Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The longest clutch change . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:57 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Steve,

Throw a post up on KCWS about this, and we'll see if we can organize a "rescue party" for you. There's enough of us in the group that have been in your position, I am confident we can help you out Plus, we usually have a lot of fun we we get together!

Don't give up, you've already got most of the hard work done!

Regards,
Old 01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Look man, don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but if you can't afford a few hundred bucks on parts, you shouldn't own a 944. Period.
A few hundred bucks? I have almost a grand already wrapped up in clutch cr@p dude.

I have over $20K in this car, not including my time. It is my mistake to dump that much into it. I am pretty sure most buyers have no idea what it costs to maintain these cars.

I have owned mine for 5 or 6 years and am more than familiar with the costs involved. I forgot, how long have you have yours?

When I bought it, I had a good paying job, money was not as much of an issue.

Maybe you are right, time to sell the POS and leave it for the elitist -

Anyway

I still think I can get it out with a drift/punch and patience.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
MY83944
Racer

Originally Posted by sh944
Steve,

Throw a post up on KCWS about this, and we'll see if we can organize a "rescue party" for you. There's enough of us in the group that have been in your position, I am confident we can help you out Plus, we usually have a lot of fun we we get together!

Don't give up, you've already got most of the hard work done!

Regards,
Best thing I have heard all day, I will strongly consider that, thanks. I have access to about anything, including a cherry picker to pull the engine. My problem now seems to be motivation.

Now is the time to eat and have some water, relax, sit back and reflect for a while.

Thanks again Scott, great idea.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some skilled hands to help out. Car projects are always more fun with a couple people, and you guys can trade off the crappy jobs. Makes the whole experience much more enjoyable. Every time I work on mine alone I hate it, but when I have friends over, everything goes great. Besides, another set of eyes never hurts (unless they're watching you hurt yourself.... then it's funny )
Best of luck with this.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeff, are you having another bad day? I like to put the cars together with all proper bolts (made by the factory, same appearance, length, etc - I have 6 buckets full of 944 bolts 5 gallons each to accomplish that task) but there is a point of dimished return. The main purpose is to have a reliable car that is functional in the end.

I think Matt is right on this one. I worked on a track car being built into a spec race car and he is missing one bolt in the bell housing. It worked fine for track duty. One of my 944 now being turned into a spec car is also missing that one bolt. The car was driven 100k miles (now has 190k on the motor) with that missing bolt. I will wait for the motor to blow up before I go through the hassle to replace that bolt. Heck, it makes clutch changes easier the next time and makes the car lighter too
Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

the first bolt he is trying to get at though is for the speed/reference bracket. second busted one he found, sure, leave it broke
Old 01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
MY83944
Racer

OK, took a peak at the top side, feel better.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
camelot
Instructor

Patience, patience, just think of the sense of accomplishment when your done , AND the money you saved on labor! Labor is $125.00 ph out here on east coast. $85 if your lucky, but they"ll make up the difference in parts. Clutch jobs out here are 2.5 to 3k! "May the force be with you"
Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

That is a clean looking engine, hopefully it will keep you motivated enough to finish the project. I would go ahead and take Scott and the KCWS up on his offer. Another set of eyes/hands never hurts.

Maybe the easiest thing would be drilling it out and either retapping or helicoil the hole. Also, I've heard that pneumatic drills do a much better job of this than their electric counterparts. I'm not sure if there is enough room for a pistol grip drill, so you might have to find a right angle drill and an especially short bit.

Luckily I only had to drill out one of the flywheel bolts when I did my clutch job. Even so, it took almost three months for me to find the time and stay motivated.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look man, I think you took what I said the wrong way. . . I feel for you, I really do. Each of us here has been at our breaking point with our cars at one point or another - me included.

If you have so much money tied up in the car, why would you dump it over a couple hundred bucks in seals? That's all I'm saying. If you can't afford to fix it right now (look, these things happen) is it REALLY an excuse to junk or sell the car? Why not let it sit for a bit, work on the stuff you can work on that doesn't cost anything in the meantime, and when the money comes, buy the parts and fix it right?

Sorry if I jumped all over you before but I constantly get tired of hearing guys come on here and saying "I bought a $300 944 and now it's broken! I don't have $500 for a clutch" or whatever. Obviously this isn't your case and I apologize for dumping you in with that crowd based on your earlier post. Clearly that's something I misinterpreted.

Anyway, I think the best advise has been said. Don't rush it. Take your time and figure it out. A solution will present itself. One always does.

FWIW I bought my first 944 (the '85) from a guy that had lost his love for it for exactly the reason you mention. He tried to sluff his way through a clutch job and realized all too late what a monumental undertaking it was. He'd go work on the car for a couple hours, get frustrated, throw tools around and storm off inside and the car would sit for another couple weeks. Very incremental progress was made over the course of almost a year until finally he got the job done, the car back together but by then had bought a Jaguar and no longer gave two sh*ts about the 944. That opened up the door for me to buy it for a song, so it worked out for me I guess.

Moral is don't let it get you down. We've all been there. If you're concerned about money or whatever, maybe let it go for a while or work on something else until you're better able to tend to it, rather than being tempted to do a hack job.

Like I said before, good luck with it.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:49 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

..FWIW I bought my first 944 (the '85) from a guy that had lost his love for it for exactly the reason you mention. He tried to sluff his way through a clutch job and realized all too late what a monumental undertaking it was. He'd go work on the car for a couple hours, get frustrated, throw tools around and storm off inside and the car would sit for another couple weeks...That opened up the door for me to buy it for a song, so it worked out for me I guess..

Hey I don't remember selling you my car
Old 01-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh you mean he wasn't the only one? Perish the thought!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:01 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love people who give up on their projects. It gives me a chance to get a great deal and put the car back together.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:01 AM
MY83944
Racer

. . . buy the parts and fix it right?
Like I said before, good luck with it.
Thanks, and I appologize for biting back, lots happening in my life other than the 944.

I have to work the sales floor today (Honda Motorcycles) and will most likely have plenty of time on my hands to call around and find a right angle drill to borrow. I may just buy one, I do have a tool addiction problem.

Then, if there is room, I bet I have to cut the bit down, I will drill that sukka and my Cornwell extractor will pull it right out.

Then I will run a tap through, as well as the others, and begin assembly.

****, I am somewhat ****, one of my weakness's, I do it right. That is why I could not pull the motor and not dump a boat load of money into it.

New week, mine starts today.

See y'all!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
MY83944
Racer

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I love people who give up on their projects. It gives me a chance to get a great deal and put the car back together.
Me too, I work as a service manager in a motorcycle shop and that is how I get a few motorcycles for myself, generally for free.

Yes, please, do your own work!

Quick Reply: The longest clutch change . . .