Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ice Shark Memories

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:34 PM
85944na
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ice Shark Memories

Someone in another thread mentioned starting a thread about our favorite Ice Shark memories, I thought this would be nice and I didn't see one created already. I'll start it out as I was one of the few listers to meet Dan on more than one occasion.

When I bought my 944, the sealed beams were awful. I upgraded to some Hella vision plus lights since they were legal( I was 16) and they helped a little but still were disappointing. A few months later one took a rock and cracked so I started looking for lights. Iceshark responded and recommended the Cibie e-code lights I now have, and he did all the importing, etc. I picked them up from his house as I lived close and we ended up talking for a good part of the afternoon. He drove a Black Turbo S that was beautiful. A few years later I ordered a ground kit from him as I was worried about the tiny bare metal copper ground cable. This time he volunteered to help me with installation. Again I went to his place and we spent the day installing the cables, going for a test drive and talking cars. Dan was a fantastic guy and he will be missed. I am so stunned to hear this news.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:48 PM
simmomi
Pro

I had posted this in one of the other threads, but wanted to include it here as well...

I too had the privilege of speaking with Dan once on the phone. It was very obvious to me that he was a very wise and intelligent person.

I will have a lasting memory of him - every time I sent him a check, he asked for me to have my wife write the check as he loved her handwriting. I'll never forget how much he commented on it the first time we sent one to him. I'll also remember his appreciation for the extra money I sent him as a thank you for his time - I told him to go by a six pack. I recall he enjoyed that too...

I'm very saddened to hear of his passing. And pray that God is with his family at this time.

Godspeed Dan...

After writing the above note, I found the following text from an email Dan had written to me. Thought I would share it with you...I couldn't help but smile when I read it.

Mike, I got your check and will get the lenses out to you in the next couple days.

I see you had your wife write the check again ...... I really like her hand writing. No question on what it means, clear and straight forward. You should see some of the nightmare letters I get. You would think they were written by aliens and their address is in some star system 1000 light years away. ;-)

Regards,

Dan
Dan's ingenuity and special skill have benefited so many of us in the 944 community. Every time I drive my 944 at night, I know that I will have part of Dan lighting my way.

We're gonna miss you buddy...thanks for everything.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 AM
82-928/89-S2
Advanced

From Dan Wray 8/8/2004

By in large, Rennlisters are a pretty darn good group. I've never been stiffed by one yet on any sale, which is rather remarkable.
There are a few people that don't understand the nature of what I am doing especially since I'm now so well known. But most do and really appreciate what I'm up to. I still remember the first big FullBoat Headlight Package build. People sent in $100 deposits and we waited for the Cibie lenses to come in. It was something like 6 months for those to show up. I kept people informed and everyone understood we were all in this mess together. I didn't have one complaint. That was also rather amazing given how many people get screwed by these aftermarket tuners taking money and never delivering product.

Ok, back to putting on heat shrink.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:18 AM
82-928/89-S2
Advanced

From Dan Wray 8/27/2004

My construction skills came from my grandfathers and two great grandfathers. All were very skilled craftsmen in various trades. When I was with them they would teach me all they knew. There is a picture of me at two years old up 40 feet on a scaffold cementing in bricks for a fireplace. I don't remember, of course, but there is the picture with my tongue hanging out and dripping saliva intent with my finishing trowel. I think one would be arrested these days for putting a child in that situation, but i survived all they put me through. LOL!

Best Regards,

Dan
Old 10-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes. I was one of the ones in on that first headlight kit- never once even considered Dan to be trying to pull anything... I don't think anyone else did either... My car has always seemed to run a touch hot, so, we talked about this subject a lot... One of his more memorable(?) stories was the one where his radiator went out in an old '60's or '70's car, in the late 1970's or early '80's I believe... He said he was out w/7 or 8 people & the radiator was dry & they all had to fill it up- they didn't have any water, but, had gone through a lot of beer, so... He always laughed that even the girls had to chip in, or, they would have been stranded...

The other one was concerning his nickname, Iceshark- he had aquired it from some sort of scuba-diving club where he was one of the few who could stand the coldest waters...
Old 10-24-2005, 01:23 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am shocked to be hearing this news as I am writing this from Singapore....

Dan and I corresponded on many occassions, up until a couple of months ago. I lived in Washington State when I first purchased Dan's Cibie E-code lenses. Yes, the lenses were great. But what was more enlightening was Dan's sense of humor. I enjoyed his wit in the numerous emails we exchanged. We not only talked about Porsches. In fact, we exchanged anedotes about life in general. It was during a few of these exchanges that I came to learn that he was a CPA, had visited Singapore in the past and loved sailing.

I have also come to respect a man who understood one's reptutation is earned by building trust with others. Trust does not not come easily in an Internet virtual community. And yet, the last couple of days of shock and sadness displayed on Rennlist reflects the high regard in which we have come to respect Dan. He also committed to building products based on faith in the members of our community. Remember, here is a guy who would start ordering and building $300+ kit based on a $100 commitment from us. We lived with a confidence that any Rennlist threads regarding lighting would come answered by Dan usually within a few hours. Such is the man I have come to respect.

Dan, I hope you are reading this in your heavenly perch.....

Thanks for everything buddy. It is too bad most of us did not get a chance to meet you. My wife is from the South Dakota area, and I was actually mulling over the idea of swinging by the Minneapolis area and having a cold one with you. We have yet to know the circumstances in which you departed the earthly abode. But we are comforted to know that you will no longer need to work on improving the lighting conditions in your new journey....your path is illuminated from here on....Rest in Peace buddy.

Last edited by ACG; 10-25-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:21 AM
ljibis
Instructor

I was shocked to come on Rennlist this morning and find out about Dan's death. We corresponded by email and met for lunch just before Labor Day. He was, hands down, one of the nicest people I've ever met. We'd spoken only briefly on the phone, but ended up chatting for the better part of two hours over lunch covering just about every subject under the sun.

He had some great stories to tell, and offered some very good advice to me "having been there." My hope is that he passed doing something he loved, having another adventure. I hope we can all take comfort in the fact that this imperfect life is only temporary. I would guess that when any of us are tackling another wiring problem on a '44, he'll be there watching and probably laughing at our ineptitude.

You'll be missed, Dan!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, Rennlisters. I am Dan's sister, Betsy. I want you to know how overwhelmed our family is at your response to Dan's passing. We have been so touched by all of your messages of condolence and your stories of interactions with Dan. Please let everyone know we're reading your posts on Rennlist and your messages in the guestbook at StarTribune.com. Dan was lucky to be part of such a great community of people. Thank you so much for your kind words and memories.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Dan Wray on 11/22/2004 after I told him I overnighted him payment for the light kit and that I couldn't wait to install them:

Matt,

Oh, you are going to be pretty impressed. ;-) Friends have set this up against Benzes and Bimmers with HID arc lights. They think they are just as good or better. I just let the results speak for themselves.

Have a Happy Birthday and drop me a line if you run into any questions.

Dan

----

Dan was always a pleasure to work with and very quick to help. Even when we thought the voltage regulator he sent me was bad, he responded quickly with lots of detailed information in his email on what to check for, etc. Ended up it wasn't the voltage regulator, so it wasn't even his fault. But still always willing to help.

Great thread.

-Matt
Old 10-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
Hello, Rennlisters. I am Dan's sister, Betsy. I want you to know how overwhelmed our family is at your response to Dan's passing. We have been so touched by all of your messages of condolence and your stories of interactions with Dan. Please let everyone know we're reading your posts on Rennlist and your messages in the guestbook at StarTribune.com. Dan was lucky to be part of such a great community of people. Thank you so much for your kind words and memories.
You and yours are in our prayers!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

This thread is a great idea. I'm still reeling from this news, it's really sad.

I have this habit of archiving all my e-mails here at work, and have all sorts of e-mails from Dan. They're a little hard to read right now, but I remember one in which he relates an interesting courtroom story. I thought I'd just cut & paste it here to add to the thread:

Quote (Dan):

"I like your "letter of the law and the spirit of the law". I will tell you
about the most stupid closing arguement made by a lawyer in a case I was on.

Thief River Falls, MN. Onan, the engine guys, had put a skid steer
manufacturer almost out of business due to their faulty motors. Most
everyone in town is a Catholic and avid duck hunter. And had a relation that
worked at the plant. The trial went on for several weeks. Covering the start
of duck hunting so they were sort of pissed off to begin with. There were 6
women on the jury but they were all duck hunters, also. It was a disaster
for Onan, waiting to happen.

On the back of the court room were the Ten Commandments carved in stone. The
defense lawyer, in closing, told the jury that they shouldn't judge this by
God's laws, do it by man's laws. Bad arguement. The jury took about 20
minutes to reach a verdict. So we won. The unusual part was when the jury
sent a note to the judge to ask if they could award more than we were asking
for. That pretty much told the story."

As cool as "IceShark" is, as an internet name (and it is one of the best I've heard), I always thought of Dan in my own head as "Dan the Man" because he was so honest and always came through.

He will be missed by so many, and if it is any consolation for us, at least we can reflect that when someone leaves such a void when they pass on, they obviously lived a life of true meaning.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

My memory of Dan was that he was just a good honest person. What else can you ask for.

He left Rennlist a better place than when he found it. I would hope his example is something we can all aspire to.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan was such an awesome guy. We worked together to get that last battery cable build up and started because I would bug him about getting another build going. When he said it would be his last build I guess it really was He will be missed like none other. Godspeed Dan. Rennlist will not be the same....
Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I already posted to the OT forum about how Dan sent me his headlight kit before I had even confirmed my payment, such was the level of trust he showed towards us Rennlisters.

I was planning on getting another kit from him for my other car and kind of looking forward to his witty correspondence when I heard the terribly sad news of his passing.

We really mean it when we say he will be missed!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 AM
bryanthompson
AutoX

A few weeks after installing Dan's kit, I hit a washed-out area in a gravel road during a storm and cracked one of my lenses. I emailed Dan and he had a new lens in the mail before my payment even got to him. He truly cared about all of his customers, and about the 944 community as a whole. I get chills when I think about how much someone who we've never even met in real life can mean to us.

Quick Reply: Ice Shark Memories