Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power cutting out during driving, help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 06:09 AM
idealcheese
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
As readers, it's hard to know if they were over-tightened. But I can say that if one belt comes off, it can take the other one with it! Over-tightened belts doesn't explain the issue you're describing, though. I would say loose belts are more likely to come off but you said you had yours within spec.
The belts were definitely not loose by any stretch of the imagination. This is why I can only surmise that they broke from being too tight. But what do I know? Very little.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:27 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by idealcheese
The belts were definitely not loose by any stretch of the imagination. This is why I can only surmise that they broke from being too tight. But what do I know? Very little.
DIf the rememants of the belts fall into the belly pan?
Old 04-20-2024, 01:27 PM
idealcheese
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
DIf the rememants of the belts fall into the belly pan?
my car came to me without a belly pan. The belts are gooooooooone
Old 04-20-2024, 11:18 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds to me like water has got into your DME when washing the car...either that or water has got into something that is causing an intermittent connection.
I think I wold be tempted to put a dehumidifier in the car to dry it out and if that doesn't improve things then I'd pull the DME and check it for water damage.
If the Alternator bearing is worn it will squeal . ........tightening the belt will only cause increased wear and if over tightened will probably cause it to fail altogether.
Its probably best to fit a reconditioned alternator with the new belts but make sure that the pulleys are in line
Old 04-21-2024, 09:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Losing the belts is often due to incorrectly tightening the jackscrews/struts that tension the belts. These struts can easily overpower the studs and attachment points, which break and then the loose belts drop off.

The key is to only undo and tighten the locknuts with the other stuff all tight. When those are loose you can loosen the pivot and eye nuts/bolts so the assemblies can move without tearing parts off the car.
-Joel.

Quick Reply: Power cutting out during driving, help