Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Job - Questions (job in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 08:22 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Job - Questions (job in progress)

Ok, so we have everything disconnected and ready to pull back the torque tube but we are running into a problem. Towards the back of the tube there are little stops almost that stick out and catch on the crossmember right by the torsion bars.

Here is a pic from the front side of things

View from the back

Any advice on this?

Sorry I haven't figured out how to get the photos to show through in the post yet. They are too big to upload through rennlist and ophoto is the best I got for now.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rotate by 180 degrees after you remove the shifter and exhaust hangers. This will give you barely enough to drop the clutch after removing all the pressure plate bolts and bell housing.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:36 PM
rihaa
Racer

OK, i have the driveshaft clear, but only by about an inch and a half. This is just enough to move the housing back a bit, but not enough to drop the housing out, which Is what I assume is supposed to happen. How far back is the torque tube and driveshaft supposed to come.

Those little wings are about half an inch to an inch from clearing the tranny mount portion on the crossmember. Do we need to somehow get this all the way back past that? If so how do you get the clearanceto do that, the torque tube housing at the rear is hitting the underside of the car and can't move any further back right now.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:47 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking back even when rotating the shaft there wasn't much room. But that's what works, if i remember correctly you can only get the tube back to the tranny cross member and that should give you enough room.

The other option is to lower the rear suspension to give you more room. I've never done this though i was very close when i was in your very position.

Good Luck!
Erich
Old 07-17-2004, 10:16 PM
rihaa
Racer

Ok, well i think we are going to stop work for the day, but here is what seems to be hanging us up.

This is how much clearence we have between the clutch housing and the driveshaft

Also, we seem to think that the shaft may have moved slightly in the torque tube while sliding it back. How far should it stick out past the end of the torque tube into the torque tube housing at the rear?

This angle might not be the greatest, but here is how far it is sticking out now.

Also if anyone happens to be in the Orange County area and wants to do a bit of car work and has done a clutch job on the 944 I would welcome some insight from others if they wanted to stop by.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:19 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

The torque tube will be resting against the spare tire well when its back far enough. to do this torque tube will be upside down. hooks will be on top. I had to turn mine 90 degrees with the torque tube near the engine and move it to the back as far as you can. then rotate it the other 90 degrees then it should move all the wayback. thing is you need to get the front and the back of the tube up. it is difficult with one person. with two one at the front and one at the back. you can lift the whole thing and get this done.. good luck.

edit, I could only get this done in one direction. I believe it was the CCW direction. but I may be wrong..
Old 07-17-2004, 10:53 PM
rihaa
Racer

Why do those hooks even exist? Just curious, but it seems like there is absolutely no reason why those even exist in the first place. When the tranny and engine/clutch are all installed there is no room for movement. This leads me to believe that porsche just really hates people who want to work on their cars and the engineers are just sitting there laughing at me as I try and wrestle with this stuff.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they are there for safety reasons. If the car were in a front end crash, as the engine and driveshaft are being pushed back, they will be stopped/slowed by catching the frame. This will prevent the engine from being completely shoved into the driver's lap. Just a thought...might not be true.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:02 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Mike - I believe you are correct, that is the only reason i have heard for having those things there. My father in law has an aluminum drive shaft and opted not to put those suckers on there...

I really don't remember being able to move the torque tube all the way back to the spare tire. That's a long ways! I am pretty sure you can't get the angle to pass the cross member where the tranny mounts up to. But again its been a couple years since i did this. I agree though with two people turning and pulling you should be able to get enough room.

Erich
Old 07-18-2004, 12:32 AM
rihaa
Racer

well I am on the right track, but I guess I will just have to play with it and see what extra i can get out of it. I've still got like 3+ inches to go to the crossmember, which is definately as far back as you can go.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:31 AM
K27
Burning Brakes

It should go all the way back thats why you need to remove the tranny mount crossmember.
push the torque tube up and rotate it to clear the torsion bar tube.
I did it on my own so you can too
Old 07-18-2004, 03:41 AM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree. I was able to get it all tha way back to the spare wheel well. Had to remove all the brackets and had to be very careful with fuel filter lines etc.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:18 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't need to move it any more than what you have it. Remove the bellhousing bolts after you unbolt all the pressure plate bolts and it should drop straight down. There is not much room in there and its the best you are going to get. In the later model cars, you can remove the transmission cross member and possibly move the torque tube back but its more work.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:06 PM
rihaa
Racer

Ok, so we got the central tube back far enough now, but we are hung up on something pulling off the clutch housing. We pulled out the 4 housing bolts (assuming there aren't more hidden, but could be wrong). What we think might be hanging us up is the rod that you are supposed to pull out with an 8mm bolt. It looks like it goes all the way up through the housing, we've got it out approx one inch. Is this what might be holding us up?

Any other guesses as to what might be keeping us from pulling the housing off?
Old 07-18-2004, 04:50 PM
rihaa
Racer

Ok, we got the shaft off, but something else still seems to be hanging us up. Up by the speed and reference sensors there are a few alan bolts that we aren't really sure what they connect to, but they don't appear to be attached to the clutch housing at all.

Is there anything else inside the clutch housing that should be holding us up at this point now that we got the shaft out?

Quick Reply: Clutch Job - Questions (job in progress)