Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here has had their windshield replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who here has had their windshield replaced?

Thanks to a stray rock, I may need mine replaced. 85.5 944. If you have had yours replaced, can you please help by answering the following?

1) Did you receive the original "Sekurit" with blue band at the top? (and integrated antenna)

2) Did they use the original mounting method? (I think that is urethane, not sure)

3) Is there black crud along the edge where the windshield meets the body inside the car? (If they used the original method, there should not be)

4) When you are driving on the freeway, if you stick your finger in where the windshield meets the A-pillar, you should feel minimal to no movement between the windshield and the body. Do you feel any movement?

5) How much did it cost?

6) Who replaced it?

If anyone can actually read through and answer all six of these questions, I would really appreciate it. No opinions, please. If you can't tell, I'm looking to do it right, not for the cheapest way out.

Thank you,

Tony Krncevic
Toledo, Ohio
Very nice white 944, and trying to keep it that way
Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cost me i think around $200. i got the early windshield instead of the late windshield and it fit fine. i didn't need the antenna built into the windshield since i have a separate antenna. yes there is that black stuff inside the car along the edges. no i did not get the sekurit glass. i believe i got ppg or something like that. binswanger glass replaced the glass for me and did a hell of a job. good luck!
Old 05-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK there is supposed to be some kind of gasket or bushing or something between the body and the glass - not just adhesive crap. It's an actual piece with a Porsche part #. I'm too lazy to check the PET right now, but I would recommend insisting that they use the correct piece and not just gunk the hell out of it. . .
Old 05-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff - agreed - and yes, that gasket/bushing thing is visible if you look where the windshield meets the pillar. And yes, I'm going for original quality, parts, fit, and finish. If I'm going to pay "Porsche" insurance premiums, I'm going to get my money's worth with "Porsche" level of work and parts.

Jake - thanks for the straight answers. Of course, I'm looking for pretty much the opposite of everything you got!

Anyone else? Anyone have the Sekurit with oem mounting, etc?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 05-27-2005, 12:21 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I had a generic tint-top glass put in the 83 for $217. They generally just remove the old seal because it's hard to not tear it when they remove the old glass. I was quoted over $600 if I wanted the Sekurit glass it wasn't worth it to me at the time.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:10 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I found a nice piece from a parts car. It had some VERY minor scuffs and marks, and was installed by a local glass company-that happens to be part of a Porsche repair shop. Installed, the windshield looks like it was original to the car-which is what I wanted.

I would go talk to a reputable glass company, tell them you are going to order/supply all the parts with the exception of the sealant. I wonder if the proper install procedure is in the 944 manuals?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 PM
lucifer_sam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony,

When I got my 89 S2 in December the windshield was in perfect condition but not more than a few weeks after I brought it back home "something" happened to the windshield (while the car was parked in my driveway) which looked suspiciously like a hit from a strong bb gun at extremely close range. I don't like to point fingers though. Anyway, my insurance paid to have the windshield replaced (and didn't raise my premium, either). It was done by Safelite Autoglass and I was more than happy with the results.

1) Yes, I was very specific about that. They ordered it through a local porsche dealership and it took a few days, so I'm guessing it had to fly over the pond?

2) I'm not sure about the mounting. I believe they ordered and installed a new one.

3) Nope.

4) Never tried, sorry - and I can't run my baby right now - no water pump

5) Not sure - I believe it was a couple hundred bucks. I have the receipt in my folder at home - i can scan it for you if you would like to see it.

6) Safelite Auto Glass in Waukesha, WI.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:01 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony, Safeguard did mine on the S2 for around $480. It was Sekurit glass with the antenna and I had no issues with the installation at all.

It's nice to see that you're treating the old girl right.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Did you receive the original "Sekurit" with blue band at the top? (and integrated antenna)

Nope, no antenna in the OEM windshield, and it's a US brand, but it has the blue tint at the top

2) Did they use the original mounting method? (I think that is urethane, not sure) I think so...

3) Is there black crud along the edge where the windshield meets the body inside the car? (If they used the original method, there should not be) VERY little...

4) When you are driving on the freeway, if you stick your finger in where the windshield meets the A-pillar, you should feel minimal to no movement between the windshield and the body. Do you feel any movement? none

5) How much did it cost? $178.00

6) Who replaced it? Elite Auto Glass
Old 05-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

personally, i don't see why there is a reason to use sekurit. if it's concours maybe, but why spend another 300-400 just on a windshield when the ~$200 method works perfectly?

i'm not one to skimp on maintenance or parts for the car, and i am in no way bashing you, but i don't see how putting the extra money into a windshield of all things helps.

oh yeah, like i said i have that black stuff, but very little of it on the inside and it isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it...
Old 05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

First time:
PO paid Safelite $377+$40 labor for original (antennae, blue tint, Sekurit) the day before I picked it up (she had 100% glass coverage - nice lady).

Second time (a little trouble with my hood shock replacement a couple of weeks after I got the car):
Housatonic Glass (local place recommended by Porsche shop) charged $496+$45 labor with a $20 urethane kit. Same glass.

Third time (rock on I-95):
Housatonic glass again. Actually, no record of the cost on this one ($100 deductable) but $50 in labor and a $20 urethane kit. Same glass.

All three perfectly clean on the inside. Never noticed any movement, but, of course, never felt for it.

Had this car almost two years.

Hope this helps. Oh - and now might be the time to do your hood shocks if they're wimpy.

'88 944S

Quick Reply: Who here has had their windshield replaced?