Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who have bleed clutch using Motive bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question for those who have bleed clutch using Motive bleeder

I find the UPS guy usually comes either at 3:30pm or 6:30pm whenever i am awaiting delivery. I was hoping he would come at 3:30pm today as i wanted to get my brakes and clutch bled before dark. Well as usual the guy comes at 6:30pm. I brought the front of the car on ramps and bled the brakes first starting from right rear...etc. I then started with the slave cylinder. I did not realize while bleeding it that the Motive Bleeder went empty with fluid, apparently i bled that right rear caliper a little to long!

Anyway, I was getting alot of air in the catch can line. I tested the clutch and noticed it felt like crap, would sink down with no effort to the halfway mark. I refilled the bleeder and rebled the slave again. When it seemed i was getting clean fluid and the air bubbles stopped i got back in and felt the clutch. Still felt like crap. I decided to take it for a quick ride around the block to see if it maybe needed a few uses to get back to normal. After about a mile of driving the clutch pedal is back to the normal feel (a bit lighter and smoother action). Im curious howver, is it normal for this to happen after bleeding the slave? I thought it would be like the brakes which imiediatley felt better. Is this a sign of still having air in the slave? Should i rebleed it until the pedal is solid after bleeding?

Im real happy i changed the fluid, beats me when it was last changed. It came out looking similar to iced tea. The stuff coming out of the slave cylinder looked like coca cola! Im happy with the results as the brakes dont feel like im stepping on a sponge anymore. The clutch is back to what it was like before, so i cant complain.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

My clutch did the same thing. I thought I was going to have to rebleed it (I reverse bled it). I took it for a spin and the pedal firmed right up. Works great!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done the same bleeding system and my clutch felt good right away, but it if feels good then I would suppose its ok.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I bled my brakes and clutch I had the same results. The pedal was noticably lighter and took a little use to feel like a normal pedal again. Never any problems since.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know i did it all right! Thanks for all of your input.

Im so happy i finally got this thing, beats calling over a friend and having him step on the pedal for me. I think i did the entire car in 45 minutes!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 AM
R.B.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i replaced my clutch master and slave cylinders, I bled them until no bubbles and the pedal was firm right from the beginning.

-R.B.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have bleed clutch using Motive bleeder