Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak at bottom of hatch glass, not a delamination thread…

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 03:22 AM
dkraven
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water leak at bottom of hatch glass, not a delamination thread…

Water going in where this rubber sealant is crusty and pulling away and then coming out inside where my finger is pointing. Should I goop over it with something? Pull it out and then put some goop in? What’s the best strategy?
Old 03-08-2024, 02:20 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Following this as I have the same problem with mine. I also have a problem with my front windshield seal which seems to be the leaks through the sealant goop and the rear hatch looks like it uses similar mounting strategy. User Zirconocene suggested a product called Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure which has good ratings on Amazon so I think I'll try that and then maybe some more traditional silicone sealant over it. I have a thread dealing with this problem in my car but it's only beginning now so no progress on curing the leak as yet.

Also, check your windshield as it's difficult to tell where all the water is coming from when you notice a wet passenger floor. Or driver's side too, I guess. Seems more common on passenger side though. It's surprising how much water can get in the car and down to the floor without any appearance around the windshield that's completely obvious. The sealant used by Porsche doesn't last forever so I suspect more folks will be noticing leaks in the coming years.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:31 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 137 Posts

Whatever you do, please don't use silicone! Urethane adhesive is what is needed. If you use silicone, nothing will ever be able to adhere in the future.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:43 PM
dkraven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Whatever you do, please don't use silicone! Urethane adhesive is what is needed. If you use silicone, nothing will ever be able to adhere in the future.
Thanks, I just recently learned this as I researched for this job. Wish that tidbit was more widely known as there was already silicone on the glass/spoiler interface that I've had a devil of a time removing, seems etched in.

Got the Captain Tolleys and that's what I'm going to do first, then maybe a small amount of window weld as a caulk. I know it's not intended as a caulk, but this is the place where it would be used as an adhesive so will try it out.

Need to be able to drive in the rain!
Old 03-12-2024, 02:55 AM
dkraven
Intermediate

Here's what I did today. Cut out the old crusty urethane where it was already pulling away. Found just the corner of the rear window that I could pry up a bit so I focused on that. Put down some 3M primer on the metal exposed and then squirted 3M window urethane underneath the glass and filled the gap between glass and frame. Clamped it down and letting it dry. Hopefully this does the trick!

Quick Reply: Water leak at bottom of hatch glass, not a delamination thread…