Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed clunkers need not apply

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:19 AM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 speed clunkers need not apply

Well I spent a couple of hours doing some preventative maintainence today, new plugs, oil change and rotor and cap, rebuilt the dizzy and changed the timing curve slightly, best £35 I've spent as the car is flying again, the fuel in Canada had played havoc with my plugs. So now I have power again the Auto box is playing up, from 60mph if you nail it the transmission taked about 2 seconds to drop down and it feels like the clutch is slipping. Also sometimes on pull away it feels the same and other times it hooks up nicely, with the engine making somewhere near the old 250 bhp it seems to be amplifing the problem, it will still spin the tyres in second if you manually shift down from 3rd, and pulling away is hit and miss. I have another car that I can swap the box's over and I also have a later box that I brought from a converted car ages ago but the oil lines are different. So I'm wondering if the later model box is any stronger, what happens to the torque convertor if anything as I don't want to change ti to find out theres a problem with the convertor. Also sometimes it takes a while to auto shift out of first, even if I try to do it manually, never if it's left inside the garage, after less than a mile it's fine, this has happened ever since I overheated the box (Rebuilt and changed the oil and filters X2) and added some lucas stuff that has certainly helped the shifting but I think the box is beyond helping. Any comments welcome as long as you know what your talking about. Selling it and buying a turdo is not an option
It seems no-one is really familiar with these auto box's, I can rebuild the 5 speed blindfolded but autos compleately have me head scratching. The car in question is an 83, the other box I think was an 87-89 but unsure, it certainly was an N/A with early type bumpers (in the UK).

Last edited by adie; 08-11-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Shawn944
Intermediate

Auto trans is a model 87n. which is an Audi unit. A 5000 and a 100 have the same trans. My auto trans works nice and smooth. I would check the adjustment on the kickdown cable coming from the throttle. The newer trans uses an electronic pickup to run the speedometer. I do not know if there is any other differences.I personally like to keep the converter with whatever trans it came from. The converter may be the whole problem. The converter may also have contaminated fluid in it from when the trans went bad and that will contaminate the other trans if you swap them around. As far as I know there is no difference in strength from year to year.

shawn
87na auto
Old 08-11-2004, 02:25 AM
adie
Pro

Convertor for the later box was left in the UK (by mistake) so I have the one thats in the caar now. It seeps like the pump takes ages to build pressure causing lock up, if the oil has become very thin then it may be the reason, definatly worse if I park it nose high on the drive (about 35 degree slant) it's like there's no oil in the box, but the oil would be thicker being cold so any ideas on the pump?

Quick Reply: 5 speed clunkers need not apply