Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone know about renegadehybrids??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:01 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of those guys spend more $$ on their cars and keep them WAAY nicer/cleaner than 95% of the 'tards here on Rennlist. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones or bent valves.

EDIT: I should clarify that not everyone on Rennlist is a 'tard. "'tards" is in reference to 924/944 people who slam hybrids and other projects that are anything other than as the factory intended, yet have no problem purchasing some non-OEM junk for their cars. If you are not one of these 'tards, please disregard.

Last edited by tifosiman; 09-28-2005 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Clarification for those that are easily offended.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You da Man, tifosiman!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:49 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

It’s practically a crime to object to hybrid Porsches on this board because you get insta-flamed as soon as you do. Surely I can't be the only one here who despises bastardized Porsches.

I said it before and it bears repeating: I don't think Chevy engines are better than Porsche engines. I also believe that when you steal the engine (the soul) out of a Porsche it ceases to be a Porsche, just a bastard. Finally, Chevy has been at the bottom in reliability and quality for the past 30 years, how is that better for my car? Want V8 power? Why not go buy a Camaro...it could be sooo much simpler.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:06 PM
ljibis
Instructor

I'm not a big fan of hybrids and can't see myself building one. Not my cup of tea at all. I bought a Porsche because of the engineering and driving pleasure, and that includes the "underpowered" engine.

That said, I agree with tifo...a lot of those hybrid guys spend a ton of money on their p/c-cars, have a great time wrenching on them, have a ball driving them, and wave every time they see another 944 on the road. I'd love to have a ride sometime and have to think that a hybrid owner would be a great wrenching buddy. The mechanical skill it takes to make one work has to be respected....why would one gear head knock on another just because of his taste in hardware?

If anything, we should be ripping on ricers. Someone needs to go to these high school shop classes and tell the kids that putting "GREDDY" stickers and a coffee can-sized muffler on your rusty RX-7 does not make it cool, fast, or worthy of my attention when you're trying to incite a race with me on I-694 during rush hour. Call it a Rennlist Highschool Outreach Program!

I like brunettes, my buddy likes redheads, and some guys just love those dyed blondes. In the end, if she's got sexy curves (and any 944 certainly does) I'll probably buy her a drink
Old 09-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

someone say blondes???

My dad has a friend he went to high school with that did a renegade hybrid with a 350 chevy motor in the back of an old 911 and used 934 bodywork. I was impressed by his skills in fabrication. the car is truly a marvel. Honestly, I can't say I really like renegade hybrid Porsches a lot. However, some of the jobs out there are quite the eye candy.

Renegade Hybrids the company also does excellent work I might add (not endorsing them in any way). Most of their brackets and some fabricated parts are made by CNC machined billet aluminum.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:13 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Can't we have JUST ONE thread about hybrids where everyone gets along? : D
Old 09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
MR951
Racer

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
It’s practically a crime to object to hybrid Porsches on this board because you get insta-flamed as soon as you do. Surely I can't be the only one here who despises bastardized Porsches.

I said it before and it bears repeating: I don't think Chevy engines are better than Porsche engines. I also believe that when you steal the engine (the soul) out of a Porsche it ceases to be a Porsche, just a bastard. Finally, Chevy has been at the bottom in reliability and quality for the past 30 years, how is that better for my car? Want V8 power? Why not go buy a Camaro...it could be sooo much simpler.
Relax dude. Its just a car.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:25 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Finally, Chevy has been at the bottom in reliability and quality for the past 30 years, how is that better for my car?
The small block chevy has been produced since the mid fifties. What did it start as a 265 or 283? It will probably still be around when we run out of oil. It is a reliable engine with chain driven camshafts that will run for a long time on oil changes and spark plugs.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the 944 but I really think this kind of Porsche loyalty should be reserved for 356s or 911s. The factory has disowned this model and the market place values them very low. I recently purchased the factory gasket set for the 2.5l 944S block. It came with only one oil cooler o'ring, 6 balance shaft o'rings, and no plastic washer for the oil cooler. I had to go back to the dealer and pay $17 on top of $240 to make the gasket set complete. So quality control is obviously not wasted by the factory on our 944.

Finally, who cares what somebody does to a $1k-$5k car? I think my car is under powered. When the time comes I will put a 968 engine in it. That will be cheaper than the renegade swap, less hp but it will be enough for me.

We have had this disscussion before. I just thought I would add my .02
Old 09-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Expect to spend upwards of 10-12K for the conversion plus the car.

Predator is also knowledgable on the subject and is a MUCH friendly guy.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:11 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnybgood
The small block chevy has been produced since the mid fifties. What did it start as a 265 or 283? It will probably still be around when we run out of oil. It is a reliable engine with chain driven camshafts that will run for a long time on oil changes and spark plugs.
Yeah of course it'll be around when we run out of oil, because it's the one that either leaks it all out, burns it or guzzles fuel. On top of that, it'll be around because chevy is too stupid to design something different.

I wasn't going to reply but...couldn't resist.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:27 PM
unsigned
Racer

Woah there. The LS1 is a great engine. At this juncture it would be stupid to do this project with anything other than that. It has been time and mileage tested and makes load a power while being quiet and reliable. It would out perform any engine that came stock in a 944 in any way. Relibility, gas mileage, straight up power, maintenance cost, you name it, its all there. Yes, its not from Germany, no it doesn't belong there, but its not a bad idea if one has the skills and money to throw away. A low mile LS1 from say a GTO (the most powerful and recent version) will go for $5-8k... the engine is worth about as much (or more) as the whole damn Porsche.

The 944 is never going to be worth what a 911 or 356 is turbo or not. It is a classic fun car that deserves new life with a proper engine swap.

Am I going to do it? No, I went and bought the GTO.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Predator
Pro

Has any of the 'Nay-sayers' here on the 'Horsepower Challenged List' ever seen and/or been given a ride in a converted 944? Can anyone speak from experience? I've heard a train load of BS here, but never heard anyone speak up and admit they've ever seen a nice example, much less had a ride? My conversion added 80 pounds to the front, so now the car is a around 52/48 weight distribution, which I say, 99.9% of the guys and gals here would never notice. It is actually a safer car on the street with a vert slight push, controlable with your right foot. How many 944's here can bust 100mph in less than 8.5 secs, have air conditioning, offer hi-teens gas mileage, and have the ...SURPRISE... factor on the street, for the investment spent?. These converted cars are more fun than an ol'fart like me should be allowed to have, and anyone can build a nice example, not a great example, but something anyone would be proud of, for about $10k, plus a car. I don't think there is a better, more economical means of dependable horsepower for these cars. If you don't like Chevrolet, I can respect the opinion. But just wait another month or so, run down to your local Chev dealer, and hitch a ride in a new Z06. Might change your perspective!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Predator...your coversion is top notch. I would love a ride in you car if I get down your way!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:07 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

To Jesse and Pred. Thanks for this thread and the link to the Hybrid board. I had lost my way and I now I know the way again. I have my eys on a black 86 951 thats sitting a yard with weeds growing around it and its going to cost a ton to restore the car to original. It could be just the right platform for a monster LS/Pcar.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Predator
Pro

Anyone, most anytime, is welcome at my humble abode. Bring beer! Catch me over on the "other" ha, forum, drop me a pm, an' come on down!!

Quick Reply: anyone know about renegadehybrids??