Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Door handle failure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilredpo
Here's a good article on taking 944 door handles apart. Not hard, just tricky. You'll find some good references on this borad as well.

Good luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...68_handles.htm
I guess that's OK for a Pelican site. Round this neck of the woods I prefer the home made brew...

(See procedure in sig)
Old 02-24-2005, 07:04 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In order to lube the door handle properly, you should remove it from the door.

Once you have it out of the door, lubricate the pivot for the trigger, and the point at which the trigger contacts the release lever, and any points where you see motion when you pull the trigger.

I would never recommend lubricating the lock cylinder with anything except lock cylinder powdered graphite, which you can buy at any locksmith.

gb
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mike,

Three weeks ago my reversing lever (the actual name) broke one of the ears off of the horseshoe shaped piece at the top. I had a new spare that I installed from outside the door, tricky (I tied string to parts to keep them from falling into the door), but a little patience goes a long way!!

Backed the car out of the garage to run some errands yesterday, picked up some last items in the house, and PRESTO outer handle failed. I still have some tension on the release so it's my first project Friday.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had luck with taking the handle mounting screw out of the back of the door and pointing a red spray lube nozzle through the hole (and the hole in the handle too) and spraying around a bit. Seems to get the moving parts of the handle lubricated well. Just make sure you have the window up when you do this or you may grease it up too.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
lilredpo
Pro

Originally Posted by icat
I guess that's OK for a Pelican site. Round this neck of the woods I prefer the home made brew...

(See procedure in sig)

NICE!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

do you guys think i have something broken or just needing lube? since i can still open the door, but it is very hard to push the lever in...
Old 02-25-2005, 04:09 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Default Adjusting plastic ****

A lot of the times the handle breaks because the tolerance is not adjusted properly on the lever that releases the latch. This makes you pull harder, and generally strain the handle more than if the little plastic tip was adjusted for the proper run out. I have seen this time and time again. Also make sure you lube your seals and the door stop. Porsche makes some of the most solid doors out there, just minor problems from left-over vw/audi parts
Old 02-25-2005, 06:48 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
do you guys think i have something broken or just needing lube? since i can still open the door, but it is very hard to push the lever in...

My problem was I had to put more pressure on one of the door levers, causing it to go much further under the handle on one side than the other.

Picked up another door handle. It seems the pot metal lever/arm on the inside of the physical door handle was ever so slightly bent.

Maybe I could have replaced the arm, but the whole handle was pretty cheap.

Good luck!
Ray
Old 02-25-2005, 09:45 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

so what is adjustable? to adjust the pressure or grab point of the latch or whatever.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Gerald Allgire
Instructor

I replaced the inside part last year with the new replacement and lubed everything up with a hi-tack synthetic lube. Then just last week the outside handle broke in half. I could tell it had been cracked for awhile after it broke. I found a brand new handle complete with keys and lock cylinder on e-bay for $51. I replaced it just last night. I never realized how worn out my old handle was in comparison to the new one. Anyway it works great now.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:58 AM
lilredpo
Pro

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
so what is adjustable? to adjust the pressure or grab point of the latch or whatever.
I don't think there are any adjustemnts outside of the rods. I had to replace the whole handle. Also, the lock cylinders are easy to swap,
Old 02-26-2005, 03:00 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

At the end of the rod the plastic that the latch snaps into. You can "screw" it up or down to adjust the "throw" of the lever action.

Black Plastic at bottom
Old 02-26-2005, 10:32 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

so is the cad plated arm at the top of the rod the one that is breaking for yo guys? i will have to pull my door panels off today to check things out.

Quick Reply: 944 Door handle failure?