Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my 931 to the strip. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who knows.

I can say ive never really wanted to try a burn out. Tires don't come cheap. Then again...i think it would be a total riot to take the S2 out in a snowy lot and do donuts for hours! That will never happen however.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least Nastycar has some left turns
I'm on trans number 4 and I don't drag race (only one failed under hard acceleration), do what you want but don't come whining to us when you need a trans.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:59 PM
944CS
Drifting

I had a friend who dragged his '86 N/A, in one day did about 20 launches from 3k to 3.5K rpm, that trans is still together no problems
Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
I had a friend who dragged his '86 N/A, in one day did about 20 launches from 3k to 3.5K rpm, that trans is still together no problems
For now.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

20 launches? So he did like 5 miles? That doesn't sound like the most enjoyable 5 miles. I've seen some nice country roads that are 5 miles. They make ya forget all about doing other stuff!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting how some people do not like street racing, however they advocate driving fast on country roads.

Guys you dont understand my situation. No autocross courses or road courses any where close, its central wisconsin, no mountains to drive up and down, and most of the "country roads" are gravel, or extremely ****ty.

I was just looking for tips on what to do on drag day, best way to cool the car, launch, etc, just personal experience.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AutoX is by far worse on a 944 trans then drag racing.

However somehow autoX is acceptable for a 944 but drag racing isn't? WTF ?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I never said i drove fast on country roads. I never made any reference to speed and believe all laws should be abided while safely motoring on public roads.

I would never tell someone to "go fast" on some road. Varying road conditions, surface breaks, gravel, sand, and unexpected banks all make the street far more dangerous than any drag strip or track or autoX.

I do however find much more enjoyment in tight twist country roads that pass through scenic forest and other landscapes. 5 miles of actually braking, accelerating, cornering, etc... seems much more worth it than going in a short straight line 20 times in the same place.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

How is AutoX harder on transmission? Every AutoX except one that i have been in has been similar. I stick the car in second gear and run the whole course between 2500 and 5000rpm. Being that in an autocross you try to be smooth and maintain momentum, speed doesnt change that greatly through out most of the course.

Then again, i guess it depends on the course and your car as well.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey

Interesting question. Maybe it's a matter of social scale?

The only thing that ranks below drag racing is demolition derby.

Yeee haawwww!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fishey

I never said Autox was acceptable, nor did I say it was not bad for the trans. You should know my position on that Ron. We are just speaking to the poster about Drag Racing.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
flosho
Pro

Originally Posted by Blue S2
I never said i drove fast on country roads. I never made any reference to speed and believe all laws should be abided while safely motoring on public roads.

I would never tell someone to "go fast" on some road. Varying road conditions, surface breaks, gravel, sand, and unexpected banks all make the street far more dangerous than any drag strip or track or autoX.

I do however find much more enjoyment in tight twist country roads that pass through scenic forest and other landscapes. 5 miles of actually braking, accelerating, cornering, etc... seems much more worth it than going in a short straight line 20 times in the same place.

Well then you are lucky in the area you live. All the "fun" corners around here are marked with a speed that is well below a "fun" speed, so it would not be very fun. Especially if you abide every law.. I guess I'm not 60 yet where I can take a sunday drive in my Porsche and not break 55mph..
Old 08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

How is AutoX harder on transmission? Every AutoX except one that i have been in has been similar. I stick the car in second gear and run the whole course between 2500 and 5000rpm. Being that in an autocross you try to be smooth and maintain momentum, speed doesnt change that greatly through out most of the course.

Then again, i guess it depends on the course and your car as well.
To answer your question, autox is certainly harder on the trans than just going out for a sunday cruise or a trip to the local **** shop. The loads are very dynamic, most of the time you are either fully on or off the throttle in first and second gear. In theory, if the R&P was perfect with no lash issues and the bearings tight, etc, it shouldn't really matter. But, most 944 trannies are worn and have lash/bearing issues in regards to the R&P. So all of that dynamic load in both directions will cause problems. And of course, a hard launch off the line to trip the run timer is not the best either.

Now, at least for me, I try to launch in a gentle manner to get off the line in an autox. I realize that most of the time to be won/lost is in the corners. Do I give up a little time to XSBOOST at the start? Probably, but I am tired of replacing trannies for now, so I have been gentle on the trans for the last 12 months in that regard.

HOWEVER, I think that in drag racing, there are no corners to make up the time. Let's face it, it's all about launching hard and getting thru the gears as fast as possible to redline each each gear. Most people's 5 starts at the drags are going to be harder than my 5 starts at an autox.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. I'm certain there are people on this BBS who know far more than me and will be happy to tell you so.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, I soft start at autoX. Get rolling slightly and then accelerate briskly in first but i switch to second faster than i should. I know im probably losing a second or two but i dont really care since i AutoX purely for enjoyment. I have never held my RPMs above 2000 and just dropped the clutch. I guess it all depends on the driver.

And about roads, if you get far enough away from the city, there are plenty of country roads posted faster than 35 or 40. It doesnt NEED to be that fast to be fun though. Most autoXs dont get past 60 unless there is a huge straight. And really, driving any faster around turns in public roads is asking for something to happen. So taking sunday drives and not exceeding 55 and still being spirited is very well possible. We had one rennlist drive out here that had 20 minutes of non stop tight curves up and down hill. No one was getting to highway speed. Too tight. It was still quite enjoyable.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Then again...i think it would be a total riot to take the S2 out in a snowy lot and do donuts for hours! That will never happen however.
Why not? I do it all winter long in my 944. Driving on snow is not hard on transmission. For minutes not for hours though, but that's because I don't want to loose my license.

Quick Reply: Taking my 931 to the strip. Any suggestions?