Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed tranny install prob...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:42 PM
Jared944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed tranny install prob...

Hey guys,

Im in the mittle of installing a 6 speed 968 tranny in my early 944. I mounted the transmission, hooked up the CV's, and the shift linkage on the transmission. I connected the linkage to the shift stick mounted off of the torque tube.
Now when I put the car in gear, I have a lot of lateral slop the linkage. It just doesent feel right at all. Everything appears to be connected correctly. Is there another "lateral support" on the top of the torque tuber I am not aware of? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jared
Old 08-14-2004, 12:56 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

no extra lateral control except the trany itself.. inside the trany on a 5 speed there are detents that keep you from crossing gears if I remember correctly. they are ovoid in shape. not sure if these were wore if it would cause more slop, been a few years since I was in there..I would assume that there is on more slot to move over thus more movement.. might just be normal.. as long as the shifter mech on the trany is tight I would just think its ok..does the shifter on a 968 have the same throw?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:22 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you connect the speedo?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:45 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

Early cars get the speedo signal from the front tire don't they? It's later 944's that need the signal from the trans, which is not there in the 968, which uses an ABS sensor for a speed signal.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Jared944
Racer

Yes, from what I understand the speedo will still work, since it is connected to the front left tire. I think there is somthing wrong with the shift linkage... The shifting doesent feel right at all. I cant get a good "feel" for how the gears are supposed to work (ex - if I throw it into first, it can slop to the left and right quite a bit). Im pritty sure Im doing somthing wrong :P
Old 08-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like one of these:
a) Shifter mount to the top of the torque tube is loose
b) Linkage attachment to the shift rod coming out of the transmission is loose (less likely if the fore and aft throw is okay)
c) You popped the rod off the ball studs on the transmission and linkage that keeps side to side throw tight. If the transmission is already up in the car you can feel/see this from the driver side. There is a little safety clip on each socket which keeps them from coming off once installed, but you have to put them in.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:00 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There is one other thing to look at. Is your shifter worn out? That causes a lot of slop if it gets very bad..........
Old 08-14-2004, 12:49 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

hey tifo....is there already a thread here somewhere about your headlight conversion?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Jared944
Racer

Hey guys, I figured it out. The problem was that on an early 944 tranny, there is only one hole on the shift bar to shift linkage. You screw in one bolt that had a rounded tip, and safety wire the bolt head. On the 6 speed, the hole goes all the way through the shift linkage end (and is threaded). So I just fixed it by inserting a longer bolt.

The mechanism feels much better now, however the shifter mount hits up agenst the chassis when shifting into 5th and 6th (On the way right side). I should have figured that I would run out of room, since there is another gear to contend with. There is plenty of room on the left hand side. Im going to have to figure out how to move the whole shift series to the left somehow. Any suggestions?

Jared
Old 08-15-2004, 01:30 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jared, there is adjustment in the linkage, I wish I had a pic, but dont. The shaft on the trans that you connect the long linkage bar to running all the way to the front, well, that short rod at the trans had an oval loop to adjust the whole linkage rod side to side. If you follow the linkage back, it's the foot that sticks up and has like a 17mm bolt that goes through the connecting bar that runs to the right side of the trans. Good luck
Old 08-15-2004, 06:04 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I hear the 1990-95 Nissan 300ZX has a fixed ellipsoidal lighting array almost perfectly compatible with the 944, save a few mods. PIAA makes the twin pencil-beam projector lamps for the z-car, and they are prized by all z purists. Expensive new. There will be an all-out turf-parts war, if we find the z-lamps can make our Teutonic bahn-burners look even better than the Nissan OEM! So, who wants to try it on first?
Old 08-15-2004, 06:21 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared944
Hey guys, I figured it out. The problem was that on an early 944 tranny, there is only one hole on the shift bar to shift linkage. You screw in one bolt that had a rounded tip, and safety wire the bolt head. On the 6 speed, the hole goes all the way through the shift linkage end (and is threaded). So I just fixed it by inserting a longer bolt.

The mechanism feels much better now, however the shifter mount hits up agenst the chassis when shifting into 5th and 6th (On the way right side). I should have figured that I would run out of room, since there is another gear to contend with. There is plenty of room on the left hand side. Im going to have to figure out how to move the whole shift series to the left somehow. Any suggestions?

Jared
Jared,

Do you mean that the shaft that the shift *** is on is striking the right side of the opening when over in 5th/6th? If so, you can move it over to the left a little more by modifying the two holes on the "hat" that houses the nylon insert that the holds the ball on the bottom of the shifter. If you elongate them a bit to the right, so that the hat can move left in the way that it is bolted down, it will buy you a little more space.

I hope that makes sense......

Jeremy
Old 08-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PIAA lights are junk, crap, garbage.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:53 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to hear more about how the car drives with the new tranny...mmm 6spd!

Tifo - Is there a thread about that headlight work?

Thanks!
-Erich
Old 08-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

middle, not mittle.

Quick Reply: 6 speed tranny install prob...