Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
personally, If the car has a 924/944/968 block, and they mod from a Porsche base, I'm good with it. When they crank in a Checvy, I can'thelp but ask, "Why didn't you just buy an old freaking Vette then?" Bolt ons from a Porsche core are fine with me.

my .02
Old 01-14-2006, 12:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
personally, If the car has a 924/944/968 block, and they mod from a Porsche base, I'm good with it. When they crank in a Checvy, I can'thelp but ask, "Why didn't you just buy an old freaking Vette then?" Bolt ons from a Porsche core are fine with me.

my .02
Have you driven an older Corvette?

Fact is, the beauty of the 944 is the chassis - not the motor.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Have you driven an older Corvette?

the 944 has a motor? is that what that gerbil thingie under the hood is? now that lump under the hood of my aussie thats a motor

at least the 944 has a chasis, thats more than my 68 firebird ever had. that sucka twists like a piece of paper.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:26 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
at least the 944 has a chasis, thats more than my 68 firebird ever had. that sucka twists like a piece of paper.
That is the #1 point most "purists" always miss. Who cares about the motor, it just propels the car forward. But a car with a crappy chassis - no matter what you do (short of welding in a tube frame) you still have a crappy chassis.

Not saying your firebird is crappy, just trying to make a point.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:09 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the elitist attitude that shuns V8 swaps is best left to that certain sect of 911 owners. Frankly, it's hypocritical for 944 owners to shun the hybrid guys, and then turn around and complain about the 911 owners who shun 944's for being "un-Porsche."
Never thought of that. Well put Mr. Williams.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:04 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenne944
I dont want to Offend or Knock anyone about their cars but i think its hella sweet that a person that owns a old school 944 and kept that bad boy running without throwing in a different engine always has props because they kept their car "original", even if it does cost an arm or a leg to keep it going.
Am I the only one who gets tired of hearing how the 944/951 are expensive cars to keep running? That has not been my experience with the two I have owned as my daily drivers. Maybe it is the owners or previous owners who weren't too reliable.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Predator
Pro

OK, time for this ol'Fart to throw in $0.02. As a person fortunate to currently own several examples of the cars being discussed (or kussed) I will try to put this into perspective.
1. Early 944 were not much more that fancy, good handling economy cars. Period. Yes, Heir Porsche got an arm and a leg for them at the time, but many parts were VW or Audi. As the brand matured, they evolved. I have an '83 that I drove for 15 years. Dependable, fun, economical,................... slow. After a while, it's value was basically zero. Still a solid platform, never damaged, so I converted it to LT4 power, spent some serious $$$$, but, now have a extremely fast, dependable, unique, stealthy street warrior.
2. I just sold my '86 944. Was much more refined that the '83, but still slow. Tried to hand it down to my 15 year old son. He passed. This should have told me something!
3. Have a'89 S2. Basically same car as the '86, with a few more ponies, better brakes and suspension, improved styling. Still slow, but Heir Porsche was on to something, and if this car was allowed to evolved, it was bound to un-seat the back-motored cars from a performance edge.
4. 2005 C6 Vette, 6-speed.
Comparing these cars: Throw out the C6. There's simply no way to put the first 3 in the same ball park. Too much water under the bridge. Looked at the new 996's. but was not impressed with performance or quality. The converted '83: faster, brakes as well, handles almost as well as the C6, but with a sledge hammer attitude. If I want some real fun, I go hunting with this car. Never been defeated on the street. Love to pick on the 'attitude guys' in the back-motored cars. The expressions on their faces are worth every penny. Especially the "Racing, why I wasn't racing" expression after blowing their doors off with their trophy girl friends laughing her *** off.
The '86 and '88, from my perspective: dependable, safe, good handling, inexpensive economy cars that are approaching cult statis. I think these cars have reached the bottom of the depreciation curve, and good examples will be worth more in the future, but not investment grade, except, maybe, for the S2's and 951's.
Any car can be personalized to make its owner happier. Some go for the exterior custom with no performance modifications, some go for performance only, some like the original restorations, others like to combine it all. This is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Fine, but this is all personal preferences. I have never seen an owner of a converted car attempting to shove his opinions down the throat of a purist. As the owner of a converted 944 and an active member of that community, I can say that most of the guys are well versed mechanically with their cars, extremely helpful with accurate information, not only with the conversion aspect, but the entire car and it's workings. The shoe is really on the other foot when it come to purists slamming conversions. Most guys with a hard-on for the converted cars have never seen an example, much less riden/driven one. Sure, there are some real hack jobs out there, but what about the guy here that painted his interior black enamel a few monthys back? Then wondered why the paint was peeling? I joined this forum 3 years ago, and have seen it go from a fun, helpful, insightful, medium, to a mix of a few hardcore purists with the 'attitude', along with a majority of, sorry, wannabe idiots. I know there are newbe's that will always need the help of the experienced car owner, but, Jeeze, a lot of stuff here last year was,... well,... stupid to the point that I questioned the common sense of the author. But, its these hardcore's that are running the "guys with a life" off. I really am sorry to see this forum in this condition. But some of you need to lighten-up, chill out and look around the forest. You might even see a tree that you like
Old 01-14-2006, 12:58 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944SuperCar
I'm in Monroe, CT. I haven't performed any time tests yet and would like to know. I haven't corner weighed either. I'm still perfecting the conversion but would love to see how it stacks up without destroying it (only been driving it with the conversion for about 6 months, tweaking along the way. Took it off the road for awhile to replace the torsion bars and upgrade the transaxle and suspension… that was fun!!!! Ever replace and re-index torsion bars?
What is "Rutts hut"? PM me, it would be fun to swing by if I can. When/where do the "Rutts hut" get-togethers take place? During the good weather seasons, Monroe has a large classic car show every Friday evening. Supposedly, it’s the oldest classic car get-together in CT. I shall be attending this year... they seem to be all American car enthusiasts though... I'm stuck in the middle.
I live in Fairfield just south of the train station and I have an 84 944 n/a. I have thought that if the engine went I would consider the V8 swap. I would love to see your car some time. Many years ago I put a V8 into a Vega station wagon. That was not a good mating although it did fit in there very well. It was not a very drivable car.

Last edited by TheMAXX; 03-01-2006 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Crazyhippy
4th Gear

I never claimed chevy didn't make crap. I said it was funny someone would say they did... except for the corvette

And the point on the tires, you got 100% right. Every car on here (if it is driven and not stuck in a bubble) is a bastard to some extent or another.

Originally Posted by Matt H
I dont want to start a fight but Corvettes up to the end of the C4 run are piles of junk. Collectible piles of junk, but piles nonetheless. To be honest, after driving an LT4 C4 for a while I dont even think I would want one of those. I would take an 86 944 over an 86 Corvette any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hell, I might be looking for an 86 Corvette that the interior hadnt fallen apart in or that both windows still went all the way up straight in for a year of Sundays. The LT4 C4 pulls nicely, the C5s got better still, the C6 (aside from the ridiculous steering wheel, seriously who designed that? Stay-Puffed??) is better yet. As someone who had an 11 sec Camaro I think it is simple to say it was an inferior product. Fast as hell, but inferior.

That would be impossible. The tires originally found on 944s have all long since been discontinued. On the plus side, it means we all drive bastard cars.

There are some nice conversions on this list, there are also some hideous monsters!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

how is this for a bastard porsche?

anyone other than someone with me today wanna tell me what's wrong, or right with this picture.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
Your saying I can't get a 944, when you like, lease a effing GTO...

Lots of room to talk...

You even know what GTO stands for? No, not Gas Tires and Oil...
No silly, GTO doesnt stand for gas tires and oil.

It stands for "GetThoseOrders". Everyone knows that.

Mr. Wangers himself told me that. And if anyone should know, Mr. Wangers should know.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, isnt that a Cayman with some aftermarket (perhaps RUF) front bumper?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was a FarnbacherLoles racing today with the local PCA.

That is a Cayman with an X51 405hp motor, a third radiator in the front and 911 fenders/headlights.

I was talking to Bob Slausen about the car. For about 100k you will get a Cayman with the X51 or the 350hp 3.8, ceramic brakes, and the 911 nose. that will possibly be the best all around porsche ever. not to ever leave the factory because it is a bastard, but to use all factory parts, i mean if it was built like the factory would..... see there is no definiton. why not just put a 400hp 951 motor in there, or a chevy V8? Detomaso did it with the pantera and ford.

C&D will be doing a piece on the car.

Here is the link to all 40 shots we took today

Farnbacher Picture Link

Last edited by Tom R.; 01-14-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:51 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"4. 2005 C6 Vette, 6-speed.
Comparing these cars: Throw out the C6. There's simply no way to put the first 3 in the same ball park. Too much water under the bridge. Looked at the new 996's. but was not impressed with performance or quality. The converted '83: faster, brakes as well, handles almost as well as the C6, but with a sledge hammer attitude. If I want some real fun, I go hunting with this car. Never been defeated on the street. Love to pick on the 'attitude guys' in the back-motored cars. The expressions on their faces are worth every penny. Especially the "Racing, why I wasn't racing" expression after blowing their doors off with their trophy girl friends laughing her *** off.
The '86 and '88, from my perspective: dependable, safe, good handling, inexpensive economy cars that are approaching cult statis. I think these cars have reached the bottom of the depreciation curve, and good examples will be worth more in the future, but not investment grade, except, maybe, for the S2's and 951's.
Any car can be personalized to make its owner happier. Some go for the exterior custom with no performance modifications, some go for performance only, some like the original restorations, others like to combine it all. This is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Fine, but this is all personal preferences. I have never seen an owner of a converted car attempting to shove his opinions down the throat of a purist. As the owner of a converted 944 and an active member of that community, I can say that most of the guys are well versed mechanically with their cars, extremely helpful with accurate information, not only with the conversion aspect, but the entire car and it's workings. The shoe is really on the other foot when it come to purists slamming conversions. Most guys with a hard-on for the converted cars have never seen an example, much less riden/driven one. Sure, there are some real hack jobs out there, but what about the guy here that painted his interior black enamel a few monthys back? Then wondered why the paint was peeling? I joined this forum 3 years ago, and have seen it go from a fun, helpful, insightful, medium, to a mix of a few hardcore purists with the 'attitude', along with a majority of, sorry, wannabe idiots. I know there are newbe's that will always need the help of the experienced car owner, but, Jeeze, a lot of stuff here last year was,... well,... stupid to the point that I questioned the common sense of the author. But, its these hardcore's that are running the "guys with a life" off. I really am sorry to see this forum in this condition. But some of you need to lighten-up, chill out and look around the forest. You might even see a tree that you like " predator

Tom, the problem isn't the cars, the problem is some of the people in the cars. This "guy with a life" also likes the following
" The converted '83: faster, brakes as well, handles almost as well as the C6, but with a sledge hammer attitude. If I want some real fun, I go hunting with this car. Never been defeated on the street. Love to pick on the 'attitude guys' in the back-motored cars. The expressions on their faces are worth every penny. Especially the "Racing, why I wasn't racing" expression after blowing their doors off with their trophy girl friends laughing her *** off."

Very mature attitude now, and almost every other time he posts. It's not the car pal, it's the guy in it that people don't respect.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:21 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

BINGO!!!!

Quick Reply: Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is