Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Bob be euthanized?
Yes.
44.00%
No.
56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

OT - should the doggy live?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 05:29 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - should the doggy live?

not to burst everyone's after thanksgiving holiday spirit bubble, but I've got a problem. My dog, a beautiful Golden Retriever named Bob is 14 years old and has hip problems. Sometimes he can barely get up on his own, and he can't climb stairs any more, and needs assistance to walk on tile or hardwood floors. The past week or so he's been having 'accidents' in the house where he just kind of loses control before he can get up (or doesn't try to get up). On the other hand he still has a vorracious appitite and seems pretty sharp mentally with a few exceptions: he sometimes will wonder into a room like he's lost or in a trance, and sometimes just starts barking at radom things, and sometimes barking at nothing at all, even though its not much of a bark as it is a quiet cough. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but I don't know how you tell if a dog is in pain.

So here's the dilema. Should we take him to the vet to be euthanized, or let him carry out his natural life?

here is bob
Old 11-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't envy you. I have a 9 YO golden and I do not look forward to having to make that call. I'm trying to get some things clear in my mind now before I have to struggle with making that call.

I'd be inclined to say if he is not in pain and seems to know who you are, I'd keep him around. The accidents are something I think is not too different from house training in reverse. Sure it's not what you want from your faithful dog who has known better for 13 years.... Are there things you can do to keep him comfortable and happy and accomodate him?
Old 11-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

It sucks when our pets get old. My folks just went through this with their/our yellow lab named Tyler. He was 13 and got to the point he couln't walk well either. Arthritis in his shoulders and then his hips crapped out. It was obvious he was in pain. He was all there personality wise but physically things were braking down, which made it hard. My parents on the advice of the vet chose option one. It was hard and my dad in particular was very sad, but it was the best thing to do for Tyler because he was in pain.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is your vet's opinion of the dog's health?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:00 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Man, I feel for you. We just had to put our 14 Y/o Golden down with the exact same problems.
He would keep trying and trying, got to where I was carring him down the stairs and he would fall all over the yard.
It broke my heart to put him down, but more so to watch him like that.
To make matters wors, my wife moved out about a month before. We both went in with
we had it done. I still expect to see his face watching for me.
Its a tough call, but I dont regret doing it when I did.
Good luck
Old 11-25-2005, 06:12 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
What is your vet's opinion of the dog's health?
Vet says that he certainly won't get any better.

the dog is on pills. Everyday he takes Thyroxin (thyroid problems since he was a pup), arthritus medicine, and sometimes half an asprin.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:26 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

This really sucks, having to make these kind of decisons. Your pet is not going to get better and holding on to him now is not doing him any favours, please take him to the vet and do what has to be done.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Predator
Pro

Best advice is to put him down. I know this is cold, but its the best for both of you. The pain will pass and soon you'll be able to remember him and smile with the good memories. A new puppy is also a great way to honor him. I had a 14 year old lab, 'Saxon'. Same problem. It does not get better. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:34 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Been there, done that, twice with bulldogs. Love them to death as they are loyal as the day is long. Don't keep the family member around for your sake if they are in pain - it's time to let them go for their own dignity and end their suffering.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by undertheradar
I guess my point is, looking back, his last month was not a good one for him. The drugs, the force feeding, sleeping in his own mess. I was trying to keep him alive for me, because I could not let him go...because he was my best friend (corny, sorry). If I could go back, I would have spared Moses the indignaty of all of the above, I would have let him go sooner...before he got so bad.
I think this says it all, but I feel rather useless to you. I believe if you look in your heart, you will know whether it's time or not. Our cat, Pickles, was 13 and suffering from feline leukemia. We had one operation when he was 10 or 11, but the dang tumor came back after a year or so. He was in pain, but not totally incapacitated. We tried to be objective about the proper time but that was not possible. Fortunately, we could see his pain and figured it out. Still miss that little guy though... Good Luck.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What some of you are losing sight of is that Bob "does not appear to be in pain."

If he was in pain, the answer I think would be much easier.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:55 PM
MR951
Racer

Originally Posted by Geo
What some of you are losing sight of is that Bob "does not appear to be in pain."

If he was in pain, the answer I think would be much easier.

I agree. If Bob isn't in pain then I say keep him and be as loyal to him as he has been to you all these years. It's tough to see your beloved pet age but just because they've reached that age and thus requires a little more care (accidents in the house and difficulty moving about) IMO is not a reason to put them down.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:35 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry
Old 11-25-2005, 10:00 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Dan,
You know my feelings about old Goldens. A vet will tell you that when the 'accidents' become the norm it's just his bodies way of starting a slow shutdown. I say get him into a vet for a professional opinion. Once their hips and bodily functions deteriorate it not good for you or the dog. No matter which way you have to go you absolutely have to be there until the end if Bob has to be put down. Our old Maggie got so bad I wish we had made the call sooner but we didn't have the heart. Something can be said for letting them go out on their own terms as long as they aren't in pain. I'm sorry to see you in this position but you'll know the right thing to do. You know Beau is always here if you need to get some Golden time in but he's about as old as Bob. Good luck to both you and Bob.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What a difficult decision. It's terrible to lose a friend and family member, but if it was my choice, i would hold on to Bob a bit longer, and let him enjoy the love you feel for him. Consider it a small price to pay for what he's given you throught his life.

Quick Reply: OT - should the doggy live?