SCCA runs two events at BIR (on the short course) and PCA has 2 DE events and 1 Club Race event (on the long track) per year.

You're a bit of a drive to Road America, but definitely more event/clubs run there than BIR.

curtisr (02-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Front coil spring info