Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think the tranny ate itself....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:10 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy I think the tranny ate itself....

I think the transmission on my 944 ate itself this morning. I was half-expecting for this to happen because I got a 968 engine mated to an older/weaker tranny -- but not within two weeks of my other car going out of commission! (other mishap)

Anyways, I'm going to tow the car home and start ripping at the tranny, but I want to get some opinions: just to make sure it's the tranny and not some other part of the drivetrain (like the clutch or the torque tube). This happened while I was downshifting coming off the freeway. I got extremely violent shaking when the transmission in gear -- at first I thought I had a flat tire or something but turned out to be not the case. I went a little ways to diagnose what's wrong, but basically extreme shaking in gear - no shaking when coasting with the clutch pressed in. Well, almost no shaking -- I can hear some clicking noise that seems to be depends on the wheel speed. I'm thinking the tranny, but can it possibly be the clutch instead or something else?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:35 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda sounds like a CV joint, usually a tranny will make a gear whine or just break. I'd be looking at the CV joints first, see if the shaft wil slide freely side to side with no binding. Or possibly jack it up and see if it spins freely. Did it break, like no go in any gear, or just making hella noise?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:53 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Hey -- great suggestion! I hope so. I repacked an old CV joint just last year. But wouldn't the CV joint continue to cause vibrations with the clutch disengaged?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

not necessarily, because there is no load. if hes in gear and coasting you have the load from the compression of the engine. Ive never heard of a CV joint causing violent shaking though. Talk to 944T4ME, he had a torque tube failure in his 86 951.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the CV's first, as that is easiest. Then, if they aren't the issue, pull them, then pull the access cover on the trans and look inside for shrapnel.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:25 PM
josephsc
Race Car

I just towed the car back home and had a little more diagnotic/play time. I doubt it's the CV joints. Currently, it's very hard to get into any gear, and all I get on 1st or reverse is grinding noise from the rear. I'll know better once get underneath the car...

This was to be expected, but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon! 5000miles on a 968 engine, in case anyone's going this route.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:35 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Don't feel bad. Autocrossing on a stock n/a trans with a mildly worked n/a motor grenaded mine in about that many miles the last time. My car is on it's 4th trans and it only has around 82K on it. The stock n/a trans pinion gear cannot handle dynamic loads.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:09 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Well, I only had time before it got dark to drain the tranny to find it full of metal shavings (and I replaced fluid only 5K miles ago...). Not a good sign. There's also alot of "slop" across the wheels, I can turn one wheel a few degrees before the other wheel starts turning -- I don't remember seeing this slop before...
Old 08-28-2004, 12:58 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that slop's there in my cars too, i thnk that's normal. sounds like your diff is ok. i hope its your clutch and not your tranny...
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

slop yes, not too much tho, metal in the gear oil, no, not good at all!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:10 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't matter - to change the clutch pretty much requires removing the trans. anyway just it would be more expensive. In his case though (with a 3L engine) he might be well off just swapping the trans. out anyway. If I were in his situation and the clutch started to go, I'd just swap it then. Why do that job twice?
Old 08-28-2004, 03:21 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasted my n/a tranny with only a throttle cam and k&n installed! Those things are junk.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by josephsc
This happened while I was downshifting coming off the freeway. I got extremely violent shaking when the transmission in gear <snip>. I went a little ways to diagnose what's wrong, but basically extreme shaking in gear - no shaking when coasting with the clutch pressed in. Well, almost no shaking
My guess is the clutch has gone bad. What kind of clutch is on this car? Original rubber centered disc? Spring centered replacement? When my rubber centered went started to go bad, it had violent shaking in gear. This is another reason why it's a good idea to take the racers' advice (e.g. Z-Man) and only use the brakes to slow down the car.

I'm really sorry. Hoping for the best and that everything works out!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:35 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by josephsc
Well, I only had time before it got dark to drain the tranny to find it full of metal shavings (and I replaced fluid only 5K miles ago...). Not a good sign. There's also alot of "slop" across the wheels, I can turn one wheel a few degrees before the other wheel starts turning -- I don't remember seeing this slop before...
I'm gonna lay $20 down on the table betting that it is the ring and pinion gears. Time to pull the side cover on the passenger side and inspect. It will probably look like this:

Old 08-29-2004, 12:05 PM
josephsc
Race Car

I'm putting my money on that too. One other sign was that when the tranny went, I smelled something nasty (kinda like methane/natural gas smell) in the rear of the car. Got the same smell when I drained the tranny oil.

Last night, just dropped the right axle, removed the flange shaft (held with an allen hex bolt), and undid the 9 bolts on the cover. It should come off now, right? The cover seems stuck on there -- can I start prying / banging / beating / bashing / pounding / hammering / smashing on the darn thing?

Quick Reply: I think the tranny ate itself....