Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car was totaled today

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 05:58 PM
ZV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bearone
the cops aren't idiots.
they look at what they see when they get there and determine who was at fault.

i notice you haven't put up any kind of diagram of the intersection so we can see the lay of the land.
a picture/diagram is worth a 1000 words they say.

maybe you were at fault and glad you're both ok.

He posted pictures of the intersection and a bunch of pictures of the damage to his car. In computing we have a phrase, RTFM (Read The * Manual), in this case, I believe it's RTFT(hread).
Old 10-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

I went to court yesterday for the accident. I won...sort of!

Right before the trial was to begin...my attorney, the cops and the judge had a little chat. The judge decided that the lack of evidence from the cops compared to my own would be a waste of time for a jury trial. She threw the case out!

Woo Hoo!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:11 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good for you! what did you get from the ins. co. for your car? I also have an 86.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:41 AM
ike229
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tifosiman

Old 10-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Thank God and the Porsche engineers for your safety and that of your daughter! I have friends here in Cincy who have kids who did not fare as well in accidents. Their lives are forever changed in a blink of an eye. Hope you find out the truth about the accident.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you Clint! I hope your insurance company takes note and goes after the kid.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Do you think an airbag would have helped in this sort of crash? I know lots of people here do not like them and remove them, but I suspect this sort of crash is where they come in handy.

-Joel.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

That is great News. I would call you agent / insurance carrier and send them copies of all your paperwork with a letter addressing revocation of any points they may have assessed you as well as addressing the matter of your deductible and medical bills. If your personal insurance picked up the tab and or your car insurance was used to pay for you trip to the hospital I would make sure that the company that covered it is notified of the judges actions and let them peruse the matter with the other party. Bottom line get it in writing / put it in writing it is a CYA thing. The action of the judge could put a world of hurt (liability) on to the other driver and well it should.

Respectfully

Dean
Old 10-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't know... they cannot try you for the ticket but that does not mean the other driver is at fault. I think it means they cannot find either party at fault. It might just shift to each paying his own rather than he pays for both.

If you could now file charges against the other driver and win then you could probably get his insurance to pay for your 944, but I cannot imagine you could do that as there is not a lot of evidence.

-Joel.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Joel--if he got cited doing an improper left turn and a collision resulted, he is at fault--ask me how I know [I got ticketed for the same BS even though some woman tried to pass me on the wrong side of the road off my drivers side and T-boned me. I was 16, hence of course I had made an improper left turn and her passing on the wrong side of the road had nothing to do with it].
Old 10-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

To be honest with everyone, I don't feel lucky however, I do feel I have been proved innocent. I still have no memory of the accident and it seems that it will probably never come back. So, from day one I have looked at the accident with what I know about my driving style and the testimony of others. The car showed alot and it became evident to me that the whole truth was not being told.
-There was a witness to the accident but after my attorney talked to her she was unsure on whether I was moving or not.
-My car was stuck in first gear.
-My wheels were straight.
-The body work was collapsed over the wheels so they could not move. The tow truck driver said he couldn't turn the wheel so he dragged it up on the truck.
-My drivetrain was pushed back through the spare tire well
- My engine was..well...broken.There was literally nothing that could be salvaged. The intake was broken, the cam tower cracked. The radiator and headlight bar was pressed into the block. The oil pan was shattered. The bellhousing was broken. Firewall was pushed in and the list goes on and on.
- The other drivers truck also had front impact damage although most of it was from underneath where he went on top of my hood.
-The other driver was very hesitent to talk to my insurance co. and attorney. It literally took a month for my insurance company to finally talk to him. Then all he said was I pulled in front of him.

Bottom line the damage told a different story ...since I don't have my own account of what happened, I let the evidence speak for itself. I believe the other driver was speeding and did not follow the path of the road. He then came into my turning lane and thus punding my car to mincemeat! I think he was obviously scared since it was his fathers truck and claimed a different story. Since I couldn't recall anything...he was safe.

My own insurance company has been waiting on my court date since they also didn't think it was my fault. They have been persuing his insurance company the whole time. Besides...I told them I would cancel my policy if they charged me! Afterall, this is my first payout for an accident after 17 years of giving them the dough!

I am glad it's over and the attorney can take care of the rest. I have a another car...and my daughter and I are healthy!

Again, thank you everyone, some of you helped without knowing it!

~now...back to business!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad to hear your car once again saves another faithful driver. This car has a reputation for seat-of-your-pants driving.....in complete control and safety. Watch them tires!

Zach
Old 10-23-2005, 08:23 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
...and my daughter and I are healthy!

...~now...back to business!
that's all key. happy for ya.

Quick Reply: Car was totaled today