Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non- Porsche motor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:09 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Non- Porsche motor question

Hey,

I'm looking at picking up a winter beater and I'm talkin to this guy...and this is what he is telling me..but it doenst make sense

Markota Mike: i also wnated your mechanic to fix it cause you said he can do it for $150 or sometihnG?
IceBurgX500: yeah
IceBurgX500: all you'd have to do is buy a new head gasket and the bolts for it
IceBurgX500: and that's not much at all
Markota Mike: yeah
Markota Mike: ~30$ for afelpro headgasket
Markota Mike: and ~$100 for hte head studs
IceBurgX500: and with the head studs n stuff that car will run 12's all day long
IceBurgX500: and if you wanna turn up the boost it can handle it you'd be runnin mid to high 11s probably
Markota Mike: so did the car have all these mods done with a tired engine?
Markota Mike: thats why the piston rings are gone?
IceBurgX500: yeah pretty much
Markota Mike: why does the head have to come off for the rings to be done..?
Markota Mike: cant they just pull out the pan, crank, etc?
IceBurgX500: they could but it's alot cheaper and easier to pull them out the top end
IceBurgX500: unbolt them from the crank then pull them out the top of the block
Markota Mike: how do ya pull em out the top ? dont you have to take off the pistons from the crank?
IceBurgX500: yeah you drop the oil pan, unbolt the rods from the crank then push the pistons and rods out the top end
Markota Mike: ah, im just not famaliar with these 4g63 motors
Markota Mike: nbut while your there why couldnt you just pull em out the bottom./
Markota Mike: ?
IceBurgX500: they would get caught up on the crank
Markota Mike: ohhhh
Markota Mike: forgot
Markota Mike: is the crank complicated to take off or somethin?
IceBurgX500: you'd have probably another 6 hours of work to drop the crank

Now, for some reason..I don't think the crank is that complicated to take out..but ya never know...does this make sense to anyone?

Its a 91 Talon TSI AWD (Eclipse GSX basically)

thanks
mike
Old 12-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes sense to me actually. If it had some serious mods done on a tired engine, and it swallowed the rings (or just wore them out?...) I would say there is much more serious damage hiding in there.
Removing the crank is a pain, since you have to have the engine out, as it bolts to the flywheel.
So, most of the time, the rods are unbolted from the crank, then pulled from the top.

However, he didn't mention you'd need a new oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, etc. Not to mention the rings =)
Just curious, but buying a car that can run 11's/12's for a winter beater?.... Scary.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:07 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I asked if there was more damage and he said no, it was very unlikely. The reason he wants to replace the rings is that it burns a whole LOT of oll

"The car runs good other then it goes through a bit of oil. The pistons should be replaced asap but it's not necessary. I would take 2200 without the parts car." Thats what he said

I asked

"Whoops, had 1 more question I woulda forgot. Is there a chance of any cylinder wall damage from the piston rings being messed up?

Thkns
Mike"

he replied

"I very highly doubt it.

-Marc"

About a car that runs 11/12s... I know..scary...but I dont like passing up good deals..theres another all stock TSI AWD in my town for more..and its more beatup, so I'm gonna check this one out (I'm a lil worried on this one, I'm going to speak to his mech. and see if they can promise no other damage to the engine..)

thnks!
Mike
Old 12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, to pull the crank youd have to remove the trans, and getting the stuff off the front of those motors is a biatch!
Old 12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Another winter beater sighting!!! Nice Mike- hopefully it'll get more than 6 miles like mine did!!
Old 12-05-2004, 10:38 PM
marky522
Drifting

Hey Mike, it could be rings but it also could be valve seats, they are both pretty common from what i remember, I know on the 2wd cars I had the trans out in about 2 hours soif you wanted to pull the whole motor to do that work it shouldnt take much longer.

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 10:40 PM
marky522
Drifting

Oh, dont forget to check the timing belt, number one cause of death with these cars, a easy way around it if it needs it is to call the dealer and see if they have been done under recall yet, I got lucky and had mine done on a car i bought that needed them, I actually got the guy to come down like $500 for it and got it fixed for free!!!!

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 10:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, dropping the crank would be a pain. When i did my headgasket, i thought about dropping the pan and unbolting the rods and taking the pistons out the top to replace the rings, but i decided against it, so at least that part is on the up and up.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he's right the AWD tranny's are a lot of work to get out it's easier to just open the pan and then push it out the top like he's saying.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:35 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Sure sounds like you could do better for a car you don't want to break down and freeze to death in. Sounds more like a winter project than a winter beater.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:37 PM
James86-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he is running high boost, burning oil and needs rings. That's a huge red flag. He may have damaged the top of the pistons by running lean. This will produce high internal engine pressures and lead to burning oil. He might have just popped a head gasket. (That can lead to a new head though.) You will need to look at the car. I worked for Eagle in the early 90'a as a service writer. One of the mechanics called thses cars Hirohito's revenge.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

Did the rings break, or are they just worn? If they broke, there's probably wall damage, not to mention all that junk getting into the oil galleries, pump and pan.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
jaycm
Instructor

hey mike, i owned a 1991 mitsubishi eclipse 2wd for about 6yrs. i really enjoyed the car. when i got it. it was headed for the junk yard. the timing belt broke and yes there were many bent valves. i took the engine out of the car. which is what i strongly suggest. if you are going through the trouble of a rebuild, i would not skip anything.
the bearings were also bad on the silent shaft. it will be very important to replace these. when i got the car it had 117,000 miles on it. i did all the work myself and used it for my daily driver for the duration of my ownership.
i replaced it this past summer with a z3 bimmer. i gave it to a local young man on the high school football team. i don't remember seeing a happier person. it currently has a little over 190,000 miles on it. it burns some oil, but brian is all smiles every time i see him.
you can either take both engine and trans. out as a unit or take the trans. out first. you can get a repair manual "haynes" from the local parts house. it is pretty in depth. it also tells you how to read the fault codes and translate them.
if you have any questions let me know.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know about the celicas but I don't think its even possible to remove the pistons from the pan on the 944s... something about the piston hitting the 1/2 inch of protruding block in the way on either side of the cylinder bottom.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:10 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Face it, if you're asking questions this basic about how to remove a piston from an engine, you probably shouldn't be considering doing the job yourself.

Leave something like this to someone who can afford to have it done right.

gb

Quick Reply: Non- Porsche motor question