Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed and Ref Sensor Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 10:55 PM
l_juraschek
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Speed and Ref Sensor Removal Help

Hello all. I am performing the much dreaded speed and reference sensor replacement on my newly acquired 1983 base model 944. The car is currently in a no start condition (cranks but doesn't start) and all signs point to bad speed and reference sensors. So like everyone else I naively thought this would be an easy job... boy was I wrong. After about 3 hours and lots of pacing back and forth I only managed to break the head of the sensor clean off after trying to rotate it to break it loose, leaving only the shaft of the sensor in the hole. I tried everything to get mine out, it is incredible how jammed in there they are. I am at a loss for what to do here. My next idea would be to just try to remove the bracket entirely and get the sensors out from there. Is it possible for me to just remove the two screws holding on the bracket and pull it up and out? I really don't want to have to take the engine apart to get to these sensors as its not necessary.. but I am also willing to do that if there is no other way to get to them. I just want my baby to run.

Last edited by l_juraschek; 03-12-2024 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 03-13-2024, 11:29 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 478 Posts

You can get some ideas from the 928 board if you search there. It's a common problem with those cars, as well, and people have some pretty detailed writeups on what they've done to remove the CPS. I don't think you'll have to pull the engine.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2024, 12:16 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
You can get some ideas from the 928 board if you search there. It's a common problem with those cars, as well, and people have some pretty detailed writeups on what they've done to remove the CPS. I don't think you'll have to pull the engine.

Good luck
Check Clark's Garage for procedure
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 07:35 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

There have been 4,034 threads on this subject. Please do a search.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:01 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by l_juraschek
Hello all. I am performing the much dreaded speed and reference sensor replacement on my newly acquired 1983 base model 944. The car is currently in a no start condition (cranks but doesn't start) and all signs point to bad speed and reference sensors. So like everyone else I naively thought this would be an easy job... boy was I wrong. After about 3 hours and lots of pacing back and forth I only managed to break the head of the sensor clean off after trying to rotate it to break it loose, leaving only the shaft of the sensor in the hole. I tried everything to get mine out, it is incredible how jammed in there they are. I am at a loss for what to do here. My next idea would be to just try to remove the bracket entirely and get the sensors out from there. Is it possible for me to just remove the two screws holding on the bracket and pull it up and out? I really don't want to have to take the engine apart to get to these sensors as its not necessary.. but I am also willing to do that if there is no other way to get to them. I just want my baby to run.
Ultimately I drilled holes in the firewall to get access to the Allan keyed bolts holding the bracket in place. I did this as one of the bolt heads was rounded out. In my case I'm in the process of converting the car into one that will be tracked so, this may not help.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:34 PM
DHS928
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Go to eBay and look at Porsche 944 sensor bracket you can get a look at the bracket as removed from the car. To remove the whole bracket you can try using two long extensions with Allen head sockets and try to remove the bracket. One bolt is a pivot bolt and the other is slotted so you can adjust the sensors. Try to get a lot of PB Blaster in there
Old 03-14-2024, 06:24 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, do a search on all 944 boards. I have a 944 turbo and had already removed the intake manifold, alternator and turbo when I was doing the oil pan gasket. While I was in there I replaced both sensors which were jammed. I ultimately removed the sensor bracket, hammered the sensors out of the bracket from the underside after using PB blaster, cleaned the bracket and sensor sleeves and reinstalled. There was no way I could get enough leverage on the sensors without removing the bracket. And there was certainly not enough room to remove the bracket without removing at least the intake manifold. Tight quarters.

I posted my experience on the 944 turbo board, maybe that will be of help to you. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:33 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 268 Posts

The bracket can't lift up because of the dowel sleeve at the pivot bolt and it can't move rearward with the sensor in place because the sensor is through the window in the bellhousing. Once the sensor top is broken off and the engine is in the car, the options for removal are limited. With the bellhousing loosened and pulled back slightly, the sensor bracket comes rearward enough to be removed or save yourself some time and split the bracket with a chisel at the dowel sleeve.
l_juraschek (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 06:36 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by DHS928
Try to get a lot of PB Blaster in there
Just don't get any on the clutch friction surfaces
Old 03-14-2024, 07:18 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Reference sensors

To get mine out, I used a pair of about 12” ring nose pliers. After undoing the bolt, I was able to get the top of the sensor to break loose and turn with the pliers. Once that happened, they came right out with a bit of wiggling. Hope this helps some😀
Old 03-14-2024, 10:57 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I've posted this numerous times but here we go again. First PB Blaster, WD40 etc won't cut the crud that builds up on the sensors. Lacquer thinner or carb cleaner will dissolve the crud. Make this slide hammer tool out of vise grips, all thread, 1/2 pipe and a few nuts and washers. This tool will yank them right out. You might try running a screw down in the broken sensor to yank on.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:52 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts

Well, I can honestly say that of the many (!) posts on how to get these out, drilling through the firewall is a first for me.
l_juraschek (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 10:22 AM
l_juraschek
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Gage
The bracket can't lift up because of the dowel sleeve at the pivot bolt and it can't move rearward with the sensor in place because the sensor is through the window in the bellhousing. Once the sensor top is broken off and the engine is in the car, the options for removal are limited. With the bellhousing loosened and pulled back slightly, the sensor bracket comes rearward enough to be removed or save yourself some time and split the bracket with a chisel at the dowel sleeve.
Thank you this is exactly the information I was looking for. I wasn't sure why some people were saying they had to break the bracket and order a new one in order to get the sensors out but now I understand. I'm going to try and give it a couple more tries before resorting to this approach as the brackets aren't exactly cheap...
Old 03-15-2024, 10:26 AM
l_juraschek
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jhowell371
I've posted this numerous times but here we go again. First PB Blaster, WD40 etc won't cut the crud that builds up on the sensors. Lacquer thinner or carb cleaner will dissolve the crud. Make this slide hammer tool out of vise grips, all thread, 1/2 pipe and a few nuts and washers. This tool will yank them right out. You might try running a screw down in the broken sensor to yank on.
Yeah I apologize for bringing up this already very congested topic but I was seeking information on how to remove the actual bracket if there was no way to remove the sensors which I had not really found such a clear answer to just yet. I really dug myself into a nice big hole by ripping off the sensor head. I have constructed a similar tool and I'll give it a shot with some carb cleaner this weekend and attempt to drill a screw into the broken one. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by l_juraschek; 03-15-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:39 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ElRicardo
Well, I can honestly say that of the many (!) posts on how to get these out, drilling through the firewall is a first for me.
Desperate times called for desperate measures. And I think you're correct -- I never stumbled upon such a suggestion in my search for a solution. Maybe this confirms what my mother always said about me: 'Well, you are rather unique...'

Last edited by curtisr; 03-17-2024 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Speed and Ref Sensor Removal Help