Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got another 944 price question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:13 PM
prophesized
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got another 944 price question

went and looked at a 944 today. here is a link to the ad for it http://www.autoworldftmyers.com/inventory/1280

i know its an 83 auto but 944's with that low of a mileage arent very common around here. the body looked good and the interior wasnt too bad from what i could tell. i emailed them a few days ago and they said the timing belt and waterpump were changed 2000 miles ago. they also said they have a good amount of records for it. what is that one part of the transmission that is important to change? i think its called a flex something. it also had a bag sitting in the trunk area, did the 944's every come with porsche luggage? it has hard to see it because the windows are tinted.

the doors were locked and the two salesmen working that day were busy with people so i didnt stay long. i think i will go drive it this weekend if the hurricane doesnt hit us too bad.

i only have about 6k to spend so should i offer that or try to go lower?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Predator
Pro

Head back to the dealer after Francis has left. It might be alot cheaper! Seriously, $8900 is pretty high asking price for an '83. Its white (bad, IMHO), its an automatic (again, bad). I'd think the car should be in the $3000 range, if not less. Then again, anything is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it! Good luck.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$8900 is way to high for that car, even with the mileage. In general, being an automatice hurts the price of these cars.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

It lists "Tilt/telescopic" (I assume) on the list of options. Was this available on these cars? Especially an 83?

The wheels are wrong. Are there thick spacers to compensate for the offset difference?

The price is way high, as mentioned above. Even if everything checked out good, I wouldn't consider offering anything more than $5000. They ought to take $500 off for the crappy pinstripe "work", too.

Sorry to pee in your corn flakes - but that car is not worth anywhere near what they are asking. But, what else would you expect from a used car lot?

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 09-03-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

PINSTRIPES????? That's a big minus 50% right there. Who knows what other acts of 'caring' the previous owner might have performed. ;-)

But seriously, for $8900, you could by a 928 S4 (auto if you need one) or a 951. Why an '83 944 auto?

BTW, I bought my 951 w/47K miles for $9300 back in 1999.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:22 AM
prophesized
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Sorry to pee in your corn flakes - but that car is not worth anywhere near what they are asking.

you arent at all, i was hoping to hear it is worth much less.

why an auto?

well of course i would prefer a 5 speed but every car for sale online is either in miami, tampa, or orlando...all at least 2 hours away. so finding one in great shape with low miles that is actually in my price range will not be happening very often.

i am not sure if there are spacers. how bad is it if it doesnt have them?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars go up for sale in spurts. You might see none for a couple months at a stretch and then see 10 within a 50 mile radius. You never know. Don't be afraid of driving a while to get a good car and the local used lot is almost always a bad choice. There's one near me with a 84na automatic for $4800, the car looks like a total dogbed inside, has a very poor respray, several body panels severely misaligned, and that's just for starters. I stopped in to see if the car could be had cheaply, but he wouldn't go under $4200. He asked what I thought the car was worth and I told him $400. I thought he was going to slug me on the spot. The problem is that these guys get these cars at auction and don't know the market. Be patient and keep looking, there are good cars out there.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by prophesized
you arent at all, i was hoping to hear it is worth much less.

i am not sure if there are spacers. how bad is it if it doesnt have them?
Based on the photo - it must have some sort of spacers in order for those wheels to even fit on that car. The offset is significantly different. If thosee wheels were mounted directly on the original hubs/rotors the tires would rub against the front struts (that's if you could even get the wheels to bolt on at all). I don't know what would happen at the rear, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Imagine shifting the whole wheel and tire assembly inboard by 1 to 1.5 inches all the way around. Not only would it look silly - but it would contribute to premature bearing and suspension wear, effect the handling and possibly even the safety of the vehicle.

Keep looking. Don't waste your time on the one you just looked at...

Quick Reply: got another 944 price question