Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn doesn't work....

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:02 AM
dan_c
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn doesn't work....

Hello again...another post for today...

i pulled my steering wheel off tonight to hunt down an annoying scraping sound...the copper flat spring which contacts the ring on the wheel had a burr on it which I smoothed with my dremel...I rebent it to make a solid contact with the wheel ring....should work right...of course not...

the horn is not sounding...yes i hooked the battery back up....tried to jump the connections from the copper flat spring to the inner ground...nothing..

Fuse is good...

So....is it the relay ? and do i have the right piece of metal for the ground..?

TIA
Old 04-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a small brown wire that grounds the steering rack to the cross member. That has to be in place for the horns to work.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:13 AM
dan_c
Advanced

any pics of this...I am not exp. with cars (yet)...and not so easy for me to distinguish wires from wires...but i need to get under there to see if i can spot the power steering pump senor and figure out if it is connected or not...

thanks though...I'll try to look it up
Old 04-28-2005, 01:45 AM
dan_c
Advanced

shouldn't the horn work if I jump the wire from which hangs with dis-connected horn pad to a good ground...? i tried the door latch retaing thing on the frame ..did nothing...do the relays for the horn go bad....?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:57 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Hmm just a stupid idea will the horn work if you turn the steering wheel a bit? If so then your shaft has enough play in it that it doesn't ground itself. Also did you just check if the horns themselves are working?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:57 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The horns do rust- I replaced mine 3 years go with good used ones. They are located under the drivers side front valence. Have you checked your grounds recently?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 AM
dan_c
Advanced

hey

I am learningtonight about grounds....i am about to go and check the cross memeber ground...it looks like it might be right next to the exhaust pipe flanges...in my haynes..not ready to put her up on jack stands since I hate doing that....it always feels kind of precarious read , i am not a mechanic....

rusted horns eh..? worth checking into...i don't think there is any play in the steering wheel..

thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 03:20 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure u put the horn pad on back right.. push it in as hard as possible.. dont be afraid it wont break (dont quote me on that).. jus give it one good push.. when i took my horn pad off and put it back on.. horn wouldnt sound.. i then pushed harder and then it snapped back..
Old 04-28-2005, 04:55 AM
951guy
Advanced

when i replaced my steering wheel with momo, my horns didnt work too ..i found out later that my front wheels needed to be as straight as possible (not turned right or left) when mounting the steering wheel back ...so check if your front wheels are straight and that your steering wheel is centered... this could be a simple solution...
Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 AM
lilredpo
Pro

I had the same problem.

Have you tried listening for the horn relay? With the hood and fuse box open, depress the horn pad. You should hear the relay click. If so, the horn button, ground at the steering column and power are working to the relay, then the problem is probably the wiring to, or the horns themselves.

Both horns, high and low tone, are located under the drivers side fender behind the spoiler. You can access by lifting the car slightly with a jack (don't need to take the wheels off the ground).

I disconnected the horns, one bolt each, two wires each, and tried them directly to the battery. My issue turned out to be the horns. Sourced a new set from EBay for $18.00.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:28 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Key on? Doesn't the key have to be on for the horns to work?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
dan_c
Advanced

Default I'm a Jack A$$

Originally Posted by slevy951
Key on? Doesn't the key have to be on for the horns to work?

hey folks..

well...I have learned a good lessonabout grounds...got under the car some more and feel more comfortable with it....and I solved my horn problem..

Engine must be running...

I had an image of the horn working in my head with the ignition off from an older vehicle....so i started her last night to run to the store and tried the horn in the garage....low and behold.....HONK...!!

TWO tones though....? not sure I have heard two different sounds...
Old 04-28-2005, 04:52 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, you have a high tone and a low tone horn.

If you find the horns :-), you can disconnect one at a time and hear the other one by itself.

gb
Old 04-28-2005, 05:08 PM
gsenn
Intermediate

Danc: I too had a problem with my horn not working. After checking all the items as suggested in earlier replies, I discovered my particular problem--no ground at the steering wheel. As it turned out the steering wheel column was grounded at the bottom, but up at the top is was not (I don't know why). I fixed my problem by inserting a coat hanger bent like a oil dipstick into the hole that runs down the end of the steering column. This grounded the top portion of the steering column and my horn has worked properly eversince. Check to see if you have a ground at the steering wheel--I bet that you don't. Good luck.

G Senn
1984 944 Guards Red
Sacramento, CA

Quick Reply: Horn doesn't work....