Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch bleeding frustration

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 03:57 PM
944tger
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch bleeding frustration

Hi everyone.

I know there a quite a few threads about this topic already and I have read a lot of them but could not quite find the answer I am after.

bleeding the clutch seems to be quite the pain for most people and I am one of them. Most seem to have success using a pressure bleeder or a vacuum bleeder, which i have (one that attaches to the air compressor)

I hooked up me bleeder and pulled the trigger while simultaneously keeping the reservoir at 100% the whole time. I have run about 500ml or more through the system at this point and I am still getting a near constant stream of air bubbles in my bleeder line

I know that it is recommended to put the car at a forward angle and I get why, but shouldn’t that be a non issue as long as the reservoir is 100% full all the time? (I have my car on quick jacks at the moment with the front suspension off, so I can’t get it at an angle right now).

I only changed the line to the slave cylinder, both cylinders are unchanged and worked fine before hand.

where is this constant stream of new air coming from?!

thanks!
Old 03-17-2024, 04:15 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 238 Posts

The reason that you have to tip the 944 on its nose to bleed the clutch slave is that the slave is angled slightly down from front to rear, leaving the bleed screw lower than the highest point on the slave, trapping air in the slave that will always be at the highest point. If you jack up the rear of the car, the bleed screw becomes the highest point and the air can escape.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:44 PM
944tger
Advanced

Originally Posted by 931guru
https://youtu.be/wdf--suwqw0?si=HtjXq-9j7ssuIakS

The reason that you have to tip the 944 on its nose to bleed the clutch slave is that the slave is angled slightly down from front to rear, leaving the bleed screw lower than the highest point on the slave, trapping air in the slave that will always be at the highest point. If you jack up the rear of the car, the bleed screw becomes the highest point and the air can escape.
well then I had actually not understood the reason correctly. Thanks for clearing it up. I thought the reason was the position of the hose to the master cylinder on the reservoir.

i have watched that video and that’s what i tried first. The problem was, the oil can that I have, kept introducing new air into the line…
Old 03-17-2024, 05:40 PM
Steve Pratel
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did mine, I replaced the master and slave. Initially, I just let gravity work for an hour or so. When I connected the MOTIV pressure bleeder, I let the fluid just run into a container (clear tube on bleeder), and pumped the pedal several times while the fluid ran. Then while the pressure bleeder was still attached and pressurized, I closed the bleeder, pumped the pedal 10X or so, then reopened the bleeder just a hair, and repeated pumping the pedal. Went down below and saw the fluid flowing clear. Opened and closed the bleeder several times with pumping pedal between and did a final check by opening the bleeder and no bubbles.

A bit wasteful of fluid, but it worked flawlessly. I then went on to flush and bleed the entire brake system.

Last edited by Steve Pratel; 03-17-2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:21 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve always had good results with the Motive bleeder but I heard about a procedure where you connect tubing to your left caliper bleed screw and to the bleed screw to the slave cylinder and pump the brake pedal. Similar concept to the video “oil can” procedure but you get more consistent and larger volume being pushed through.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

in a non-turbo car I have successfully bled the slave up in the air above the car (above the master cylinder) with line connected etc, and fished it down past the bellhousing etc into place. tight but possible.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:24 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
in a non-turbo car I have successfully bled the slave up in the air above the car (above the master cylinder) with line connected etc, and fished it down past the bellhousing etc into place. tight but possible.
Very ingenious!!

Old 03-18-2024, 09:13 PM
IL8APEX
Rennlist Member

I, too, feel the pain of air in clutch lines.

Yes, that is my driveway. I am shameless.

-Tom
Old 03-19-2024, 10:21 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

If you get the clutch working but it still feels strange, just drive the car a bit and in my experience the air will find it's way out.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:11 PM
DHS928
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

This past summer I put in a new clutch, I got a Speed Bleeder for the slave cylinder and just pumped several times and mine firmed up. 87 924S, http://speedbleeder.com
Old 03-19-2024, 03:55 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IL8APEX

-Tom
You couldn’t pay me enough money to crawl under there to bleed the clutch…😬
Old 03-20-2024, 08:22 AM
Steve Pratel
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IL8APEX

-Tom
And Brave! But I see you have safety tape on the front wheels so I guess you are OK
Old 03-20-2024, 08:52 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 944tger
Hi everyone.

I know there a quite a few threads about this topic already and I have read a lot of them but could not quite find the answer I am after.

I am still getting a near constant stream of air bubbles in my bleeder line

where is this constant stream of new air coming from?!

thanks!
To respond to what I think was the original question, the air bubbles you are seeing in the fluid stream are likely from the threaded connection at the bleed nipple. Heavy grease can be applied to the threads to reduce the amount of air being drawn in.
The following users liked this post:
928FIXER (04-03-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 01:23 PM
944tger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gage
To respond to what I think was the original question, the air bubbles you are seeing in the fluid stream are likely from the threaded connection at the bleed nipple. Heavy grease can be applied to the threads to reduce the amount of air being drawn in.
interesting! Actually that was something I was suspecting.

thanks for all the other replies. Today I spend several back breaking hours under the car without any progress and I am starting to be really confused.

I put the car up in the back, although I can’t get it quite as high as in the picture posted here. I tried the vacuum bleeder again but still constant bubbles. Next I tried a new oil dispenser and did the reverse bleeding technique. Not matter how much I pup in from the bottom, nothing ever comes up on top. Neither air bubbles nor is the reservoir filling up…

after everything I disconnected the line at the slave cylinder and tried vacuum bleeding for there again, but can’t get a constant stream of liquid. It feels like very little fluid comes out at all.

I left it disconnected and tried a few paddle back and forth (it goes to the floor completely of course) but no fluid is really coming out of the line.

is something else wrong maybe??
Old 03-20-2024, 01:51 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Does the pedal come back up? Does the clutch work? If it works, go for a drive, up/down some hills, try to clutch while slowing down hard, etc.

Quick Reply: Clutch bleeding frustration