Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Porsche that's not a Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nasty hood, yikes.

16K is too much for a) the car b) a seller with ZERO feedback

No more word from me on conversion, to each their own.

Doug - you need bigger wheels
Old 10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have removed the "gratuitous," i.e. unwarranted avatar and sig pics

Originally Posted by JediAgent
I was moreorless joking with you.
Its hard to consider a guy with 5 Porsches, and gratuitous pictures of them, not boastful when he takes time to hijack a thread with a pageful of info on each one of his 5 wonderful cars...
JediAgent,

I have removed the "gratuitous," i.e. unwarranted avatar and sig pics; should I remove the rest of my signature, too? I just don't want to be seen as a person who rubs anything in another person's face. That which is my genuine Porsche passion and desire to share it can too easily be interpreted by others as boastfulness and haugtiness, and I guess I have been naive to think that most would see it as the former and not the latter.

But you make me want to go buy a guards red 968 and park it next to the 944 for gratuitous pictures.
I fully recommend that you go and buy a 968 as soon as you are able, for they are outstanding cars.

As far as gratuitous pictures goes, until you began throwing that term around with me so freely, I was under the impression that posting pictures of your cars and new acquisitions was something welcomed by the Rennlist community. After all, I thought, it is about sharing your Porsche enthusiasm and experiences with others. Apparently, my thinking was flawed and the idea that posting pictures was a good thing was illusory. However, it sure seems that others post "gratuitous" pictures of their cars and purchases quite often.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

WHAT'D YOU DO THAT FOR?

Maybe you misunderstand. I LIKE the pictures of your car, and will no longer tolerate you NOT having them present. I think i have the wrong idea of the word gratuitous. Yes it means unwarranted, but i meant it in a good way. Like gratuitous nudity makes a good film better.

Put the pictures back, im not getting my FIX!

EDIT
and you cut out the section that set the mood in my post, which was "But then i thought about how i would feel if i had 5 944/951/968's when someone asked me a question about them... yummy" ... and i thought that got the point across that i would enjoy your cars as much as you do were they mine.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:14 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

This ensuing discussion requires that I post this again, sorry:

Old 10-05-2004, 04:18 PM
JediAgent
Racer

GREAT!
I've lost NeedPorscheSpeed's pictures, and gotten Tifo's comic relief in return.
What did i do to deserve this?!?!?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

I hijacked the thread!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt H
Nasty hood, yikes.

Doug - you need bigger wheels
Naaahhhh... I like the 16's. I bought them specifically instead of 17's. What I do need is a pair of 55mm offset wheels for the rear. The 52's are too shallow (see pic).

Doug
Old 10-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

So why an LT1? Why put the bastard child V8 of the Chevy world into the bastard child of the Porsche world?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug, use a very small set of spacers. They can be had for almost nothing and you dont need a lot of space. Maybe a 5mm to make them even closer to the fender lip.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:00 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

WHAT'D YOU DO THAT FOR? Maybe you misunderstand.
I think I did misunderstand, Greg. Intent and tone are so often lost on Internet forums, due to the our almost sole reliance upon the written word to communicate. (I say almost sole reliance because smilies, frowns, etc. do help to convey our tone and intent.) In face-to-face communication, mere words often comprise only a small percentage of the message being transmitted.

However, when I read this: "Its hard to consider a guy with 5 Porsches, and gratuitous pictures of them, not boastful when he takes time to hijack a thread with a pageful of info on each one of his 5 wonderful cars..." considering the context that you were "more or less" joking, "gratuitous" seemed to have a derogatory meaning, "takes time to hijack a thread" seemed accusatory, and "his 5 wonderful cars" seemed sarcastic. I am glad to know that I misinterpreted your post and that you did not intent it to be derogatory, accusatory, or sarcastic.

I LIKE the pictures of your car... Put the pictures back, im not getting my FIX!
Thanks. I'm not sure I'm going to put the pictures back up, though. Your post really has caused me to think about how others perceived that signature pic of my cars. Although I saw it as an expression of my Porsche passion, I'm afraid that many others may have seen it as "in-your-face," "look-at-what-I-have" haughtiness. That truly is not the kind of person I am, and I don't want to be perceived as such. (Of course, I'm sure that if someone who owns a GT2, GT3, 959, or Carrera GT were to see the picture of the fleet, they wouldn't see it as haughtiness, but as Porsche poverty. They would probably just laugh and be totally unimpressed. )

@Ethan:

Thanks for your kind PM. I'm glad you enjoyed my post and ruminations about my cars. In retrospect, I probably should have PM'd the post to you, instead of taking up so much thread real estate.

Back on topic, I checked the eBay auction, and the V8 Porsche, unsurprisingly, did not receive any bids. The owner, not taking a hint, relisted the car for.... you guessed it, $16,000!!! We can definitely say that he is an optimist!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:16 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Originally Posted by NeedPorscheSpeed
Thanks. I'm not sure I'm going to put the pictures back up, though. Your post really has caused me to think about how others perceived that signature pic of my cars. Although I saw it as an expression of my Porsche passion, I'm afraid that many others may have seen it as "in-your-face," "look-at-what-I-have" haughtiness. That truly is not the kind of person I am, and I don't want to be perceived as such.
Now i feel bad, darn you.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:26 PM
prophesized
Instructor

so you guys dont think the lotus elise is a real lotus?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prophesized
so you guys dont think the lotus elise is a real lotus?
Lotus has been using other manufacturers' engines since day one. They have built far more cars with Ford, Renault, and Rover engines than with their own. They have never produced a transmission.

Lotus cars are bastards from the start; pretty much everything mechanical and electric on a Lotus comes from other cars or are off-the-shelf aftermarket parts.

Keep in mind that the 944s engine was engineered specifically and only for the 944. (as is with the 928 V8) How often does that happen with production cars? The engine is part of the 944's whole design; it is a part of what makes a 944 what it is.

Lotus cars are marvels of engineering in their own right, but fall far short in terms of development and integrity when compared to a Porsche.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:45 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Now i feel bad, darn you.
Don't feel bad, not for a moment!

Also, do you really think I should bring them back?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:04 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Yes, I do.
Particularly your avatar. That is the easiest pictoral representation of who is posting.
The only gripe i could possibly see anyone having is that your signature is a little large, but you could easily fit the picture in if there were less text. And a picture is worth a thousand words.

BTW, i can understand what your sister said about the Porsche flag being flown, as it does say different things to different people. Here it just happens that we come together because we are more homogenous in our porsche related opinions - and i dont think that opinion that most share here is against any form of garage picture posting.

Also, ill be PM'ing you soon, but i want to start some healthy discussion with 968 owners. Im seriously considering the jump, and want to know what to expect.

Quick Reply: A Porsche that's not a Porsche...