Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have to beat a GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here know the meaning of '**** retentive'? If not, a few need to look it up! Jeezus! How many of you 'purists' have ever seen a GTO, much less driven one? Get your damn facts straight, and quit talking out of you asses. The GTO is a fine car for the money, period. I don't necessarily like the styling, too generic. But performance wise, its a quick car, handles well, and the build quality is excellent!
Old 10-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

The people bashing the new goat have no idea what they are talking about. The comments about the fit and finish are SPOT ON. For cripe's sake it has a Blaupunkt radio FROM THE FACTORY.

The Racer's Group races a GTO. Think about that one.

The GTO is a great car. I'd love to own one someday. Gas prices aside, it is a hellava better daily driver then a modded 944, and you get power on tap to boot. Drove one from Orlando to Pensacola and it was a very pleasant drive. Yet when you want to get on it, it's ready.

Gotta love the Rennlist know-it-all attitude.

Old 10-15-2005, 06:43 PM
hansman
Instructor

Default Lighten up guys its only a thread

My definition of **** retentive would be anyone waisting all the money and time to stuff a v8 in an 83 chassis. This is my opinion only!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez lighten up it only a thread!
Old 10-15-2005, 07:00 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

An Aussie platform with a Canadian engine. Not bad. In my future I see a 951 with a 7 litre LS. I think I would take on all comers in a drag or twisties, street or track.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:11 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven Tom's GTO. I didn't compare back to back, but I think it will pretty much spank my 951 in a straight line. Perhaps if I had the turbo spooled and we happened to be running from just the right speed to the right speed, and I were in the right gear, I could take the GTO. Maybe. I certainly wouldn't count on it.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:21 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

WOW!

Some of you guys have a serious problem here, eh?

Stop worrying about what is faster, slower, handles better/worse, brakes better/worse, looks better/worse, is more expensive/cheaper!!

Just get out there and enjoy it!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
The people bashing the new goat have no idea what they are talking about. The comments about the fit and finish are SPOT ON. For cripe's sake it has a Blaupunkt radio FROM THE FACTORY.

The Racer's Group races a GTO. Think about that one.

Gotta love the Rennlist know-it-all attitude.

Yea, becuase that means so much?

Hell... The volvo actually won so it must be faster and better!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:57 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buddy youre trapped in the 80's.. blaupunkt isn't exactly what it used to be
Old 10-15-2005, 10:10 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um, the TRG is PAID to race the GTO. I'm pretty darn sure they'd be driving something else if they had their choice of platforms.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:39 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't be hard to mod a 951 to beat a GTO. My 951 has about 350bhp, thats about the same as the GTO (I think), and is much lighter. Sure cost less too.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Post 12 of this thread.
Originally Posted by Tom R.
I saw an automatic 05 GTO on a mustang do the quarter in 13.2 at the autoshow in motion.

I know my 04 GTO will pulverize my S2 in a straight line. Yes, the numbers are real.

As for turns, my S2 will murderize the GTO on a track, but on the street, as in on a nice sweeper like a highway entrance ramp the GTO will hold its own. for a 3800 car the GTO handles pretty good, steering is number than a married mans you know what compared to the crisp input you get in the S2.

The cars are so different it isnt funny. i would take the GTO cross country in a minute compared to the S2.

I have not driven the S2 much at all since i got the GTO. As far as an all around package, the GTO is better than the S2. It is a bit faster, more luxorious, easier on the butt, and takes turns pretty nicely, but alas not nearly as sporty. The sound from the V8, ahhh, thats nirvana, makes the S2 sound like any imported four cylinder with a stick shift.
When I drove the infamous mullet from ny to oh last year i averaged 23mpg. that was with a LT1 with bolt on mods.

The computer on the GTO shows 26/27 mpg at about 70mph. That is 26 mpg in air conditioned comfort with a rear seat that will comfortably hold to real sized people after they squeeze in.

I think i gave a pretty fair comparison of the S2 and GTO. Its funny how I got flamed by the gto mullets when i commented how numb the steering was compared to the S2. yes the S2 handles better and feels sportier than the GTO. with a few bolt ons will the gto handle as good as the S2? possibly. will the S2 ever reliably be as fast as the GTO? no way jose.

Neal, you drove it with blizzaks. with real rubber (and not the bf badrich's it has) and a few minor mods it should handle pretty nicely.
Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
It wouldn't be hard to mod a 951 to beat a GTO. My 951 has about 350bhp, thats about the same as the GTO (I think), and is much lighter. Sure cost less too.
Wanna bet? add up your receipts. Sticker was 33200, I paid 20400 for the car with a 18700 residual after three years and a whopping 3.5% interest rate from GMAC. It was a brand new 04 I got in december 04. Which would you rather take on a 4 hour drive? Having driven a 944S2 and the GTO I know the GTO wins hands down.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanna bet? add up your receipts. Sticker was 33200, I paid 20400 for the car with a 18700 residual after three years and a whopping 3.5% interest rate from GMAC. It was a brand new 04 I got in december 04.

Wait, how does that even work? I mean it seems to me that there are alot of varibles to consider.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:03 AM
unsigned
Racer

Originally Posted by Fishey
Wait, how does that even work? I mean it seems to me that there are alot of varibles to consider.

Well to make it simpler, I paid 27,500 for a car that stickered for $32195 with a 2.9 rate from GMAC. Its a simple I pay they give me the car. I won't have any cash out of pocket for repairs for 5 years (well, 4 more).

Its cheap for a car that is turn-key fast. I've already invested about $4K into my 'cheap' 944 that doesn't even come close to doing anything like the GTO.

Oh, and yeah, the Blaupunkt stereo is 'good' but not really a selling point. It is only a notch above typical OEM qualty. Even their aftermarket stuff is much better.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:08 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
yes there are variables. the first is sticker price, from that you are given a residual. in my case it was 54 or 56% i forget. the residual is just under 18700.

then the other variable is the interest rate. in my case it is 3.5% from GM.

then the other variable is the purchase price. in my case it was 20400.

the other variable is sales tax. in my case it was 8.75%

the other variable is whether i do an outright purchase, a lease or a hybrid or smartbuy. gm didnt lease in ny until last month so i did the hybrid.

it's simple, at the end of 3 years i give them back the car, or i buy the car for 18700 or i negotiate a lower (or higher if i want) purchase price.

for what i got the car for the only variable i considered was the color, and whether to save an additional 1150 by driving 250 miles to get it.

guess you didnt have the gm card unsigned!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:28 AM
unsigned
Racer

guess you didnt have the gm card unsigned!!!

lol, nope. But when I bought mine it was a damn good price. I was also able to walk to the lot and get the color combo and tranny choice I wanted. I paid a very small premium and you got a steal... But I bought mine months before you.

No regrets as the car is worth the sticker hands down.

Quick Reply: I have to beat a GTO