Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone know about renegadehybrids??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by unsigned
Woah there. The LS1 is a great engine. At this juncture it would be stupid to do this project with anything other than that. It has been time and mileage tested and makes load a power while being quiet and reliable. It would out perform any engine that came stock in a 944 in any way. Relibility, gas mileage, straight up power, maintenance cost, you name it, its all there.
So an LS1 5.7 V8 will out perform a four cylinder designed in the early 80s? Wow! Don't try to impress me so much! But in all seriousness, I still don't believe it will be more reliable. How long can you honestly expect a SBC to last, and I mean before you start passing oil like a sieve, 100k? The SBC may be cheaper to own and initially , but it looks to me like you'd have to replace your SBC two or three times just to match the normal service life of a stock Porsche engine. With it's older technology and cheaper parts, wear increases due to heat and friction. Also, I don't think a SBC could take regular trips to the redline and survive like a Porsche engine.

I won't claim to be an expert when it comes to the SBC, and I may be off base a little, but in *my* experience the Chevy V8s my family has had the misfortune to own had pretty shoddy quality and were on the unreliable side to boot. I have no doubt a chevy small block will get the job done, but for how long, and at what price? From the figures I have seen, the proper conversion always runs about $10,000 plus the price of the car. How about a tastefully modified 951 for the same price? At least that way you don't lose the nuances of a precision driving machine.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

The LS1 is a very up-to-date hunk of technology and as a base engine starts at 300 HP with gobs of torque and with very little tweaking will deliver huge power gains. The mill is all aluminum and the internal are very much now technology. As I posted earlier this is not for the faint of heart but if one has the inclination to do something dramatic it doesn't get much more out there than this. The cost of the swap will depend on the amount of skill/effort the builder has and whether or not the Pcar engine has resale value and the amount of stuff one does to the V8. Imo it doesn't make sense to put a baffed out engine in so some refreshing has to happen. That and a hot cam. After that the engine life is going to depend on how its cared for. I'm sure the AC was pretty good till ole Shel got his mitts and a 289 into it, then it turned into something just a bit different and i thinks thats a pretty good idea.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Predator
Pro

My Chev van has 370K and the only thing that leaks is the driver. Hell, the spark plugs must have over 120k on them. And I treat it like a stepchild. Change the oil at least twice a year, doesn't burn a drop. Still has the original AT. Can't beat it!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With it's older technology and cheaper parts, wear increases due to heat and friction. Also, I don't think a SBC could take regular trips to the redline and survive like a Porsche engine.
Pcarfan944, Im curious as to your facts of the GM V8. You mention heat and friction. Doesnt everything wear by these factors? If you mean that the porsche engine can withstand greater amounts of heat and friction, may I also inquire as to where this data came?

If your basing your opinions from vehicles previously purschased and held by you and yours, is this absolutely enough information as to make such bold claims? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, this is true. However, what you are doing in this post is degrading an American icon worthy of the highest repects from any automotive manufacturer. What's more, you are also degrading your self-identity when you make such claims.

You are informing otherwise unknowing guests that your knowledge is insensible. If you are correct in your data, why is there no one else comending you for speaking the truth?

My Porsche has a 1996 LT1 powerplant.... just to clear things up. I DO NOT have any reason to believe that it will, at any time, leak anymore oil than my previously stock engine would. Prove me wrong. Nevertheless, never dismiss the unknown.

Hello Predator and Dmsog.

Jasse, I would pay special attention to your research on the matter, money and purchasing will come later. Be careful always as to who you listen to, sometimes its just enough to make you doubt yourself. Come see us soon on the hybrids board!

Last edited by 944-LT1; 09-28-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pcarfan944...Don't know your experience but I have owned a '94 GMC c1500 truck since it was new. Over 185k and it runs like a top. Nobody can tell me a 350 isn't dependable.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 PM
MR951
Racer

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
...The SBC may be cheaper to own and initially , but it looks to me like you'd have to replace your SBC two or three times just to match the normal service life of a stock Porsche engine. With it's older technology and cheaper parts, wear increases due to heat and friction. Also, I don't think a SBC could take regular trips to the redline and survive like a Porsche engine.

I won't claim to be an expert when it comes to the SBC, and I may be off base a little.....

For someone who doesn't claim to be an expert you have some very strong opinions on the matter.

FWIW For now, I intend to keep my turbo 4-banger but at the same time I have much respect for those V8 conversions. I will be scheduling a tour of Renegade's facilities when I'm in Vegas (December) and hopefully they'll have a car for me to test drive while I'm there (that way I can comment on these threads w/ first hand experience )
Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Evidently I stand corrected. I don't like making the habit of making an *** of myself on public forums, so if anybody would like to enlighten me on the topic feel free, otherwise i'll rest my case. To each their own.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:00 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

http://www.donovanengineering.com/Bl...ineBlocks.html
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pcarfan944, If your ever in South Bend, IN... call on me. You can test drive my conversion any time! It'll be fun.

Rick, is that you? We miss you on the Hybrids board. Drop a line once in awhile. Hope your conversions are serving you well.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It takes $10k parts and labor for the entire rebuilt v8 engine and conversion kit along with labor. If you figure replacing a good rebuilt complete 944 engine using the same shop rates, the 944 n/a engine replacement will cost around $7k including the clutch like the v8 conversion kit which comes with a new custom clutch. Remember, we are comparing "shop rate" to "shop rate" and not home mechanic prices. If you want to entertain yourself, call the dealer and ask how much it costs to replace the engine with a "crate motor". Heck, a new crankshaft for the 944 at the dealer is around $4k.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:20 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey Frank there's an S2 motor in the classifieds. You know what would be cool would be to take that beat to sh*t 924 out back and shoehorn that in with a 951 transmission. Keep the car in stock trim and repaint it. TOTAL SLEEPER
Old 09-29-2005, 03:38 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see the engine for sale in the classified but there is a 968 engine for a little less than $5k. That engine conversion will cost over $10k also parts and labor "shop rate". BTW, I got rid of that beat to sh*t 924 and have more straight early 944s to play with if I ever get this house renovation done. I just took the 20ft container off the truck (got the forklift brakes to work) and have to find a way to position it in the yard (I wish I had pneumatic tires on my forklift - I am willing to trade my forklift AND a 944 for a nice forklift with pneumatic tires). Its like an instant 1 car garage with a roll up door and a side door. I am going to put it right next to the 16ft box. When the house gets done, I am contemplating that 450 sqft metal building and building it right next to the garage. That will add the equivalent of another 3 car garage (almost as big as my current garage). With the higher ceiling, I am also considering a 7000lb 2 post lift for $2k (1.6k with the 20 percent off coupon) from harbor freight. Then, we can have all the darn conversions we want. I don't know how to weld yet but I bought a nice new mig/flux welder and looking at a plasma cutter. I think we will have enough equipment to fabricate some interesting stuff. Now I just have to find a lathe and milling machine cheap...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Predator
Pro

Oh ****!!!!! Was that RC a few posts back??? RC......... RC....... dat you?? What th' hell ya doin' over hare??
Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Rick_951
Banned

--DELETED--

-TW

Last edited by Rick_951; 09-29-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone know about renegadehybrids??