Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car was totaled today

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car was totaled today- update!

Hello Everyone,

I was apparently in an accident today. I don't remember anything about it, I woke up in the ambulance with my 4 y.o daughter beside me. First thing I heard was "Daddy! we're in an ambulance and the lights are on!" I'm OK but had to be filled in on the scoop by the paramedics and officers.

The cops said they were not sure exactly what happened but according to the other driver (16 y.o) I turned left in front of him. I told the cops I didn't remember anything and they kindly gave me a get well soon ticket for failure to yield. Well, glad that was a well thought out investigation!
My right ankle is sore, lacerations on my right knee, a couple of my fingers are now jumbo size and a nice goose egg on my forehead! Woo Hoo! After a few hours in the hospital and a battery of tests and catscans they gave me the OK except for a concussion.
My daughter on the other hand pretty much walked away with a small bruise from her harness. She was excited about the whole thing and entertained all of the nurses and doctors. Man, she is truly a blessing!

After I was released I went to look at the car. Now according to the other driver, I pulled out turning left and he hit me. My car is literally ripped and torn straight back towards the cab. It seems to be head on to me! Also, the speed limit on the road is 45MPH, yet the damage to my car seems overly severe.

1. Everything that was in front of the wheels is now even with wheels.
2.The front suspension is in pieces with both wheels bowed inward.
3. The oil pan has a about a 6 inch hole in it. Not sure the cause as I couldn't quite see under there.
4. The front header panel is now flat on top of the engine with the hood bent every way except straight.
5. The battery was compacted and apparently spilled over.
6. The gearshift is at an extreme angle and stuck so I assume the motor was pushed back pretty far. The tranny is now probably shot.
7. The dash is buckled and twisted and the ignition is sticking out?
8. Windshield is cracked and the roof is buckled.
9. The drivers door is crumpled and apparently was ripped open due to the nice creases. Damn, they could have at least taken care in getting me out! LOL

Now, that seems pretty extreme for a 45 MPH hit! When I can get the camera over there and get pics you'll see, it just WAY TOO much damage for the hit.

It sucks I don't remember which worries me as well as pisses me off because I want to know what happened. Hell, if I was in the wrong then fine, but I have a feeling I wasn't! When I have my daughter I drive like grampa because I worry about anything happening to her. 10 MPH under the limit, right lane and stop 10 feet in front of the stop sign. It's not like me to go yanking out in front of someone, especially with my daughter in the car! The doctors said I may remember in a couple days or it could be a couple years! That SUCKS!

In the end, I am eternally grateful for Porsche building such a strong car. My daughter walked away nearly scratch free and I am at least limping away!

So, on to the questions....

What should I be on the look out for with the insurance companies? Any tips? How much can I expect for an above average '86 N/A? How can I get more if they undervalue it. (Which I'm sure they will)

Also, I am wanting to buy the car back as there are alot of new parts that I would like back. That way I can at least have something for the next P-car!

Last but not least, anyone have a good deal on a P-car?

Last edited by Clint's 944; 10-19-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The important thing is everyone walked away from the crash. I am glad to see that you and your daughter came away from the accident without any serious problems.
Did you have the seatbelt on?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Do you have any interest in parting it out? See if they will sell it to you for next to nothing and then give the rest of us a deal on parts!

Truly sorry to hear that another one has gone to the great racetrack in the sky though...............
Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

OUCH! Sad to hear it, Glad you are OK and especially your girl. It would suck not being able to remember to give your version of the incident! I hope there were a few witnesses! From the sound of it, I can't imagine much major being salvageable. It is times like this when your really appreciate the design.

Heal up!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok. sucks ya lost the car, but you and your daughter are absolutely most important.

and you're right...sounds fishey to me... (not the fishey who was the first to respond)
Old 06-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys... I think my daughter made it bearable with her humor. She was just so excited about all of the attention I think! She was beside me the whole time and kept chatting away with everyone. Before she went to bed she asked if she could help fix my car so we could go to the park next weekend!

Fishey- I was wearing my seatbelt which is odd that I banged my head. I dunno, I wish I knew what happened!!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Funny thing though...I finally put my rennlist sticker on this morning!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Glad that the two of you made it OK given the severity of the accident as you described it. Reciepts, as many as you can get or have, the more you have the better your position you have for recovering your investment.

Once again, glad you are both OK.

Michael
Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars have a legendary saftey design. This adds to the legend. Whatever happens to the car, and whether or not that 16y.o. kid was to blame, you can be philosophical that the car did the job its designers intended. And you and your daughter are alive and not (permanently) injured as a result.

It's worth considering that if you had been in a lesser car, the result might have been horribly different. And no matter what you do, you can never completely eliminate the possibility of a random encounter with an air-head kid in a fast car.

-Mark
Old 06-22-2005, 01:49 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh, Does your daughter remember anything about the wreck? She might have some information that could help make yourself remember.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:05 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear you are ok and especially your daughter. I drive with my 9 year old daughter all the time and worry about safety. I have the opinion that the 944 is a strong car that survives very well in crashes. I hope I never have to find out. Good luck on the insurance.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:06 AM
MTM
Pro

It sounds like you're lucky to be alive and all in one piece. If it really was a head-on collision at 45 mph, that's like crashing into a wall at 90 mph!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Need to get pictures of his car and check the intersection out for skid marks before they are worn away. Also see if there were any witnesses or surveillance video cameras about.

The 83
Old 06-22-2005, 02:13 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definatly not a 45mph collison. Check my sig "The Aftermath" that was a 40+mph collison head on with a big tree.

Glad you are ok thou!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:43 AM
GOSANE
Banned

So sorry about your car :^( so very glad nobody got hurt :^) Your daughter sounds like a gem! Put and ad in the local paper and ask if anybody saw the accident. Sounds fishy to me. Thats a lot of damage for a 45mph accident. Call a few insurance adjusters and ask if they might might speculate on the damage and probable speed of cars involved. Some of the people in law inforcement are schooled in this type of investigative work also. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Car was totaled today