Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Ricer gets a 944 series...this time, it's PERSONAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mavfan
also the timing belt is something that i have not spent time on, you'd have to explain in more detail.
When the timing belt breaks you will spend over $500 in parts and several days taking the head off, getting the bent valves replaced and ground and putting the engine back together. A new timing belt is less than $40. Takes a few hours to replace it. Also replace the balance shaft belt too.

ok so i get a timing gun, (btw how much $ and where could i pick one up? does autozone carry it?) and i'm guessing that i have to take off the timing belt cover, unless could it shoot through the little air intake that it has feeding to the air filter box if i took off that hose? ok then i have its reading, and now i need to go to the brain of the car, correct? and there's a screw on it i need to turn? i've messed with my box before installing a chip, but i have no idea where this screw is that u speak of. and then i turn it, (how exactly does it effect the timbing belt anyways?) and then keep going back and testing with the gun untill its timing is correct? yeah i'm hopeless with this subject, thanks!
As noted you don't need a timing gun and you don't need to mess with the screw on the DME(brain). Unless the chip mfg wants you to.

Use www.clarks-gararge.com and www.frwilk.com as technical resources. Yes your 924S is really a 944 of the same year.

The 83
Old 08-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when useing nitrous on these cars at the 75shot level you need to retard the timing to decrease the chance of detonation. To do this without spending money is to use the screw adjustment on the DME.

P.S. So far no one that I am aware of makes a chip that reduces timing on these cars for use with nitrous. So if you know of a easier way to reduce timing please chime in.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:13 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STIG: "Ok the NOS does. This guy needs a seriously lesson in detonation of a 944 motor and destruction of the ring and pinion. We'll see how his money will be spent afterwards."

Modern wet nitrous systems are perfectly safe.

"For the record I vote we start an organization within Rennlist that authorizes us to reposses cars as a form of protective service from an ignorant and care free owner. Kinda like Child Protective Services. And we have another organization within that to organize the beatings of those PO's"

I'll handle the repos in the Philly area.
M21sniper, proprieter, Royal Scot Repossessions.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:29 PM
m21sniper
Banned

MavFan: "also one more question, why are u bashing me when there are others putting v8's and body kits on there's?"

Anyone putting a V-8 in a 944 simply lacks the sense to buy a 928 to begin with.

Don't let these crotchety ole' elitists dissuade you from doing what YOU want to do to YOUR car.

If it blows up it's YOUR problem, not theirs. Always remember, opinions are like asssholes, everyone has one....and almost all of them stink.

As far as the net nannies whining about street racing, the VAST majority of people on this board have engaged in 'spirited driving' on public roads MANY times themselves.

Porsches are great cars, but sadly, a lot of the owners are elitist asssholes.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:50 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Fishey: "when useing nitrous on these cars at the 75shot level you need to retard the timing to decrease the chance of detonation. To do this without spending money is to use the screw adjustment on the DME."

Not for a wet shot you don't. It maintains your AFR so you don't have to monkey with your ignition timing. Besides, nitrous MASSIVELY cools the FA mixture, making the engine far less prone to detonation.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

haha. if only that were true m1sniper. if you go over a certain limit, no matter how much you keep the air mixture at 14.7:1 or richer/leaner. it wont matter. the trick is keeping it cool, which you mention. and if nitrous can cool the cylinders enough, why not go 500 shot and just keep the AFR stable

i geuss on 75 shot you might be right though.
wouldnt it be cool if the afr was the only factor in detonation. mmm..100 psi boost on street motors on 83 octane with an AFR of 12.5:1. yummy. LOL!
Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"haha. if only that were true m1sniper. if you go over a certain limit, no matter how much you keep the air mixture at 14.7:1 or richer/leaner. it wont matter. the trick is keeping it cool, which you mention. and if nitrous can cool the cylinders enough, why not go 500 shot and just keep the AFR stable

i geuss on 75 shot you might be right though.
wouldnt it be cool if the afr was the only factor in detonation. mmm..100 psi boost on street motors on 83 octane with an AFR of 12.5:1. yummy. LOL!"

My friend, when a motor running a 250 shot blows it's not because of the AFR, it's because the power(pressure in the cylinders) exceeds the mechanical limits of the engine(or most usually, the head gasket).

I know a guy with an 89 Mustang 4 cyl running a 250 shot of nitrous. He runs the 1/4 mile in 12.5 secs. It will blow up eventually, but it will be because he's pushing the mechanical limit of the engine.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

well. yes. HOPEFULLY the headgasket does blow before anything else happens. you said that a 75 shot will only need to stay at a safe A/F ratio and it will be ok. and your probably right since ive never seen or have no experience with it. BUT. the more the shot. eventually the heat will be overwhelming and no matter how much fuel you pump in or how close you keep it to stoich is not going to help. thats when you retard the timing. If not the engine will detonate (from the HEAT) and take out a headgasket (hopefully) or blow something up.

Unless of course the shot can indefinatly keep the engine cool. which i doubt since you dont hear ppl putting in 500shots of nos and just keeping the AFR stable.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ok. re-read alittle deeper. are you saying that an engine on NOS will not detonate at all?
your saying that when an engine on NOS fails it's cause of the pressures of the cylinder?

if so i find that hard to believe that an engine on nitro won't detonate. fishey?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:07 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Wow, again, Joe P, the racer puts all this silly talk to bed. Ashton's car is never gonna do 160mph, and MAYBE Mav's car DID dyno 130+. Who said the 924S might be a bit faster due the narrower body and lighter weight?? We have a winnah!

Proof that, as always; RACERS KNOW BEST.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

i never said my car would do 160. thats what would have showed on the speedo.
as it was already showing 143 and climbing fast.

needless to say it was really fast and i let off the gas in a hurry. cause ive never seen it go that high. It usually stops moving at 125.

and a 924S will sadly put a 944 to shame. stupid lighter body and stuff!!! but you dont have those big juicy flares....yummy!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorSea4
Wow, again, Joe P, the racer puts all this silly talk to bed. Ashton's car is never gonna do 160mph, and MAYBE Mav's car DID dyno 130+. Who said the 924S might be a bit faster due the narrower body and lighter weight?? We have a winnah!

Proof that, as always; RACERS KNOW BEST.

The only way a 8v 2.5L NA 944 will do 150 is after being thrown out of an airplane.

The 924S is faster than that 944. This due to narrow fenders and due to the lower 5th gear. In 944 you may be geared for 150, but air drag will limit speed. The 924S on the other hand has less drag an more power at those speeds since the 5th gear is shorter. Not sure if it runs out revs or power first. Anyway it "faster" at top speed. Really though all this talk is useless.

Doing those speed on US roads is plan dangerious. Heck doing that speed on race track is dangerious too. At least we are in a controlled enviroment.

137 rwhp is ALOT for stock 944 motor. Even with the 10.2:1 pistons. From what I have seen most stock street cars put out 120-128 hp. Most spec cars run 127-138. Some are rumored to make 140+ plus, but I have not seen those charts. Most of these don't have cat which some don't think makes a difference, but my estimatae is 5-10 hp. Anyway pulling those numbers is high for motor with cat like assume MV fan has. If he remove it then those numbers make perfect sense. Even so it is possible or off base due to minor dyno calibration. If I really cared I could take his full curve and overlay it with the spec cars and see how the curve looks vs just the peak. That would help too.

Ashton,
Please don't do try 143 mph again. I know all the excuses. Heck I have done some rapid street driving too. That still does not make it safe or ok to do that stuff on the street. Too many variables that you can't control. A small error at those speed can be deadly for you and anyone else on the road.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

agreed and already told myself i wont.

as for the deleted cat. even 5 hp isnt happenin'. i dynoed at 127 at the wheels. perfect compression and leakdown motor. gutted cat, frwilk chip, and slightly shaved head. as for NA tuning. im about to start reading my LAST book about engines. lol..read to many. and the engine out of the kalahari car will be uber pimped in hp standars. i cant wait!
Old 08-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanted to be noticed soo neons seemed to be my best bet
In my experience, Porsches get noticed without that stuff.

racing around a track makes it much harder to see
Not really, time your laps... But quarter mile time is a time-tested benchmark, I'd agree.

as to burn outs, i over exaderated for my friends looking at the site. do u see any smoke coming from the tires? HMMM?????? what i WAS doing was peeling out in a puddle of water!
That water is there for cars with slicks ONLY. If you have radial tires, drive around the water.

BTW neon isn't my taste but I didn't think your car was ricey. Welcome to the boards.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A stock 951 can BARELY break the 150 MPH mark. Consider the HUGE power and aerodynamic differences for just a second. . . . .
At the Texas Mile it is pretty common for 951s to get into the mid 140s, our own Red1 put up a 144.9 in his 951S while the clutch came apart! The other 951 was at 142 and the 993 in the group went 133.

The modified Vettes and Vipers will make it into the 180s and on very rare occasion someone will join the 200MPH club, but they are almost always on bikes (Turbo Busas).

Quick Reply: Another Ricer gets a 944 series...this time, it's PERSONAL