Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If anyone wants to be a moderator...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:37 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should offer to do it, it would justify my "has no life" post count... but hey, most of those where when i lived in North Dakota...
I think Matt H and Jeremy (Tifo) together is our best bet, however I doubt Tifo will accept the job. I think we need two, after seeing how thin stretched Pete was. I'd do the job if people wanted me too, but there are probably those that want it more then I.
~Eyal
Old 05-24-2005, 03:41 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

As much as I'd like to see Matt H.( been good to me and helped all of us), UD Pride (as the funniest 'to the point contributor($hit howdy he also has a 325iX), or Tifo who is back amongst us I thank him daily for my two manual sunroofs...My vote goes out to the one stupid enough to take on the thankless job of moderator.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In some ways I want it and in other ways I don't. On one hand it'd be nice to feel like I'm "giving something back" to this place and heaven knows I spend enough time here anyway, but OTOH do I really want to have to resolve all the little petty disputes and referee everything etc? Those aspects of the job make it less than appealing - kind of like doing police work. It's thankless and at times difficult. I guess I wouldn't say "no" but I don't know how long it'd remain fun. Either Matt or Tifo would be a decent choice too methinks. Pretty much any of the "regulars" that's been around here a while. Most are pretty level-headed people. We've all got our quirks, but I think in that role people have to assume a different personality and step back and act a lot more objectively and in a less opinionated manner than we tend to when we're just B.S.-ing as regular posters on here. This calls for someone a little older and more seasoned and most of the candidates mentioned seem to fit the bill nicely. Also the idea of having perhaps several people is a good one also. It would ensure more consistent coverage of the forum 24/7 with fewer gaps - most of us have schedules / lives outside of here!

Whoever it ends up being I just hope they are able to bring the wisdom and fairness of Pete and John D. to the forum and keep it the valuable place it is!

"If elected, I promise to ban everyone and start over!" Just kidding. I keep having that episode of the Simpson's stuck in my head for some reason where Groundskeeper Willie is running for mayor of Springfield and up on the stage saying "If elected mayor, I pledge to kill the whole lot o' you and burn yer town to cinders!" before being told by the stage hand "psst - your mike's on". Dunno why that came to mind here. . .
Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt would make a good mod.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tifo's got all the right credentials. He’s got the maturity, technical respect, personal respect, and general fairness and decency that I think makes him an outstanding candidate.

Now, if only he’d be willing to take on the job...

-Mark
Old 05-24-2005, 09:27 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks to all who mentioned me......

This list needs at least two moderators, IMHO. One wouldn't be enough.

I've been a moderator on two cycling forums and realize the amount of work involved and the headaches/hassles. I would be more than happy to help and give a little back to rennlist by helping John here, but there are two things I need to make clear:

1. I'll be fair, patient, impartial, and available to talk to.....................but I won't put up with spam, drama, crap, bullying, and non-members posting their for-sale ads here. Rules are rules and they should be enforced. If people don't want that, then I would be the wrong man for the job. The moderator for this board needs to be a straight-shooter (much like Pete).

2. I'd only do it if Matt H or Geo (or both) agreed to co-moderate with me. That way it would be balanced and fair, plus there would be coverage in case a moderator has to go out of town for vacation/work issues.

Take care,

Jeremy
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Tifo - LOVE the new avatar! I'll have to find a field and take a shot like that with they 928's.

Pete's ego must be getting stuck in the door jams right about now - 2-3 people needed to fill his shoes? :-)
Old 05-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman

This list needs at least two moderators, IMHO. One wouldn't be enough.

I've been a moderator on two cycling forums and realize the amount of work involved and the headaches/hassles. I would be more than happy to help and give a little back to rennlist by helping John here, but there are two things I need to make clear:

1. I'll be fair, patient, impartial, and available to talk to.....................but I won't put up with spam, drama, crap, bullying, and non-members posting their for-sale ads here. Rules are rules and they should be enforced. If people don't want that, then I would be the wrong man for the job. The moderator for this board needs to be a straight-shooter (much like Pete).

2. I'd only do it if Matt H or Geo (or both) agreed to co-moderate with me. That way it would be balanced and fair, plus there would be coverage in case a moderator has to go out of town for vacation/work issues.

Take care,

Jeremy
Well, I'd be willing. I share the same thoughts as you in #1. I also feel this board needs more than one moderator. Too much work for one person to get all us monkeys in the cage.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman

1. but I won't put up with spam, drama, crap, bullying, and non-members posting their for-sale ads here. Rules are rules and they should be enforced. If people don't want that, then I would be the wrong man for the job. The moderator for this board needs to be a straight-shooter (much like Pete).

2. I'd only do it if Matt H or Geo (or both) agreed to co-moderate with me.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:29 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

At times moderating here is pretty easy. It seems like a few people all go crazy at the same time and stir things up. The random spam incidents are happening a lot less often. I think John has worked a few deterrents in towards that.
Most of it entails responding to "Reported Posts". They always seem to pop up when you're busy doing something else.
The hardest part is knowing when to come down hard on someone and when not to. I have a lot of friends here and have overlooked some things that they have done because I know that it wasn't overt or intentional. It's hard when it's someone you don't know at all and their infraction may be just as innocent. You have to be able to step back and look at the bigger picture before you react.

John and the other mods are always available for help and advice. I'll help out any way I can too.

So, the top contenders are:
Matt H.
Tifo
Geo
Porsche-O-Phile

Any others who are serious?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:37 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Any others who are serious?
I'm willing to help.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm willing to help as well, as i said i'm not as good as canidate as the others, but i've done/do it so i know whats all entailed.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, I think 99.9% of people would agree that you did a great job. I imagine that patrolling this group is similar to kindergarten J/K
Old 05-24-2005, 01:47 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

or preschool..

petey.....i jes wend number doo...haahahhahahahehehhehehhshehehehahahha
Old 05-24-2005, 03:49 PM
icat
Race Car

In my opinion, there are some here who want the job who are not qualified. I have no issues with Matt, Tifo, or Geo. Being a moderator requires more than just wanting to be the town sheriff. It requires a commitment to the board, a thick skin, and most importantly it requires people skills. Post count - high or low - doesn't mean squat. Your opinion may vary - I'm just stating mine.

Quick Reply: If anyone wants to be a moderator...