Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member! Carbon Fiber One (CF1)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 09:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by schnellfahrer
This is very, very, very, very important. We want a spoiler that bolts right on!!!!

PS! This is very important!

This should be easy if they get a 944 stock rear spoiler and compare the mounting studs on that to the S2/951/968 bridge spoiler. Just put the studs on the bridge spoiler in the stock 944 position.

As far as the trim pieces, mine are made from fiberglass on my replica bridge spoiler. Once painted with satin black paint, it is difficult to tell that they aren't the stock pieces. The same trim pieces should work for both the bridge spoiler and the 968TRS wing.

Which brings me to my next point. If the 968TRS wing can be made available as a complete kit with the trim pieces, and also as a "wing-only" kit for those of us who already have the trim pieces (hint:like me), that would be very nice.

I'd like to get the price on a TRS wing-only (preferably adjustable), and some functional brake ducts for the 951/S2 foglight recesses.

Another cool little piece that would sell would be a CF tray that replaces the flip-up center console/armrest. You know the one that the hinge always breaks on. I'd love to eliminate that piece and have just the tray, like the 951cup cars.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by *eurospeed951*
Intake manafold for the turbo like this one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=143222
It's already available from a company in Sweden.
But quite pricey, especially for you in the US now with the low dollar rate.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Tb311
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in the 968 wing and cf hood, and the cf intake manifold and widebody kit would be cool.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:55 PM
carbonfiberone
Track Day

Originally posted by schnellfahrer
This is very, very, very, very important. We want a spoiler that bolts right on!!!!

PS! This is very important!
very important?
got it. we'll pay very close attention to it!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:07 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

What he's getting at is that you can't just take a 968 wing and copy it exactly. The mounts for the 968 wing are different than the 944 spoiler, so you need to make sure that it'll actually mount to the 944 hatch.

BB.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:41 PM
stoked944
Racer

Originally posted by carbonfiberone
Thank you for all your suggestions and input!

We are in touch with a couple 944 enthusiasts here in LA and will be scheduling a meeting next week to study the car and see where we should start.

Ta address your concerns of cost and quality, we will be investing heavily in R&D to meet the standards of the cars. We are not looking to mass produce cheap parts. We adhere to the highest standards, especially when dealing with the high end market. Our prices will be very reasonable but you certainly won't see "ricer" prices on the parts we produce for this community!

Seeing as how a 968 Turbo wing seems to be one of the most popular items, if there are any members that has this wing and would like to volunteer it (local or not), please PM me. If it's damaged, needs repairs or needs to be repainted, we can take care of that for you. In order to complete this type of a project before the end of summer, it saves us a lot of time to have the piece from a member vs. waiting months for the actual factory piece.

We look forward to completing a few projects for you guys before this summer is over!

Now be careful when you say high end. Because just because we own porsches, doesn't mean we have lots of $$$$$.We like the "bang for the buck" here. Like someone said earlier anything above 500$ is not very popular unless its very functional. We do care about quality alot, but we don't own 996's here. 944 na owners do not want to buy a couple carbon fiber parts for a 1000 each, when they're cars sometimes only cost 2000 dollars. I know, i bought my NA for 2600. So just remember that just because this is a porsche board, doesn't mean we want to pay "high end" prices for minimal function. If anyone disagrees with this statement please say something.

BTW I would also be interested in a hood and 968 mirrors and wing.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Dave E
Pro

I tried to get a group buy together for a true vacuum bagged and autoclaved hood. It would have weighed around seven lbs. The mold would be 2000, and the hoods would be about 700 each after that. Making high quality carbon parts takes some money up front, and then when the mold costs are covered the parts aren't all that much. I was hoping for 20 people at 800 each to cover the molding costs but never got enough people. To get high quality parts, we have to be willing to pay a little more, we will never buy a carbon hood for what Honda people pay, but think about how much 30-40 lbs off the front of the car would do to improve handling.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:59 PM
carbonfiberone
Track Day

I'm sure we are all in agreement that by high end, there's usually a high end price tag that goes with it. For example, if you wanted a hood that was autoclaved like Dave E mentioned, it's going to be considerably more expensive than having a wet lay-up hood, which is what most of those japanese cars have on them. Because Porsche is a high performance vehicle, some of you may be willing to pay for an autoclaved high performance part, but for those of you who want to save a few hundred bucks because you don't care if a carbon hood is 7 lbs or 14 lbs, then we can offer you the wet lay-up hoods. We can make each part fit the price you guys are willing to pay.

We had a 944 Turbo come by the shop today for us to study and here's what we came up with...

1) we still do not have our hands on an adjustable wing, but once we find one, we were thinking about shaping it to "fade" into the stock rubber moulding that wraps up on both sides of the rear windshield. we were told that the rubber moulding is pretty tough to remove and getting a clean (used) rear windshield can cost $1,000+. so instead of making it a bigger investment all around, we can shape it so that it lines up w/ the existing rubber moulding so it's pretty much just plug-n-play. let me know your thoughts on this.

2) the hood piston mounting hardware on the underside of the hood may complicate things so we're going to investigate this some more and figure out the best way to work it into a carbon fiber hood if we decide to make one. if this problem can't be solved quickly or inexpensively, we may not go forward with the hood.

3) we saw the stock mirrors as well as the curved 968 mirrors and the simplest way for both the manufacturing side and the end user side would be to reshape the boxy mirror and add some curves to it so you could just swap out the mirror exterior instead of having to buy new hardware. we'd make it work with the stock base and with the same mounting points as the stock mirror.

4) we like the center intercooler cover between the lights. it mounts very easily and could easily be done in carbon and we can shape a couple vents in it if you like. we also like the head light covers and thought that if both headlight covers and the center intercooler cover was replaced with carbon, it would change the appearance quite a bit without having to spend too much money.

5) we noticed that the stock dash was cracked on the 944 today and were told that this is a common problem. we were also told that reupholstering it would be very costly and time consuming. we could fashion a carbon replacement for a lot less than what it would cost to reupholster it. we can flush out the passenger side air bag (for those of you who have it), flush out the glove compartment, whatever you like with this (the simpler the better)

6) we thought about doing something with the pop up sunroof. the only difficulty with making it out of carbon is ensuring that it is properly sealed. we are going to contact a company that manufactures replacement automotive glass to see what the best approach is.

7) lastly, the rear diffuser is definitely something we could work with and it would look great in carbon.

these are still just ideas at this point so any input and recommendations for or against would be much appreciated!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:14 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Again, replacements for the 944 Turbo foglights that would incorporate a brake cooling duct.

Center (b/t the seats carbon fiber cover for the center console lid that breaks on everyone's car

968 bridge spoiler (not the adjustable one) that fits right on a 944 hatch and molds into the original side rubber pieces
Old 07-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to put in a vote for the NA front Splitter....I've been wanting one for SOO long, bu they are impossible to find...we already had a feeler post last fall for a possible group buy on them at the time; it never went through, but there was OVERWHELMING response...it would be a wise product to manufacture, if done properly would GUARANTEE dozens of sales, as NA's are more common.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2) the hood piston mounting hardware on the underside of the hood may complicate things so we're going to investigate this some more and figure out the best way to work it into a carbon fiber hood if we decide to make one. if this problem can't be solved quickly or inexpensively, we may not go forward with the hood.

You need to look at a 924 turbo hood. The hood will have no shocks on it and to be honest I dont think you could find low enough pressure shocks for a CF hood anyhow. The hood is so much lighter it would probably break when it went flying up. I could live without the hood shocks and I am sure many others could too.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:00 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm still interested in an adjustable rear wing, but I want the ability of painting it and the accompanying surround to match the car. I don't know if keeping the existing rubber would look quite right, but maybe I'm alone there.

The mirror idea sounds good, but I'm having trouble picturing it. We would retain the rectangular mirror and replace the flag style housing with a new housing that uses the same mirror but is shaped more like the 968 style? Or would you be making a whole new unit that had the mirror glass in it already but mounted to the same base as the flags?

About the header and headlight panels: The NA and S2 and Turbo nose use slightly different headlight covers and header panels. You would either have to make both or make one and advertise that it wouldn't fit the other. I would also be interested in carbon replacements for the black pastic headlight lens surrounds. The 951 specific cover is difficult to find and would look uber cool in unpainted carbon. Should be easy to make too.

About the Hood - As Matt H said, a lot of us would be willing to ditch the shocks. My 951 currently uses a 924 turbo hood that doesn't have shocks. Call it 'weight savings." Would you still be able to make a hood with functional ducting?

I'd also like to see a carbon rear bumper eliminating the bumper pads.

Thanks again
Old 07-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm sure we are all in agreement that by high end, there's usually a high end price tag that goes with it. For example, if you wanted a hood that was autoclaved like Dave E mentioned, it's going to be considerably more expensive than having a wet lay-up hood, which is what most of those japanese cars have on them. Because Porsche is a high performance vehicle, some of you may be willing to pay for an autoclaved high performance part, but for those of you who want to save a few hundred bucks because you don't care if a carbon hood is 7 lbs or 14 lbs, then we can offer you the wet lay-up hoods. We can make each part fit the price you guys are willing to pay.

We had a 944 Turbo come by the shop today for us to study and here's what we came up with...

1) we still do not have our hands on an adjustable wing, but once we find one, we were thinking about shaping it to "fade" into the stock rubber moulding that wraps up on both sides of the rear windshield. we were told that the rubber moulding is pretty tough to remove and getting a clean (used) rear windshield can cost $1,000+. so instead of making it a bigger investment all around, we can shape it so that it lines up w/ the existing rubber moulding so it's pretty much just plug-n-play. let me know your thoughts on this.

3) we saw the stock mirrors as well as the curved 968 mirrors and the simplest way for both the manufacturing side and the end user side would be to reshape the boxy mirror and add some curves to it so you could just swap out the mirror exterior instead of having to buy new hardware. we'd make it work with the stock base and with the same mounting points as the stock mirror.

4) we like the center intercooler cover between the lights. it mounts very easily and could easily be done in carbon and we can shape a couple vents in it if you like. we also like the head light covers and thought that if both headlight covers and the center intercooler cover was replaced with carbon, it would change the appearance quite a bit without having to spend too much money.

5) we noticed that the stock dash was cracked on the 944 today and were told that this is a common problem. we were also told that reupholstering it would be very costly and time consuming. we could fashion a carbon replacement for a lot less than what it would cost to reupholster it. we can flush out the passenger side air bag (for those of you who have it), flush out the glove compartment, whatever you like with this (the simpler the better)

6) we thought about doing something with the pop up sunroof. the only difficulty with making it out of carbon is ensuring that it is properly sealed. we are going to contact a company that manufactures replacement automotive glass to see what the best approach is.

7) lastly, the rear diffuser is definitely something we could work with and it would look great in carbon.

these are still just ideas at this point so any input and recommendations for or against would be much appreciated!
so do you still want my car or not?
~Eyal
Old 07-08-2004, 02:07 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

968 mirrors and intake manifold would be sweet.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:47 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If reference my earlier post in this thread, I commmented on this a bit. To expand on this:

The stock rubber trim and wing on a 944 is very easy to remove, it should take about 10 minutes to take all of that off so that all you are left with is the hatch glass with the mounting holes. I highly suggest you get your hands on some real or replica 968 wing trim pieces (and a replica wing) and then copy them in fiberglass. If I was closer you could just borrow mine for a bit. I know that Scott Harrison (sh944 here on the BBS) has the complete replica wing and trim pieces, unmounted and un-painted. Maybe you should contact him to buy/borrow it to model your product after. It would then be "plu-n-play" and look correct, instead of cobbling something together with the existing trim pieces (which, IMHO, would look like *** because it gets too thick near the rear of the car).

Quick Reply: new member! Carbon Fiber One (CF1)