Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ive done it again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 12:40 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahah, speaking of sub roadworthy cars, I had to swerve around a guy last week that lost a balljoint in front of me. Driving through a shower of sparks brought back some not so fond memories of my first 944 backwards into a wall on the highway.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My back tires are below the "worn out" markers, and I've had some scary situations in wet conditions, but they told me i have to be more cautious in those situations. Basically they made me a more safe driver. I just want to say that I'm sure some of you guys have wheel bearings that could be replaced, or a ball joint that may be making some noise and you drove a ways before you fixed it because of time or money issues. I drove for a few weeks on a blown headgasket, because I had to, knowing (and cringing every mile) that it was bad for teh car, and could possible cause problems on the roadway. If you don't replace your ball joint and it busts and your car goes out of control and kills someone, it's just as much your fault as it is Rock's, and I'm sure he'll be there to bug you about your ball joint, except you'll probably just say it wasn't your fault, but a design flaw.

Rock, good luck fixing that bumper up, and learn from what happened (I know yuo don't need to hear it i'm sure you know). Basically the only way alot of us learn are from our previous actions, and frankly, it's over and noone died or was hurt. You really think he's going to go do this again? For what he's gone through with his car, don't you think even instinct would keep him from taking a turn like that the same way again? It'll be in the back of his mind, believe me, everytime i've almost lost it comes to my head when doing something dumb.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, you're a god.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
everytime i've almost lost it comes to my head when doing something dumb.
Go Devon, it's your birthday...
Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dales944
Andy, you're a god.

not so much, but I did almost meet him on more than a few occaisions.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:52 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doing something dumb....

Not my fault...

Ok, so I tried to tell the cop that I was doing 130 because he was chasing me and that I spun in the corner because it was snowing, entirely not my fault.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Weather here in OH has been tricky lately - have you been here Mr. NY? The other day it was upper 50's, today it go up to 30F!!! At least Rock has a "plan" for new tires.
I can only assume you're talking to me here. Yes, I, "Mr. NY", happen to know what the weather is like in Ohio lately, considering I live about 35 miles from the border.

You know, judging by the quality of most technical discussion here I guess I would have expected more out of the members of this board. Apparently, though, my expectations were unwarrented. Clearly I'm quickly losing this popularity contest.

Let me try and brake this down to it's most simple form: Just because many people have done dumb crap does not mean it's ok.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:04 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

I think Rock got jumped on so much because this is hardly his first bonehead move.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:05 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I never said doing something stupid was ok, but it's kinda expected of younger people, it's a learning process. You'll also find that most only learn from their own mistakes, not bitching, harping, bashing or thother's mistakes. I'm waay guilty of the above, along with a ton of others I know and I'd bet alot of you guys too.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Epic2112
I ...happen to know what the weather is like in Ohio lately, considering I live about 35 miles from the border. Just because many people have done dumb crap does not mean it's ok.
You're not on the SW OH border. OH is a big state, and things are much different here than what you have experienced lately.

As far as "Dumb crap" goes, I cannot agree with you more. But, you have to try harder to define dumb crap. Going to school in a t-shirt in a car with bald tires doesn't usually mean you drive home in snow. Slip happens.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andy, I've really got no qualms with anything you've said. Yes, everyone does dumb crap. The issue becomes recognizing it as dumb crap.

A few weeks ago I was backing out of a ridiculously small parking lot, and backed up into a guardrail that was in my blind spot. I was pissed at myself for not being more careful, even though the guardrail was in basically the stupidest place and there's really no way I could have seen it. I can tell you one thing that no one on this board saw however:

No one saw me make a post that said "Guys, I backed up into a guardrail today and totally knocked it over, all the way to the ground. And after I pulled away I was able to pull the bumper out and you can't even see any damage!"
Old 12-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're not on the SW OH border. OH is a big state, and things are much different here than what you have experienced lately.

As far as "Dumb crap" goes, I cannot agree with you more. But, you have to try harder to define dumb crap. Going to school in a t-shirt in a car with bald tires doesn't usually mean you drive home in snow. Slip happens.

Dude, look up the weather reports for the past few days. Pittsburgh is having the exact same weather that SW Ohio is having right now.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

And for the record, driving with tires that are as bald as those is dumb crap. I don't care what the weather is like.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Epic2112
And for the record, driving with tires that are as bald as those is dumb crap. I don't care what the weather is like.
Uh, dude, who hit a guardrail???

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
Old 12-14-2004, 01:32 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i think the sign is pretty funny and it'll make a great trophy, but i'm really glad it wasn't a person

i just want to point out a bit of hypocracy about the way some people can react to situations. if someone ever talks about streetracing, even if basically noone is around, they are immediately condemned for it. however, driving around on bald tires in cold and icy weather is several orders of magnitude more unsafe and people laugh it off.

as far as being poor and not being able to afford tires, well i think that's really too bad. far as i'm concerned, there should never be a point where you don't have enough money in the bank to buy tires, as they're really not that expensive. if you can't maintain a bank balance of at least $500, how on earth do you manage to own a porsche?

Quick Reply: Ive done it again!