Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M44/41 head rebuild, need your help (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:54 PM
arise
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old plugs removed

I do not think my engine runs too lean - check out my old plug. Besides, exhaust gases are greasy.
I am going to replace all valve guides and valve guide seals - I think the oil gets excessively to cylinders.
Thank you for FPR pressure reading - I will check it soon. Or, maybe, just read a part number if it is stamped on it
Does anyone have an explanation of two units (FPR _and_ pressure damper) function on this car? I understand the functioning of FPR, and on my BMW E30 I have one, it copes fine alone...

Belts anti-slapping: I am a little bit confused with the lower roller. It has an eccentric adjustment. Should it be set to 0.5mm clearance to the belt? If that, why the upper is set firm (no adjustment)?

And as of my crank pulley... could it be taken from 928 also? Maybe those have another V-belt running. I don't think it's a double-PS pulley It' bigger than normal.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow. You have some serious oil burning issues there. Bets on scored cylinder walls. Been there, done that.... Had to go to first over pistons and bores. Then I spun a bearing because the person putting the engine together didn't do a good job. Now I'm just taking that engine out and putting in a reliable 2.5l turbo (slightly modified).

Good luck!

Dal.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed on the oil burning issue from the looks of your plug. Its either valve seal/guides or piston/rings. Does the car put out blue smoke? You may want to consider twice before putting work on the peripheral of the motor before the internal.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:00 AM
arise
7th Gear

Default Chain Tensioner

Guys,

I did check the chain tensioner.

May thick-and-thin friend Mike_Solo (Freedom Cars Site) helped me (and carried out, to be honest) the procedure of compression test and cam cover removal.

Compression runs 170-190 psi over the three first and a little lower (160 psi) for the 4th cylinder.

Then we did remove the cam cover (bolted with partly-normal, partly-junk bolts).

What did we see?
The head was rather clean, but there was a reason - I think it had survived the tensioner failureand was removed to clean and restore. Now it lacks the part of the support for the tensioner body.

Do you think it is possible to weld a chunk of AL to hold it with 2 bolts, as needed?
The pad has a Porsche number, costs $16 at our Exist Parts Shop. Anybody tried it instead of aftermarket piece?

Is there a complete list of ALL the belts an rollers to change on 944 S2? I am also advised to change the "paper" gaskets of the balance shafts, what are their part numbers?

Does the engine block have a coolant drain plug? I've heard only of radiator drain plug. Sounds strange...

Yuri
Attached Images      
Old 04-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yuri - The part number of the "paper" gaskets is 944.105.321.00

The head obviously suffered from tensioner failure. You can of course try to repair it if you know someone who can weld aluminium.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:23 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

it's a little hard to see exactly how the head was damaged, but in any case i had mine repaired by an aluminum welder. it's holding up now about 7000 miles later.

the top pad looks in pretty good shape, but if you're in there, why not replace it anyway?

Quick Reply: M44/41 head rebuild, need your help (pics)